Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Ground cover varies; you might want realistic thick and thin areas, abrupt ends and tapering, etc..  If you spread evenly and mask closely it becomes more abstract and toy like imo. Texture also makes standing figures hard

In general, I pile it on here and there, heavier in corners, etc,; less where people might be, and blow it "clean" once it's sticking well or dry.

Penn-Pacific posted:

you're building this layout? 

that is awesome!!

Yes! It is going to be close to this. I had to make a few adjustments from the original track plan but it is going to be very close. I also plan on moving the ZW and controllers off the top of the layout. Just cannot decide how I want to build the control panel.

Hi Mike,

I knew you had started on this. Looks great!

On my Lionel Dealer Display I sprinkled Lionel 990 "grass" on the green paint while it was wet. I used one of those shaker bottles from Woodland. Do a small area at a time.  I found that I put it on too "light" so went back to fill in.

Also... suggest doing this method on some scrap pieces of wood first for practice! It will help refine the technique. Good luck!

IMG_20170401_182331506

IMG_20170402_211115238

IMG_20170402_143133939

Attachments

Images (3)
  • IMG_20170401_182331506
  • IMG_20170402_211115238
  • IMG_20170402_143133939
Mike M posted:

John,

Can you provide any details on how you built and painted your mountain? It looks great. 

Thanks,

Mike

Thanks, Mike.

First, have to admit that I did NOT use any of the old Lionel Display techniques for mountains. This was one area where I decided to go with an easier method and not use some of the materials that are faithful to Lionel. Basically, I used the tried and true cardboard latticework covered by plaster sheets approach. Strips of cardboard held together with hot glue to make the "frame" and then application of plaster sheets layered over.

To me, the big thing was trying to get the look of a Lionel Display with the colors. I used a variety of browns, greens, yellows and even some reds. Overlay the colors until I got the look I wanted. Very trial and error. I think it turned out well.

Edit...here are a couple shots of the finished layout. Btw, this is the Lionel D-105, 5x9 Dealer Display.

IMG_20190106_195232830

IMG_20190106_195243441

Attachments

Images (2)
  • IMG_20190106_195232830
  • IMG_20190106_195243441
Last edited by johnstrains
Mark Boyce posted:

Mike, super layout you are building!  I recall using paint and brown and green colored sawdust for my ground cover on my teenaged layout (roughly 1968-74).

Lew, you are the man with the plan!!  I never saw any of the old Lionel catalogs.  I lived a long way from a hobby shop and had inexpensive HO trains.

Mark, I'm not much of a collector but I wanted this catalog (because Super O)  so watched for one at a good price on eBay. One of these days if/when I can get a few low-priority bucks ahead I want to buy a few pieces of Super O track, just because it has always looked good to me.

Mike,

This is a real treat to watch. This layout captured my childhood dreams as I spent countless hours imagining this layout in Super O and in my basement.

The only aspect I would change is the back-to-back switches that the elevated and lower levels share making it impossible to have two completely independent loops. It’s not true to the original plan, but might be something to consider. The loops could still be connected elsewhere, just not at a shared “merge”, especially if relying upon 60+ year old 112 Super O switches to keep a potential Gomez Addams disaster from happening.

looking forward to following your progress!

Mack

Seacoast George, that looks like a nice ad for "Paul Jones" whiskey and how to enjoy it. A shot or two, a little ginger ale, some ice, and just take a ride on the Club Car. Rusty Traque, I don't think N gauge was around quite yet, the artist might have been sampling the product while drawing it.

The ad does look about the same era as the Lionel artwork.

JD2035RR posted:

Looking great!  It looks like you’re using the Scotts 4-step program and have a nice thick lawn

One trick I’ve read here on the forum is to use a small clean shop vac to collect the grass that doesn’t stick to the paint so you can reuse it in another application. 

Thanks for the tip!

If anyone has the correct formula to make the glue spray to spray the grass down with after i have vacuumed up the excess i would appreciate it!

So i have made some progress on the layout. I am in the process of getting all of the wire ran to each accessory. Next step will be the control panel. And I will have to admit I am not 100% sure how I want to build it so feel free to offer up any suggestions. I would like to keep it somewhat period correct to what they would have done back in 1958  

Attachments

Images (3)

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.