Skip to main content

Hello all

Here we have a vintage Empire Builder set..... Adams & Son engine ...cars by Kasiner ? ...built by ? ... in an O scale News article covering the history of Lobaugh ...Al Ellis is stated to have built models of the Empire Builder for the Great Northern ...during the time of the Railroad Fair 1948 ......the pieces here fit the time period .....anyone out there have any additional info about Ellis's Empire Builder models?

There was an O Scale Empire Builder model shown running on the Twin City Model Railroad Club layout featured in the Great Northern's flyer about the rail train given out at the RR Fair .... but not the same engine from roof paint design ...

Engine is in very good condition ..regretfully some of the cars have suffered under rough handling and poor storage ..... some of the cars do have lighting and interiors .

Thank you

Cheers Carey 
1948 RR Fair GN flyer Twin Cities layoutIMG_8851IMG_8852IMG_8853IMG_8855IMG_8858

Attachments

Images (6)
  • 1948 RR Fair GN flyer  Twin Cities  layout
  • IMG_8851
  • IMG_8852
  • IMG_8853
  • IMG_8855
  • IMG_8858
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Wow, this is a cool coincidence.  The Rockford O Scalers just set up and put into service a Precision Scale eight car Great Northern “Western Star” trainset.  The motive power is a Key (Samhongsa) F-7 A/B set.  It is interesting to compare these O Scale models to note the progress that has been made in 70 years!CBB8E63C-D348-4659-976F-1726BA27D525E2A5BD6A-E8BC-4E6B-879A-693268E2F63D4625E7BD-D3A4-45A6-A1EF-0A45FE73F68EEC1D586A-5E40-45D0-A528-6E0D54134D18

Attachments

Images (4)
  • CBB8E63C-D348-4659-976F-1726BA27D525
  • E2A5BD6A-E8BC-4E6B-879A-693268E2F63D
  • 4625E7BD-D3A4-45A6-A1EF-0A45FE73F68E
  • EC1D586A-5E40-45D0-A528-6E0D54134D18

As promised, some EB photos.  I note that I do not have photos stored of the GN 5011 and 5016 box cabs, so maybe a photo shoot is in order.  The FA is Ken Krayer, and I believe, but am not sure, that he was related to Penn Erie.  The E-7 is similar to Adams, but the nose is F-3 from Stevenson and the sides are mine, with soldered rivet strips.  Cars are K-Line and Mac Shops.  I believe, dollar for dollar, the K-Line were as good as we will ever see.  Sunsets are way better, but I did say dollar for dollar . . .Adams E7s 001Great Northern E7Krayer FAHi-dome decals

Attachments

Images (4)
  • Adams E7s 001
  • Great Northern E7
  • Krayer FA
  • Hi-dome decals

Carey, re your original post regarding the EB with the Adam's E-unit. Are all of those cars extrusions? or are some of them composites (rolled sides, wood roofs and floors) Your side photo of the set stack suggests some of the car sides have "waves" in them which is not characteristic of extrusions.

RE observation car illustrated in the Bill Johnson advert appears to be a #8 Kasiner extrusion, in that it is has  the pre-war NYC Pullman Standard window plan those kits (and the fluted #7 version per below) are based on. I had never heard of Bill Johnson passenger cars as a brand or kit until now.

Attachments

Images (2)
  • blobid0: Kasiner #8
  • blobid1: Kasiner #7
Last edited by atlpete

Hello all 

Ok a few photos of a known "Kaisner"   next to Bill Johnson ? ....  note the Kaisner  extrusion  does not include the wrap under at the ends ....that is a separate casting ....

the whole rear end on the "Johnson"  observation is a casting ....Kaisner  ..casting top and bottom ..sides continuous from rest of car .     

Also found  a lone PRR car which I  had assumed was Kaisner ...but same construction as "Johnson"  

Hopefully a  Bill Johnson   flyer or catalog will surfaces to answer more questions .

Cheers Carey 

IMG_9665IMG_9666IMG_9667IMG_9668

Attachments

Images (4)
  • IMG_9665
  • IMG_9666
  • IMG_9667
  • IMG_9668

OK thanks, I can see the difference in that context; the solid and screwed on end casting for your GN ob is indeed way different than the stock Kasiner obs component design, yet the extrusion is a still a fairly good match in a cross section comparison, and again the matching plan hmmmmm. BTW I have some extrusions that I assumed are Kasiner's (again based on the matching plan) but they have that same  lower skirting, so maybe they're not Kasiner's either. I will have to look. If you do indeed locate a Bill Johnson circular or detailed "catalog" listing please let us know. Your GN cars look dented up for aluminum extrusions so maybe it's softer metal than Kasiners?

On your related earlier query CSC's are extrusions manufactured in the late 60's and early 70's by Bob Chernay of Miami FL, his tribulations with the business were documented in a column in the October 1974 issue #34 of OSR . Here's a cross section of the extrusion, some shell shots and an advert with kit offering listed. They are nice kits if a tad "loose" in regard to prototype window plans.

Note the twin vertical ribs under the roof, this is the "tell" for these extrusions, that and as Bob mentioned the embossed and scribed door stamping's which is nice. I haven't made up my mind on what to do with these (have four of them) but am leaning to doing them in IC or KCS. 

Attachments

Images (3)
  • mceclip0: CSC extrusion cut away
  • mceclip1: 2 CSC coaches and coach-lounge
  • mceclip2: OSR advert
Last edited by atlpete

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.