Skip to main content

If the layout is controlled with DCS it is no harder to power the frogs with DC than with AC track power. The hard part is insulating the frog area and soldering the power lead. The frog power is fed through a relay actuated by the same LCS signal that operates the Tortoise turnout machines.

My 2 rail layout is Legacy and LCS controlled. Track power is AC from a pair of ZW-L's. Many of the older Legacy and TMCC engines are not compatible with DC track power. 

bob2 posted:

I run straight DC, with Variacs, big capacitors, meters, and circuit protectors on input and output.  And a big red light to remind me to turn it off.

I realize that no self-respecting model railroader can live without a reversing loop. I envy those with that kind of space - a 14 foot square chunk of basement just to turn a train?  A dogbone is my dream layout - four tracks.  Takes 14 x 30'.  No desire at all to reverse train direction.  

Right now it is four ovals.  Still takes a lot of room.

I am going battery power in 2020.  Still won't need a reversing loop.

I have often thought about using a Variac. I assume you are also using some petty hefty power resisters or do you just have a Variac followed by a bridge rectifier then a capacitor bank and do not go above 12 Volts on the variac for max power?

Its kinda fun what happens when one asks a 2 rail question on a really good 3 rail forum!  For all things relating to 2 rail DC control please contact Dallee Electronics and download their really well done wiring diagrams.  Their boards are built like military grade electronics, some of my boards  are over 40 years old or more.  This includes their DC reverse loop controller (Trak-DTRL).  They even use screw terminals for hooking up wires, what a concept!    And just to feed the fire, ALL model railroading is fun, 2 rail, 3 rail, Z, N, HO, O, G, live steam outdoors, all of it is FUN!  Russ

Last edited by ChiloquinRuss

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.