Skip to main content

Hello O scale world .

Here we have a circa 1947  Adam & Sons E5  pulling Exacta cars  all built by Bernard Corbin ...cars are molded copper .... the cars I have are from two different sets ...some 1/4" scale ....the others 17/64ths scale ..proper scale for O gauge .....

Cheers Carey

IMG_9116[1]IMG_9121[1]Corbin E with Exacta carscentallinespassengercarsadvertisement1

Attachments

Images (4)
  • IMG_9116[1]
  • IMG_9121[1]
  • Corbin E with Exacta cars
  • centallinespassengercarsadvertisement1
Videos (1)
IMG_9114[1]
Last edited by Carey Williams
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I also have an Adams & Sons E5A, no passenger cars from them, but the Atlas cars do look nice behind mine..........

I have converted it to run on 3rail track and it will pull the rails from the ties.  I would love to have the train of the goddesses behind my my E5

e5ce5be5a 

Below are pictures from Jan 2010 of my Smith & Sons E5 with my HO E5, both are now decailed for 9911A

Attachments

Images (3)
  • e5c
  • e5b
  • e5a
Last edited by Mike Slater

Hello all ...thank you for all your kind words ....  I have a 6th car to add to the train down the road .

The E5 and 3 cars came from the Seacrest collection ....  Corbin is written on the bottom of the cars ...the other 3 cars most recently were in TX .... again  written Corbin on the bottom ......Corbin was an active builder as early as 1946 ..how much earlier I do not know .   Corbin was all things Burlington .... he certainly built some very impressive steamers ...

Mike  nice nickle / chrome plating .....do you have a source for plating ? ....I have an ABA CLW early cast set of PA's ..that I'd like to give the shine to before the war bonnet goes on to replicate the set that ran on the MSI layout ......my brother in law had the original MSI set .......and sold them .....ok it was before I was collecting  vintage O scale ... but that was a legendary  set .....any of the F units from MSI out there ? 

The Exacta cars ..with the molded bodies are impressive (in my book) ....  very fine  lines ...    I draw the  collecting line at 1955 .... so to me it all about vintage  and what was available at the time..the hunt of the find   , the fiddling to get it to look good / ok / passable .....and of course run ! 

Cheers Carey

Mike, your A&S E5 is flat out gorgeous. I'd love to see it fully decked out with decals. Great passenger engines. (Sorry Bob, I like these knife nose E units beaucoup) I would love to do one in KCS/L&A, CRI&P, Seaboard, ACL, FEC, Southern, C&NW or ....yes... L&N. Too many schemes, so little time.

Carey, did you buy anything else like this from the Seagrave estate auction?

Hello all and ATLPETE....

At the same Seacreast auction I bought a nice lot of old Pullmans....  which contained 3 cast sides & wood roof Alexander cars from the 30's ....and a few I have no idea who made them ...yet ......no not Walthers ...Here are the 3 Alexander cars ..which date back to the mid 30's .  

IMG_4188IMG_4189

I'll keep trying to get things running and post videos /photos ......  soon hope to move the hot water heater so I can complete the outside  3rd rail loops ...

Cheers Carey 

Attachments

Images (2)
  • IMG_4188
  • IMG_4189

It may be that the actual casting was done by Adams. & Son but. I believe the E-5s were Pomona Valley products.   They had DZ and TCZ EA/B Shovelnoses units and the General Pershing Zephyr 9908 as well as matching train sets.  
I saw the Corbin unit in his basement and other examples at the Burlington Junior outside third rail layout in the basement of the funeral home in Berwyn, Illinois.  The Burlington Junior had a scratch built Aeolus that was very well done as well.....wonder what became of that equipment/

Charlie Vlk

Carey:

Thank you for sharing the video of your Bernard Corbin E5 & Exacta Zephyr cars.  

I visited your layout on the Saturday (04-02-2022 ?) during the Chicago O-Scale March Meet.  I saw your Corbin E5, Zephyr cars, & CB&Q steamers on your display shelves !!!

You live in CB&Q O-scale Heaven !!!

Do you plan to replace your tank water heater with a wall-mounted tankless water heater ?  OGR Forum member TomTee did that to free up floor space in his basement.  Based on his experience, my tank water heater was replaced with a tankless WH last July.  The tankless WH is on the wall above the floor space formerly occupied by the tank WH.  This allowed the clothes dryer to moved into the floor space formerly occupied by the tank WH.  This was all done so that the former dryer floor space is available for my modular RR’s ROW.

CB&Q Bill

Last edited by CBQ_Bill

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.