Skip to main content

The search for the Holy Grail is over. 

20190713_165150I found a model of my first car today at a LHS, Tom's Trains in Ardsley, NY. It came in a box that says City Cruiser Collection, 1/43 scale die-cast. It's a Mustang convertible and the color is close enough, but it's more modern than a 1967. Also, it was only $5.95.

Overall, I'm very pleased with it. Arnold

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 20190713_165150
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Arnold D. Cribari posted:

20190713_165150I found a model of my first car today at a LHS, Tom's Trains in Ardsley, NY. It came in a box that says City Cruiser Collection, 1/43 scale die-cast. It's a Mustang convertible and the color is close enough, but it's more modern than a 1967. Also, it was only $5.95.

Ah yes, the 67 Mustang. Owned one, bought new after I got home and saw it in the showroom waiting to get an oil change. Took less then an hour and drove out. Dark Blue convertible. I miss it more then any other car I ever owned. Met my wife with it and got married and driving off with it.

Thanks for the reminder.

josef posted:

Ah yes, the 67 Mustang. Owned one, bought new after I got home and saw it in the showroom waiting to get an oil change. Took less then an hour and drove out. Dark Blue convertible. I miss it more then any other car I ever owned. Met my wife with it and got married and driving off with it.

Thanks for the reminder.

Josef, we have so much in common. I met my wife too, at the time I had my 1967 blue mustang convertible. 

Worst business decision I ever made was when I gave it away, for free, to the brother of a good friend when the transmission went.

The good news is you can go on the hunt, like I did, on the Internet, at train shows and hobby shops, and you just might find it in O scale, and then you can buy it for just a few dollars and put it on your layout.

Mine only cost $5.95!  What a bargain!

LOL, Arnold

Larry Sr. posted:

Nice Arnold.

I really like Mustangs over the years to.

I do I have a few models all over my layout.

Would have gladly gave you one of the blue ones if I had know you were on the hunt.

I also picked up a new 2019 Bullitt  this year with 480hp 6 speed. The real version. lol

Larry

IMG_1246

Nice - I'm jealous! The 2019 Bullitt would make a nice ride to the LHS.

It's a model of a 65-66 Mustang, so it is not more modern than a 67.

,Arnold D. Cribari posted:
JDFonz posted:

My ‘65 Mustang, and my son, and grandson.021354B3-79E2-4059-8A62-2827264493B9

That's the exact same color blue of the mustang convertible I had. Mine had black interior, and I think the engine of mine was 289 horsepower. Arnold

The “289” designation was cubic inch displacement (engine size), not horsepower. Horsepower on the same sized engine could vary greatly due to type of carburetor, heads, exhaust, and cam installed. Early Mustangs frequently had either a 260 or 289 V8 engine as an option, the base engine was a 200 cubic inch straight six cylinder. Even the little six with a three speed moved the Mustang pretty well, since it was pretty light weight. I bought one in the early seventies for $250, and will always regret trading it, it was a great little car!

Bill in FtL

Bill Nielsen posted:
JDFonz posted:

That's the exact same color blue of the mustang convertible I had. Mine had black interior, and I think the engine of mine was 289 horsepower. Arnold

The “289” designation was cubic inch displacement (engine size), not horsepower. Horsepower on the same sized engine could vary greatly due to type of carburetor, heads, exhaust, and cam installed. Early Mustangs frequently had either a 260 or 289 V8 engine as an option, the base engine was a 200 cubic inch straight six cylinder. Even the little six with a three speed moved the Mustang pretty well, since it was pretty light weight. I bought one in the early seventies for $250, and will always regret trading it, it was a great little car!

Bill in FtL

Thanks, Bill, for providing that information, which I'm sure is more accurate than mine, since I know very little about cars.  Arnold

I hear the regrets at selling early Mustangs. 

I was happy to sell my 1964 1/2 (bought new before they were in showrooms) in 1969.  It was used on the Texas gulf coast and crossed a 3 mile causeway daily and rusted out the sheet metal body from the inside.  The early ones lacked the rust proofing of later years.  The replacement, a new 1969 Mercury Montego lasted 16 years.

Charlie

Arnold love the  Mustang theme I've owned many over the years and have many on my layout 

Bill Nielsen posted:
JDFonz posted:

Bill in FtL

I sold Fords in the summer of 1965 in New Orleans during college. There were actually three different chassis setups to match the engines as noted by Bill above - the 6 had Falcon front & rear suspension and differential, the 260 V8 had Fairlaine 500 suspension and diff, while the 289 V8 (strong) had full-sized Galaxie suspension parts.  The base Mustang stickered for a mere $2395! A maxed-out T Bird was $4200. I sold a red 65 F-100 without a heater, rear bumper, and radio off the showroom floor for $1865!

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.