Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

In the beginning with Proto Sound  a -1 meant ProtoSound.  A -0 meant Horn/Whistle board and DCRU.  Remember PS was a Command control of sorts, via bell/whistle and throttle setting.

Once PS-1 was replaced by PS-2 and DCS, -1 is Command and -0 is Conventional of some sort, usually Locosounds.

Anything up to 1999 and even some in 2000 where Protosound.  Later in 2000 and up Proto Sound 2.  Always check instructions and such.  There were some miss marked in that transition period. 

Gary Liebisch posted:

A NH Electric EP5 30-2170 is being advertised (used) as "Proto".   As there is no 30-2170 in the online MTH catalog , it must therefore be a 30-2170-1.  May I assume then, that as a -1 it is a PS2 engine?   I don't think I'd want it if it's a PS1. 

Gary

I frequently see comments on the Forum from people who are reluctant to buy PS-1. As someone who owns and runs quite a few PS-1 locomotives (conventional), that doesn't seem justified to me. Mine have been running trouble-free for more than twenty years. They run smoothly at low speeds, especially after break-in, even without speed control. Just replace the battery with a BCR. The New Haven EP-5 in this video is an MTH Premier with PS-1 from the first run around 2000. As a passenger engine, I run it mostly at mainline speeds, but it also runs well at very low speeds. Just my opinion

MELGAR

Attachments

Videos (1)
MELGAR_2019_0606_01V_NH_EP5_12X8
MELGAR posted:
Gary Liebisch posted:

A NH Electric EP5 30-2170 is being advertised (used) as "Proto".   As there is no 30-2170 in the online MTH catalog , it must therefore be a 30-2170-1.  May I assume then, that as a -1 it is a PS2 engine?   I don't think I'd want it if it's a PS1. 

Gary

I frequently see comments on the Forum from people who are reluctant to buy PS-1. As someone who owns and runs quite a few PS-1 locomotives (conventional), that doesn't seem justified to me. Mine have been running trouble-free for more than twenty years. They run smoothly at low speeds, especially after break-in, even without speed control. Just replace the battery with a BCR. The New Haven EP-5 in this video is an MTH Premier with PS-1 from the first run around 2000. As a passenger engine, I run it mostly at mainline speeds, but it also runs well at very low speeds. Just my opinion

MELGAR

Not clear from the video but is there ENGINE sound as well? Thanks for your time.

Maverick0394 posted:
MELGAR posted:
Gary Liebisch posted:

Gary

The New Haven EP-5 in this video is an MTH Premier with PS-1 from the first run around 2000.

MELGAR

Not clear from the video but is there ENGINE sound as well? Thanks for your time.

The engine sounds can clearly be heard on the video. It is an electric locomotive. The New Haven EP-5s were nicknamed "Jets" due to the loud noise of the cooling blowers which are reproduced well on this model. Turn up your sound volume and pay attention to the sounds as the locomotive crosses the bridge.

MELGAR

MELGAR posted:
Maverick0394 posted:
MELGAR posted:
Gary Liebisch posted:

Gary

The New Haven EP-5 in this video is an MTH Premier with PS-1 from the first run around 2000.

MELGAR

The engine sounds can clearly be heard on the video. It is an electric locomotive. The New Haven EP-5s were nicknamed "Jets" due to the loud noise of the cooling blowers which are reproduced well on this model. Turn up your sound volume and pay attention to the sounds as the locomotive crosses the bridge.

MELGAR

Thanks..wasn't sure if thats what I was hearing.

MELGAR posted:

I frequently see comments on the Forum from people who are reluctant to buy PS-1. As someone who owns and runs quite a few PS-1 locomotives (conventional), that doesn't seem justified to me. Mine have been running trouble-free for more than twenty years. They run smoothly at low speeds, especially after break-in, even without speed control. Just replace the battery with a BCR.

If you don't run command, that makes sense.  However, many folks run mostly or completely on command control, so they'd have a different view.  As for running "smoothly", that's true, but throw in grades and curves, and they don't run at the same speed all the time.

Add Reply

This forum is sponsored by MTH Electric Trains

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.