Skip to main content

Legacy & Remote & Command Base work together.   Other TMCC engines entered work.  2-8-8-2 will not take a command at the Proctor Historical Museum Layout.

I took the engine to my home layout and replaced the dead battery and ID# 35 installed in my Legacy System and everything works fine in DCS and Legacy Remotes.  Problem solved, so I thought.  Back to the Museum layout.   Reconnected Legacy Command Base   setting the frequency # and pairing the # with the Legacy remote.  Reinstalling engine # 35 in the remote. No horn or flashing light.  Went through the reset engine as per the manual problem solving.  I did the procedures Base & Remote, and Frequencies many times.  I even disconnected the DCS and did the process in Legacy only and no response.

We also have a older TMCC Base disconnected and a Remote with an Antenna.  Could the Remote interfere even not in use?

Because the engine is big heavy and articulated instead of removing it from the Track on and off I merely shut the power off and the Transformer off.  Then go through the Program & Run procedures.  Is this wrong?

Gerry

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

@Missabe posted:

I'am surprised no response to my Legacy locomotive communication problem. (2-8-8-2 Lionel No Response) I assume the title is poorly written and does not speak to the problem.

I’m guessing no replies because 1.) You posted at a time when most people are working and 2.) Didn’t include the Lionel part number for anyone to look up to see what specific engine you’re talking about?

@Missabe posted:

Legacy & Remote & Command Base work together.   Other TMCC engines entered work.  2-8-8-2 will not take a command at the Proctor Historical Museum Layout.

...Back to the Museum layout.   Reconnected Legacy Command Base   setting the frequency # and pairing the # with the Legacy remote.  Reinstalling engine # 35 in the remote. No horn or flashing light.

Is it the only engine that exhibits this problem at the museum?

We also have a older TMCC Base disconnected and a Remote with an Antenna.  Could the Remote interfere even not in use?

It shouldn’t unless connected and someone was mashing the buttons.

Because the engine is big heavy and articulated instead of removing it from the Track on and off I merely shut the power off and the Transformer off.  Then go through the Program & Run procedures.  Is this wrong?

No, removing power from the track is fine, but before you do, just make sure the Legacy remote is done storing all the settings.

This sounds to me like a signal problem. It could be a weak connection to the antenna on the locomotive, or maybe a bad ground on the power supply for the Legacy command base.

Updates:  The Locomotive is a Lionel H-7 Class 2-8-8-2 Steam Locomotive and Tender featuring Trainmaster Control.  Concerning the Antennas,  I checked the ends & wire, everything looks in order.   I tried everything in the manual to install Trainmaster Command to no avail and would not Reset.  I tried to reinstall Legacy Cab-1L Command.  Note, It worked on my layout, Legacy Base 6-37156 & Controller 6-37155.  Museum, Legacy Base 6-36156 & Controller 6-37155 should have worked.  Their Trainmaster Command is Model Base -1 & Controller Cab-1.

The manual says, "To operate in Command mode, you need a Command Base(6-12911 and a Cab-1 Remote Controller (6-12868)." the above Legacy Base & Controllers are updated versions and should have worked.

There has to be another way too Reset to Factory commands.  I think this would solve the problems.

Was there another engine (Legacy) that used # 35 and you are in Legacy mode instead of Cab1 or TMCC? A TMCC engine won't do a thing in if the Command base is set for Legacy.

Chuck,

The OP says he was using the 6-37156 Base-1L. AFAIK, this always operates in CAB-1 mode except for the whistle when in quilling mode.

@Missabe posted:

(rplst8) Code( Aux-0) yes.   Chuck, yes, we have two identical 0-8-0 steam Trainmaster locomotives.  Both have had Road & Numbers changed.  They both operate under Legacy & DCS command systems.

The museum Legacy command were purchased used.  Numbers used ?  I tried to use Id #1 and failed to change.

I don't know how to Change Command systems.

Missabe,

If this H7 is a TMCC model and not Legacy, the reset code is 74. Also, if you bought the Legacy base and remote used, check that the power adapter is an authentic Lionel one. It should say “for use with Base-1L”.

If the adapter is not authentic or if the outlet it’s plugged into is not properly grounded, then the RF command signal could be weak.

Gerry, ….if you took the engine home, and set the ID to 35, then when you go back to the museum, and use the remote there, then 35 should call up the engine,…..the ID is set to the radio board, so numbers 00-99 are available TMCC ID’s ….as rpstl8 suggests, this sounds like a signaling issue, …..I seem to recall a museum sometime ago that had house current electrical issues, ground plane or common issues, or something to that nature, ….was is it that museum?…..let’s start at the very beginning and keep things simple, then graduate to the flux capacitor,….if the engine worked at your house, then it ain’t the engine,….plain & simple …

Pat

Last edited by harmonyards

Chuck & Harmonyards.  SUCCESS .  The 1st 4 Powered adapter pictures came with the used Legacy Command.  It is blue with the Lionel logo.  The 5th pictured was purchase on Line to go with the used Trainmaster Command.  The 5th pictured Powered adapter is similar to mine that came with Legacy Command.

For some reason the Lionel Power Adapter would not allow communication with the 2-8-8-2.  Switching Adapters as suggested and using Code (AUX-74) the Horn sounded immediately.  I proceeded with (Engine ID-35 & Set) & (Run) the 2-8-8-2 ran perfectly. Thank you all O Gauge Forum.IMG_1130

Attachments

Images (5)
  • IMG_1066: LIONEL
  • IMG_1111: LIONEL
  • IMG_1113: LIONEL
  • IMG_1119: LIONEL
  • IMG_1130: NONLIONEL

You plugged in a 18V Lionchief DC adapter into a Legacy base????!!! Of course a DC Lionchief adapter would not work.

That's good way to burn up a very expensive and hard to replace base.

Even your 12V AC adapter is not the "correct" one but no wonder you had problems.

Get the right adapter before you cause even more problems.

I know my answer might come off as harsh but clearly you do not understand the gravity of the situation. I'm trying to save you money and prevent a costly mistake.

Do you have a Legacy 990 base- just making sure, VS a CAB1L blue base?

The correct Legacy base adapter is only 8V 2 Amp AC https://www.lionelsupport.com/...CY-BASE-8-VOLT-2-AMP

Yes, click on the link above and order one (they are in stock as of this moment) or find out if you have one. Again, given Legacy bases are out of production, given there is a finite number of repairs Lionel can do before warranty support is gone possibly forever- you really cannot afford to risk damaging a legacy base with the wrong power adapter.

8 Volt 2 Amp AC

https://www.lionelsupport.com/Remote-Control-Base-1L

The correct wall pack adapter for a CAB1L blue base 9V 500mA AC

Last edited by Vernon Barry

Again, here is the problem with using the wrong adapter even if it appears to "work".

#1 you are putting the wrong voltage in higher than expected, and thus the voltage regulator inside is converting that energy into heat- extra heat and could burn out.

#2 Even though it appears to work, again, that is not the correct adapter and likely is not properly grounded internally. This affects the Legacy signal to the trains, but again requires the correct adapter or an alternate that has been verified or modified to have correct grounding.

Last edited by Vernon Barry

O Gauge members thanks again.  I immediately ordered the Lionel 8v Adapter.

The DC adapter with the Legacy Base & Remote as a set.  I will be looking to find out why it was sold as a used Set.

My Legacy Base & Remote is correct and my Adapter is the 630-7156-010 9v AC. Also sold as a used set.  So I'am ok.

Amazon is selling the 12v adapter as a replacement for the Lionel adapter.  All kinds titled as replacements for Lionel adapters.

Gerry

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.