Skip to main content

Thanks so much Brewman, I am glad you like this one.   I do spend a lot of time fine-tuning these layouts, its an important part of the hobby for me, though I probably spend TOO much time fiddling with these designs.  This plan is a "classic" and I wanted to really optimize that best conversion to Fastrack layout possible, for all those who love this plan (like me).

Last edited by Ken-Oscale

Jay, I did an expanded layout plan here of 9.5' X 15' (with an optional On30 line), which could be expanded to 16'X20'.   At that size, the minimum diameter could be made to be O-72.    Access for a larger layout needs to be planned and analyzed, the recommended comfortable reach is 30".   

Perhaps then, a layout could be designed in 16'X 20' space, that allows for access around all sides, so the actual layout might be 12'X16' (2' aisles around all sides).   Or, the 9.5'X15' version could be built in your space allowing for generous aisles.   What do you think?   Do you like the inside "pop-up" access holes that many plans have?   I try to avoid those when I can.   To expand to O-72 perhaps a pop-up could be part of the mountain in the middle (without the On30 and without the Aircraft Pylon).

Can you still fit in all the original Lionel accessories? I can't tell you how long I stared at that back cover in awe of that layout.

Jim

I also spent lots of time staring at and dreaming about that layout.  Just how lucky was that little guy in the picture leading his dad down to the basement to play with his Lionel trains.  Talk about the "Good ol' days"

e-Train - TCA, Toy Trains, Train Collectors Association

Did you ever notice the 1957 Lionel catalogue in the lower left of the picture? 

Last edited by SantaFeJim
@SantaFeJim posted:

I also spent lots of time staring at and dreaming about that layout.  Just how lucky was that little guy in the picture leading his dad down to the basement to play with his Lionel trains.  Talk about the "Good ol' days"

e-Train - TCA, Toy Trains, Train Collectors Association

Did you ever notice the 1957 Lionel catalogue in the lower left of the picture? 

For ages, and I date back to the 40's, the trestle mounted smack on top of the track below it had/has bothered me!  

Ron

As there is now some interest in catalog layout, I took a look to see if there were any improvements I could make to my FasTrack version.  Nothing too drastic, but I was able to reduce the max grade to 3.3%, even while I raised the trestle bridge over the yard from 5" to 5.5".  I updated some of the scenery and structures.

1957Catalog_Updated_M914LF_v6f

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 1957Catalog_Updated_M914LF_v6f

Add Reply

The Track Planning and Layout Design Forum is sponsored by

AN OGR FORUM CHARTER SPONSOR

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.