Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Lots.   Weaver did a diecast generic one.   It is geared more for 3 rail speeds, so probably runs better with DCC.    Weaver also imported a brass PRR H10, a large 2-8-0.   I have one, a very good runner.    Central Locomotive Works (CLW)   kit is of the same locomotive.    The kit is more than screwdriver, but not super craftsman.

Sunset over the years has imported quite a few.   They did an PRR H8/H9 back in the 80s.    They did a small PRR H6sb in the 90s.    The H6 is a very nice runner and a model of the latest version of the prototype.   I have one of these too.     Sunset also did a B&O 2-8-0 that is very similar to the H6.    These were built when PRR controlled B&O.     Sunset did another 2-8-0 that was presented as a Santa Fe.

Overland models did a very very nice model of a Western Maryland large 2-8-0.    I have seen these run and they seem very nice.  

US Hobbies imported a nice looking UP 2-8-0 many years ago.    It is probably a good runner.   I don't have one, but I have other USH locos and they are all great. 

There are probably others that I don't know about.  

You might also want to consider an 0-6-0 or 0-8-0     US Hobbies imported a USRA 0-8-0 that is sturdy and good runner.    Sunset imported a USRA 0-6-0 in a couple of versions.    I have also seen a Max Grey USRA 0-6-0 built by Toby.   I nothing about this one.    Weaver also imported a USRA 0-6-0.

MTH made its die-cast Premier model of Long Island Rail Road H-10s 2-8-0 #111 (20-3230-2) with scale wheels. It was listed as "Proto-Scale 3-2 3-Rail/2-Rail Conversion Capable." It is a model of a Pennsylvania Railroad H-10s that ran on Long Island. The LIRR was a PRR subsidiary between 1900 and 1966 and used several types of PRR steam locomotives.

MELGAR

MELGAR_2022_0627_01_LIRR_H10_111_12X8_SOUTH

Attachments

Images (1)
  • MELGAR_2022_0627_01_LIRR_H10_111_12X8_SOUTH

The MTH H-10 is a very nice model.  This is the PS-2 (2 rail) version:

As Melgar says, it was available in 2 rail.  I straightend the tether, added a deckplate, and shortened the drawbar:

Pennsy fanatics could complain about the smoke box hinges being obtrusive and the pilot wheels a tad too far forward. And maybe the cab window frames being a bit thick. But I wouldn't.

The PS3 version issued later had a wireless drawbar and a deckplate.  But the smokebox hinges are still obtrusive.  And if I recall the drawbar was too long.   I bought one and returned it because it kept the large hinges, and I had already modified mine for a short drawbar and deckplate.

For what its worth, I sold off all my steam except the H-10.  With its stubby brawny look and puffing smoke its a crowd pleaser. Especially for the crowd under age 10.

Attachments

Images (2)
Last edited by John Sethian
@MELGAR posted:

MTH made its die-cast Premier model of Long Island Rail Road H-10s 2-8-0 #111 (20-3230-2) with scale wheels. It was listed as "Proto-Scale 3-2 3-Rail/2-Rail Conversion Capable." It is a model of a Pennsylvania Railroad H-10s that ran on Long Island. The LIRR was a PRR subsidiary between 1900 and 1966 and used several types of PRR steam locomotives.

MELGAR

Here is an MTH engineering sample (unpainted one on the right) that I got on ebay and eventually traded to a friend for the CLW one in the above photos (note all of the brass detail parts):

IMG_2570IMG_2571IMG_2573IMG_2574IMG_2575IMG_2576IMG_2565

Attachments

Images (7)
  • IMG_2565
  • IMG_2570
  • IMG_2571
  • IMG_2573
  • IMG_2574
  • IMG_2575
  • IMG_2576
I have the MTH H-10 in 3-rail. I understand it can be converted to 2-rail. How is that done?
First you need to have a PRR H-10 labelled as "Proto-Scale 3-2,  3-Rail/2-Rail Conversion Capable."  The very earliest H-10s were not,  the subsquent runs with PS 2 and PS 3 were
Second, if you are going to run on 2 rail track,  the H-10 will run much better if it has "Scale Wheels". The product number ends with "-2".  For example 20-3230-2.
To convert from three rail to 2 rail, simple pull the pick up rollers off and flip the switch on the tender that says 2 rail/3 Rail
If you have a Hi-Rail version (Product number ends in -1)  You can still convert to 2 rail operation using the same procedure, but it will probably have problems running through 2 rail switches, as  the wheel flanges are two wide to go between the running rail and guard rail
I have the MTH H-10 in 3-rail. I understand it can be converted to 2-rail. How is that done?
First you need to have a PRR H-10 labelled as "Proto-Scale 3-2,  3-Rail/2-Rail Conversion Capable."  The very earliest H-10s were not,  the subsquent runs with PS 2 and PS 3 were
Second, if you are going to run on 2 rail track,  the H-10 will run much better if it has "Scale Wheels". The product number ends with "-2".  For example 20-3230-2.
To convert from three rail to 2 rail, simple pull the pick up rollers off and flip the switch on the tender that says 2 rail/3 Rail
If you have a Hi-Rail version (Product number ends in -1)  You can still convert to 2 rail operation using the same procedure, but it will probably have problems running through 2 rail switches, as  the wheel flanges are two wide to go between the running rail and guard rail

Sounds like a job for @harmonyards; he’s turned down my drivers and does wonders with pilot wheels.

Here is a  thought on MTH steamers for use in 2 rail.    Years ago, I reviewed an MTH 2-10-4 in 2 rail for a magazine.    It had solid side rods, the rods connecting the drivers to each other.   (The main rod is one from the cylinders to the drivers).    It had all flanged wheels.   It ran fine and was a pretty nice model.   In some respects it was nice than the Max Grey version I owned.    However, it would not go around my 52 inch radius curves (0104).    I laid some temporary track and found it requred 68 inch radius (0136).     My Max Grey brass version had jointed side rods and would go around the 52 inch radius. 

I have noticed that all the steamers I have seen made first for 3 rail have solid side rods and blind drivers except at the ends.   The side rods are long stampings with the representation for the joints etched in.    All the brass steamers I have seen have jointed side rods whether or not they have blind drivers.   

solid side rods do NOT allow the drivers to move sideways any for a curve, no matter how much sideplay they have.    They force the rear drivers to go opposite to front ones because they form a rigid parallelogram with the drivers.     Real steamers have the jointed side rods.

The diagram below illustrates this:    The blue blocks represent the drivers, the red bars  the side rods and the  green dots representing joints.    The top one is the loco on a straight.    The second one is what happens going into a curve with rigid (solid) side rods, and the bottom one is what happens going into a curve with jointed side rods.

My personal choice is to stay away from MTH steamers for 2 rail because this requires much larger curve radius, and we already use larger radii.

By the way, weaver diecast steamers also came with rigid side rods.   I had an O-8-0 that would not go around 48 inch radius (096) while my brass one had no problems. 

Attachments

Images (1)
  • mceclip0

PRR Jim

The MTH 2-10-4 was notorious for having all drivers flanged and a long wheelbase, which as you pointed out severely compromised their ability to negotate anything less than 68" radius curves.  Later MTH steamers, even with ten drivers, had the center drivers blind and they could go around much tighter curves.  I have two MTH Decapods (2-10-0), a Consolidation (2-8-0), and a Mikado (2-8-2).  All had no problems with 44" radius curves.

Incidentally, the prototype Decapod had blinded center drivers as well!

Last edited by John Sethian
@prrjim posted:

The diagram below illustrates this:    The blue blocks represent the drivers, the red bars  the side rods and the  green dots representing joints.    The top one is the loco on a straight.    The second one is what happens going into a curve with rigid (solid) side rods, and the bottom one is what happens going into a curve with jointed side rods.

My personal choice is to stay away from MTH steamers for 2 rail because this requires much larger curve radius, and we already use larger radii.

By the way, weaver diecast steamers also came with rigid side rods.   I had an O-8-0 that would not go around 48 inch radius (096) while my brass one had no problems.

Excellent analysis. Thanks for the explanation. This was really helpful. I may keep the MTH on the 3-rail layout and just find a 2-rail 2-8-0 somewhere.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.