Skip to main content

Also still interested in this project. In addition to (or in place of) my earlier choice of SP black and orange tiger stripe, or Black Widow, I would also be interested in an undecorated version.

I’m not familiar enough with the mechanics of previous or current Atlas or other O scale locomotives, so I can’t comment on which motor format is the best option, but whichever format will allow for slow, scale speed running would be my preference.

I wonder how well these would sell.     NJCB did the S1-S4 series years ago.     Overland or Oriental did at least some of them.    And The Carworks did the whole series around the time they did their RS1, baldwin switchers, and FM locos.   

All these brass ones still pop up at shows regularly in the 300-500 range for the most part.    I have an NJ S1 that I remotored with a can motor and it is a great runner.    The NJ ones all had All-Nation Drives I think.    And AN at some point offered new motors and motor mounts to put in Pittman Can motors.

I’m still interested in buying at least one, probably two ALCO S’s. I’d really prefer mine in Santa Fe’s zebra stripe paint scheme, DCC, and two-rail wheelsets.

in these troubled times, I’d be willing to pay a deposit in advance.

EDIT: With all due respect to Jim, those brass switchers might be commonplace in his part of the world, but down here, two-rail O locomotives of ANY sort are so scarce at train shows that the total number for sale at even the larger Texas shows can be counted on the fingers of one hand with digits to spare.  Even then, what is offered is old Lima Euro-junk, the 1970’s Atlas two-axle switcher, and maybe somebody’s battered, ancient Hudson.

Last edited by Mister_Lee

Sorry, no progress on a 2 rail alco S unit.   Especially with this virus thing right now.  Everyone is dealing with just keeping things as normal as possible , and not thinking about new stuff.

I give the ppl i deal with a nudge every so often, but dont want to be a PITA to ppl, either.  Right now ive got 2 different special run cars in the pipeline at Atlas, and  4 versions of  the woodside coach at MTH.  We'll see how things go....

beth

When I mention shows, I am referring to O Scale Shows.    Even here where I live, That same condition exists at generic train shows that have mostly HO and Old Lionel stuff.    There is very little if any O Scale 2 rail at these shows.

ON the other hand, the 2 rail focused (allow 3 rail) O Scale shut as the Cleveland show in Nov, the Eastern O Scalers Meets in Strasburg, The Midwest O&S show in Indianapolis, and the March Meet in the Chicago area, are mostly O 2 rail.    The Chicago area show is in limbo after this year, because the sponsor has retired.    There is also an O Scale West in California and I think one recently popped up in the Atlanta are.

I am fortunate that a number of these are within an easy days drive for me.    

@prrjim posted:

ON the other hand, the 2 rail focused (allow 3 rail) O Scale shut as the Cleveland show in Nov, the Eastern O Scalers Meets in Strasburg, The Midwest O&S show in Indianapolis, and the March Meet in the Chicago area, are mostly O 2 rail.    The Chicago area show is in limbo after this year, because the sponsor has retired.    There is also an O Scale West in California and I think one recently popped up in the Atlanta are.

I am fortunate that a number of these are within an easy days drive for me.    

As of today, the Aug. Strasburg meet is still on.

As far as I know the Midwest O&S show in Indianapolis in Sept. is still on.

I have no news on the Cleveland show in Nov. at this time; still on as far as I know.

O Scale West in California at the end of this month last I heard was cancelled.

The Atlanta meet was in Feb.

Most of these meets are annual although a few are more frequent.   I am pretty sure there are a few more in the NE that I am not aware of.    Also, I vaguely remember hearing of one in Texas, but not sure.    I did not mean to leave any off my list, I just listed the ones that came quick to mind.

If the atlanta meet was in February, there is a chance there will be another next feb.    On the chicago show, which I attended, there were rumors that someone was negociating to take it over.    However, there had been no more news or announcements.

Gilmaur offered a brass and white metal kit back around 2007 that had the extra cost option of either type truck.  Weaver, CLW or All Nation were the recommended drive line donors.  Gilmaur might still be around and potentially save the op some manufacturing steps.  My example, still unbuilt, came with Blunt sideframes.

Bruce

Last edited by brwebster

Regarding the Texas two-rail O scale show, it has moved out of state. It’slikely that at least one member of the Dallas club will show up at the O scale event paired with the NMRA National Convention in July.

But to return to the main topic, even back when the SW O scalers met in Fort Worth, there was not only a shortage of two-rail ALCO S units, but two-rail O scale diesel switchers of all types.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.