Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Ok...I'm gonna hang in there...here's a schematic of the 180 watt Powerhouse (probably the 135 watt as well) so you can see how the "on" Powerhouse can drive the off Powerhouse when their outputs are connected together, light the "off" led and warm up the "off" transformer with core losses...even though the "off" Powerhouse is off.

(The diode in the photo is not stock, it is something I added to one of my Powerhouses when I replaced the switch after the original led burned out.)

180PH

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 180PH

Gunrunner john is correct you are back feeding the second transformer and creating 120 volts on the primary. If the plug was disconnected on the second transformer it actually would be live. This can be a dangerous condition. Do not run one tranformer by itself without disconnecting the second one from the TPC. Transformers work in forward or reverse.

Ron

Originally Posted by rjconklin:

these answers do make sence! why does lionel not warn of this condition? shouldn't they say when using 2-ph 180's make sure both are switched on, even if the red light is on the transformer may be off.

I can only assume that the folks at Lionel didn't think anyone would have two connected and not use them.

While the answers don't makes sense to you, they are correct, you are simply transforming the 18V across the secondary back into 120V across the primary.

Remember that a transformer is just two windings, and it works as a step-down or step up voltage conversion device.  The transformer doesn't know what you intend to do.

Originally Posted by RailfanRon:

I don't think anybody thought of it in the beginning. Any time the light is on this means the primary winding is live whether it is plugged in or not. If the switch is in the off position there should be no voltage at the plug itself. If the switch is in the on position there would be 120 volts at the plug.

Ron

Perhaps true, but remember that if this is connected into the circuit, chances are that the switch could be on.  It's not a 100% dangerous situation, but only 50%.  IMO, that's not acceptable.

Well, the correct way would be to insure no feedback of voltage from the secondary to the primary.  Obviously, that's not going to happen with the current product.  Given it's a plain AC transformer, probably the most effective way would be a relay powered by the secondary to transfer power to the outputs.  No power on the secondary, no power to pick up the relay and connect the secondary to the outputs.  Like I said, this ain't gonna' happen with the current product.

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.