Skip to main content

I need some advice as I'm not very tech savy when it comes to command control just yet. 
I'm seriously thinking about getting this old Lionel New York Central Mohawk that was put out in the 90's...there's only one problem. It is conventionally controlled and I would need to have be upgraded with some form of command control. Most likely it was be with a board from the electric railroad company so that it could run on TMCC. 
How hard would it be to upgrade this engine? I would also like to have the sounds and the smoke unit hooked up as well if I can. 

IMG_20150807_164941

Attachments

Images (1)
  • IMG_20150807_164941
Last edited by Stirling R. Callahan
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

That locomotive would require the ERR AC Commander and the RailSounds Commander.  Add the electrocoupler, and the parts cost is in the $150-160 range.  I've done several upgrades of similar locomotives.

The ERR AC Commander and RS Commander will give you better speed control and better sound than the old 1990's electronics as well.

Last edited by gunrunnerjohn
Originally Posted by gunrunnerjohn:

That locomotive would require the ERR AC Commander and the RailSounds Commander.  Add the electrocoupler, and the parts cost is in the $150-160 range.  I've done several upgrades of similar locomotives.

The ERR AC Commander and RS Commander will give you better speed control and better sound than the old 1990's electronics as well.

That's a pretty good deal in my opinion. If you go DCS the motor will have to be changed, There's at least  $100 bucks already.

Last edited by Gregg

Well, those "there are better engines..." comments do us no good - I have a Lionel L3a Mohawk because I wanted an L3a Mohawk (non PS2/3). These things are not interchangeable. This loco is a diamond in the rough. Look at those nice scale-size pilot wheels - yet rated for 042 (I have 072, so...) - a clue that this loco was designed for Lionel by MTH back before Lionel had any Korean connections.

Mine is below; I just finished partially "correcting" an ancient and poor weathering job. It looks better, and I'm happy - except for the largely missing valve gear/rod - Lionel, you should offer these parts!

Anyway, solid, good-looking loco. I sent this one to Frank Timko for a change to a DC can motor. It also now has an ERR Cruise Commander and Railsounds. The smoke is on the original circuit. I love the lack of traction tires.

The Timko conversion was not cheap or fast, but the loco runs very well.

It ran well - for an AC Pullmor - before the conversion, and you could certainly put in an AC Commander, skip the sound (the original Sound of Steam is best buried, if still working) for now, and have a very decent command control L3a Mohawk.

That plastic coal load - I love 'em - makes the ERR antenna situation a 30-second installation. Like a plastic diesel. 

Pardon the quick-and-dirty photos with poor depth-of-field:

DSCN1307

DSCN1310

Attachments

Images (2)
  • DSCN1307
  • DSCN1310

my thoughts:

I have the loco and kept it conventional with the AC motor. It has the scale Hudson type drive so it runs smoother and slower thatn other AC motor locos. I love it.

I have had other locos upgraded to Timko DC with ERR and railsounds and I am pleased with them.

I upgraded my B&A semi scale Hudson to AC Commander and railsounds and it runs slow, staedy, and the sounds are good. I would expect the same for the Mowhawk.

My one caution is on the 18064.

Lionel had a lot of problems with the electronics pakage on these. I don't know anyone that was happy with theirs. I sent mine back to Lionel 4 times. Every board and componenet on that loco must have failed at least once. On the phone, customer service told me they were having a lot of issues and my locoal hobby shop said the same for his other customers. Believe it or not, Lionel told me to send them my receipt and they refunded my complete purchase price. I would avoid that locomotive.

I have this engine and upgraded it to TMCC AC Commander and Railsounds 5 with electro coupler. I used the super 50m Fatboy speaker from Lionel, and not the one that comes with the kit, and it sounds great!! There are plenty of people on the forum that could do the upgrade for you if you feel you cant do it yourself.

The #18064 Mohawk with Elephant ears from Lionel in 1997 was a dog. Some of them suffered from bad paint and poor sounds from a faulty sound board and took forever to break in and run smoothly.

Luckily back then newer shells were available if you sent your original in and to this day you can get the replacement sound board from Lionel.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.