Skip to main content

I have a 1997 Lionel 763e New York Central J1-e Hudson Steam Locomotive w/ Vanderbilt Tender, 6-18056. The smoke unit stopped smoking a few years after I bought it so I sent it to Lionel for a very costly repair. It came back and worked well for about a year and half and stopped working again.  I've tried everything but to no avail. I'd like to replace it with a fan-powered unit if I can. I've seen many different opinions on what to use and how to do it, but I'd rather put my trust with fellow OGR members. Can someone tell me if this is possible? If so, what fan-powered smoke unit will fit and work in this train? Any help is most appreciated.

~ Bill C, Wayne, NJ

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 6-180561_2048x2048
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The level of difficulty will depend if you want the fan smoke to chuff in time, or just run all the time. Also, how it’s wired will depend on how you operate the locomotive. Do you run conventional, or command?........a MTH PS1 smoke unit does fit up in the shell of the 18056 and similar Hudsons. However, custom fabricated brackets will be a must,..Another good candidate and a small package, are the Lionel LC+ smoke units, also requiring custom brackets to mount,......again, the deciding factor will be how you want the smoke unit to operate.

Pat

Last edited by harmonyards

Wiring it to chuff in time will be the trick. I’m sure it can be done, but it’ll be a little tricky, when I modify that family of locomotives, I’m almost always ditching the old Pulmor in favor of a large Pittman DC can motor, this opens up a lot of avenues as far as Cruise, 4 chuffs per revolution, etc,.....however, on a simple fan smoke install on one of these, I’ve used the MTH PS1 fan smoke unit with ease, as there’s only two wires to hook up.......also, mounting the unit in the shell, and not on the chassis makes it a whole lot easier,....less worry about having to line it up with the stack,...some modifications to the chassis so existing bracket levers don’t collide with the smoke unit will be necessary,.....

Pat

I agree with Pat about mounting in the shell. I’ve just gotten use to making a mount to the frame. Anyway, although I’ve used the GRJ chuffer after converting to can motor I think this would work for the original Lionel pulmor motor as well. I had a small flywheel made only to mount the tape. I mounted it to the worm shaft before the coupling.  Could work for either smoke unit.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • ECEFB41A-AA3D-4C68-B999-FBE5545F4A55
@romiller49 posted:

I agree with Pat about mounting in the shell. I’ve just gotten use to making a mount to the frame. Anyway, although I’ve used the GRJ chuffer after converting to can motor I think this would work for the original Lionel pulmor motor as well. I had a small flywheel made only to mount the tape. I mounted it to the worm shaft before the coupling.  Could work for either smoke unit.

That’s a good idea Rod.....

Pat

@romiller49 posted:

There might be a problem with this. I am not that familiar with early TMCC but don't think there is a place on the LCRU to connect a chuff switch to, mechanical or from GRJ's Super Chuffer. The engine now has a reed switch in the tender truck plus an IR tether. If you put a switch in the engine you would have to add a pair of wires from the engine chuff generator to the Railsounds board.

Other options would include replacing the LCRU with an ERR AC Commander which does have terminals to accept a chuff switch as well as being able to drive RS2.5 through the IR tether.

Lastly as the drivers on this engine are screwed on, you could use an optical detector on a driver that would detect lines as a chuff switch. Unfortunately no canned option available yet and though the circuit is simple it still requires skills in fabricating circuits.

Pete

Last edited by Norton

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.