Skip to main content

I want to add to my earlier Blog on front truck jumping off of track especially switches on these scale Proto 2 engines. I just ran my Lionel Vision Line gg1 on the same track area and had absolutely no issues it ran perfect . Culprit on my MTH subject engines is the front trucks. Please advise what I can do to get these darn things from not jumping off of track. Again, the issue is with the front trucks and that is all. If I can solve this everything will be okay. Somehow, I have to do something to these trucks to keep them from jumping off the track. Please help.

Much thanks, Jerry

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I also have the MTH 5 volt NH EF3B.

It wobbled down the track.

The gauge of the powered wheels was too wide. I discovered this too late for MTH to repair under warranty—even though it was a chronic manufacturing defect.

I disassembled the power trucks and carefully squeezed the wheels together in a vice.

That cured my problem.

For your front truck problem, I suggest removing the offending truck. Then check to see how it tracks through your track work. I suspect that the wheels are out of gauge. Then adjust the gauge or get new wheel sets from MTH.

Last edited by ctr

please don't take this wrong way, I just don't want to see you get frustrated like Ive seen a lot folks do. throwing parts at something (anything for that matter) is just a road to frustration. going through the work of swapping parts just to find out it didn't fix the problem gets old quick....before you go taking the trucks off, get your handy-dandy cell phone or digital camera...or a buddy with one and snap some pictures of what you got going on.....There is ALOT of good talented techs on here that can help you pinpoint the problem.....Diagnosis is key, not shotgun repairs....not trying offend anyone Id just hate to see the possibility of you getting frustrated and parking those two beautiful locos!!

Much thanks for all your help. I am definitely getting frustrated but am also determined to get the issue solved.

I will try all your suggestions and see what happens. I know now that one area my gargraves o72 is smaller. I am going to make corrections to that. I also noticed that coming into a straight on one Ross which seems to have problems with both engines that is the straight side of the switch. I am also going to look where I have had problems as you suggested and try to repair that area one at a time. Fortunately there is only a few areas that I'm having problems with. 

Thanks again you all, Jerry

Add Reply

This forum is sponsored by MTH Electric Trains

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.