Skip to main content

I know Lionel made a number of different "scale" Hudsons. How does the 18005 700E stack up against some of the other versions? How easily does it pull the string of 51201 Rail Chief coaches?

They are listed for 72" curves. Has anyone run them on slightly tighter curves and how did it perform?

thanks

Steve

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Just took the loco & tender out of the box and also unwrapped (no boxes) the coaches. Gorgeous set, but I notice the lead car looks like it should be attached to the tender by a draw bar. My tender only has the knuckle coupler. I assume I will need to get creative here and make one. I was surprised the loco ran through my existing 031 curves with no difficulty. The coaches.............no way, as expected. I was also disappointed in the sound quality, but only because we are spoiled by the quality of modern electronics. In 1990 this was probably considered amazing. I'll need to make up a draw bar and take it to work and run it there.

Steve

Originally Posted by Steve "Papa" Eastman:

Just took the loco & tender out of the box and also unwrapped (no boxes) the coaches. Gorgeous set, but I notice the lead car looks like it should be attached to the tender by a draw bar. My tender only has the knuckle coupler. I assume I will need to get creative here and make one. I was surprised the loco ran through my existing 031 curves with no difficulty. The coaches.............no way, as expected. I was also disappointed in the sound quality, but only because we are spoiled by the quality of modern electronics. In 1990 this was probably considered amazing. I'll need to make up a draw bar and take it to work and run it there.

Steve

Guess you're in the same problem I'm in. I guess since you didn't have the box, you didn't get the removable knuckle coupler that came in a tiny ziploc bag.

And yes, 23 year old sound systems do sound their age, but I still like the old RailSounds 1.0 from my youth.

I purchased the Rail Chief cars in the last few weeks also. I have the coupler in the bag. A loop to connect to the cars and a knuckle for the tender. I have not installed it yet.

I have a MTH Hiawatha set with the same cars. The cars do not run on O54 track. The vestibules bind. The O60 must be the bare minimum.

9302012 019

9302012 021

9302012 023

Attachments

Images (3)
  • 9302012 019
  • 9302012 021
  • 9302012 023
Last edited by F&G RY
OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com