Skip to main content

Hi All, I'm new to the forum. You folks seem like exactly the people to talk to about my Lionel 773 (1950 version). It's a beauty, and I bought it at an auction a couple of years ago during Covid madness. I don't have the intention of running it much, but I did have a curiosity to see if it in fact ran. It does, and seems to beautifully. It's never had smoke in it, and it probably never well. The tender's whistle works as it should, and all is happy.

BUT, when I removed it from the tracks the first (and only time) I noticed that the trailing truck was dangling strangely. On closer inspection I noticed the mounting screw and a washer had come loose. The mounting screw seemed to have some metal filings (my fingers were black when I spun the screw in them).

So, I guess my questions for you guys are these. What do you think happened? Am I missing any parts? What's the sequence of washer to truck to mounting screw? If I need a replacement, is an 18043 Hudson mounting screw assembly compatible? Any other suggestions? Did I break it?

Again, this was a sort of crazy Covid leap and the most expensive loco I've ever bought. I just want to make sure I'm looking after it well.

Cheers

Curt

Curt

Attachments

Images (4)
  • mceclip0
  • mceclip1
  • mceclip2
  • mceclip3

I do not think the washer is proper. The truck is retained in the center with the springs, pins and washers. The shoulder screw you show is just a pivot point. It should go through the truck frame, then the drawbar, and screw into the frame.   There are several good posts on the 773 on this board, including Denis Waldron’s multi page rebuild procedure. Use the search engine to find these. A change was made to the 773 rear truck mounting.   This change replaced a metal washer with a plastic washer, R-78, to prevent the spring from being fried in a derailment.  If you are going to run the loco, best to make sure this change was made.

And thanks too David--from what I was able to find online, the washer doesn't look right as you say. I haven't had a chance to go back and check, but I'll reconnect it as suggested and see how it goes. I'm not sure how to tell if it has an insulated washer. It looks pretty much all-original to me, so that might warrant some investigation.

Cheers,

Curt

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.