Skip to main content

Don't take this the wrong way I love you blokes I love the OGR forum, I'm not a 3-Rail knocker, indeed I'm a fan of you 3-rail blokes but It seems I'm in the minority here as far as 2-rail goes.

Is there any forums that talk about 2-rail layouts what their doing, what they have done, what their future plans are, or have all 2-railers reached the age where they just can't be bothered anymore and would rather talk about the old days or what they built years ago have they all reached a point where everything is just to hard for them. Where are all the 2-rail layouts gone that the ordinary I repeat ordinary bloke builds I'm not talking about wealthy people or clubs or professionals, they are well documented, just average ordinary battlers like me who don't care about convention and are prepared to go public with their mistakes and lack of creativity. I'm talking about the average bloke who is not ashamed to show their average work we can't all be artists and mechanical engineers how about showing your work here I won't laugh I will encourage you we can help each other I might even find the time and tell you the real truth on how I build things I'm not as good as some people think, I cut corners when it suits me. Show us your layouts (if there are any left!) I'll like you. Roo.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hey Roo, Pierre here. I am still an O scaler, I am a 3 railer postwar runner too.

best of both worlds.

I Build for O scale 2 rail, slow harbor switching across the floatbridge to the railfloat and small yards.

I Run postwar growling heavy 50's Lionel diesels in return loops followed by various colorful rolling stock, a real time machine experience.

My former waterfront O scale switching  layout is being  simplified and rebuilt. It is currently in pieces with all equipment safe and well labeled  in storage, so to be resurrected. Not fed up or too old yet...lol.

There are plenty of 2 railers out here ROO. I think they are fascinated by what you post here, 3 railers share that. There are certainly possible places to show and share anyone's scale building endeavors, simple or complex. 

I will post "my rebuilding" on a few different sites available here too.

until then we are truly motivated by your endeavors.

all my best mate.

prrjim posted:

There are some of around that mention our layouts and still do things.   My layout is built, but I still work on it and operate it regularly with my round robin crew.   

Most times when I mention building experiences on this forum, it is just ignored, so why bother.

What's your proper name prrjim ? That is one of the problems with Forums we use have oddball names I might know you, My proper name is Neville Rossiter I don't know why I never used it in the first place. My main interest is in layouts I do modify my diesels and rolling stock but I like to see what people are up to on their layouts. If you posted about steam locos I would have no interest at all I wouldn't know what you are talking about! 

Pierre who posted on this thread just below you is a very good modeller I wish he would post more often showing his work Thanks. Roo. (Neville.) 

ROO,

You post sounds like we have a lot in common,I wish you were near. REALLY  ENJOY YOUR LAYOUT!! IT'S "TOP NOTCH." 

I model CSX and the raillines that compose it-the predecessor lines such as Family Lines System,Chessie System&Seaboard System. 

My locomotives are mostly 4 axle,with 2, 6 axle diesels that in my mind,will handle most trains not local switching. My layout,if it ever gets built,will be concentrated on switching.

Structures:these will have to consist of cardboard boxes that our dogfood arrives in,as funds won't allow wood or plastic,as I'd prefer.

Size:my layout size is 25ft wide and around 40-45ft in length,with a furnace and water fixtures to work around. I have shelving built on 3 sides with 4 levels. I'm using the 2nd tier from the floor upwards,for my trains and that measures roughly 36&1/2" high. I'm using Atlas #5 turnouts,mostly used,as well as mostly used track with mostly 60"radius curves as well as radius' down to 50". I hope to use groundthrow switchstands from ALL ABOARD TRAINS,that function just as the prototype functions. Couplers will be of the Protocraft variety with some Kadee. This is long range do to funding. The couplers come from Jimmy Booth of Glacier Park Models and are of the lower and double "safety shelf" variety,with some regular E type couplers from Protocraft. The more work I can do by hand like on the prototype railroads,the better I like it. I hope to put on airlines that the late Ben Brown made for O Scale some day.

The basement is full as when we sold my wife's home,everything got moved into a garage,basement and storage sheds. But I'm optimistic,I can keep a lot of this under the 36&1/2" shelf.

Industries:I live in the Midwest USA,in the State of Indiana. Grain farming is very heavy in my state as well as surrounding states,so grain cars of the 5161&4750 cubic foot variety are popular with me. The 4427 is basically out of my era but I will still fit a few of these in.

Tank cars,boxcars,and bulkhead flatcars are also to be heavy on my layout for lumber and chemical factories as well as grain handling industries such as NABISCO and or GENERAL MILLS. I'm also planning a paper factory.

Funding is from sales of my HO equipment which is going to seriously limit what goes on. I'm at a standstill in funding now. At 61,I'm wondering if starting in a new scale,(I spent at least 30 years in HO),is going to work.  

There's another group I'd like to see you join with no disrespect intended to this one,this is my main group,but it's an Atlas 2and3rail Group. It's Discussions are focused on Atlas 2&3rail eqipment of all types,so it's kind of restricted,but still fun.

OSCALE YARD SALE, is a place to find some good buys once in a while.

Well that's all for now,my friend,look forward to many further conversations.

As Always,

Al Hummel

Roo posted:

It seems I'm in the minority here as far as 2-rail goes.

Maybe, but I enjoy your "minority posts"

Is there any forums that talk about 2-rail layouts what their doing, what they have done, what their future plans are,

I tend to post here, but only when I think I have something that will be of interest

or have all 2-railers reached the age where they just can't be bothered anymore and would rather talk about the old days or what they built years ago have they all reached a point where everything is just to hard for them. Where are all the 2-rail layouts gone that the ordinary I repeat ordinary bloke builds I'm not talking about wealthy people or clubs or professionals, they are well documented, just average ordinary battlers like me who don't care about convention and are prepared to go public with their mistakes and lack of creativity. I'm talking about the average bloke who is not ashamed to show their average work

I have tried to do that over the years with my "HOW I DID IT"  series of posts.  I appreciate it when others do the same type of thing

we can't all be artists and mechanical engineers how about showing your work here I won't laugh I will encourage you we can help each other I might even find the time and tell you the real truth on how I build things I'm not as good as some people think, I cut corners when it suits me. Show us your layouts (if there are any left!)

My layout is still in my basement...see below

I'll like you. Roo.

Attachments

Images (4)
William 1 posted:

Wow Sethian - I thought that was the real deal till I enlarged and took a good look at the ground cover in the first pic.  That is some amazing modeling.

I second that!! Great looking layout and great work on the trains. Not to take anything away from Roo's great work or so many others here on this forum as well.

There are so many inspirational posts in 2 rail, I'm actually surprised that there's not more new people following and starting layouts in 2 rail. The tuff years of having to scratch build everything is in the past for those that wish to have stuff RTR and an easier time at it. We can choose what we wish to do on our own to personalize our layouts.

I have to believe that the main thing is the time of year and the number of people doing other things until the weather turns worse.

Just an average guy with an  overall plan.  We purchased the largest basement available within our budget then started to clean out the space, paint the walls, laser a datum line, and hang 200 linear feet of module knees.  Then, town by town, I added 8' modules like dominos as it kind of seemed fit.  My plans were sketched on the back of a 11 1/2"  X 17" enlargement and then got lost, so it then just grew organically, powered by memory and  imagination.    I am not so much an operator nor   a looper.  The RR purpose is to provide commuter passage to end of run towns  and supply the merchants with fuel, building supplies and out bound shipping.

This was to be a meandering country connecting RR on one level with mild topographical features but I kept finding ways of adding spurs and elevations.  Having a busy outside work schedule there were many days driving when my idle mind would conger up a new twist. 

Now I am working on a fifth level running with 3r at 20" and 60" plus three levels of scale 2 rail between them.

Three dozen or more  engines and about 130 +/- cars are more than sufficient to perform all expectations plus a string of RDC's and gas electrics.

1100 feet of track with about 95 turnouts and five TTs turned out to be a bit much, but it seemed to be a good idea at the time.  Smaller is much better, really!

Al Thanks for the call and the report, likewise John (great photos and layout) I read all your postings .Tom that doesn't sound like your "average layout" sounds like another Ben Hur ! Ha Ha I wouldn't mind seeing some photos one day of your progress.

Sunday shunter that track is amazing and trains actually run on it if those are old Atlas switchers I have a box of them some missing the cabs I don't use the rest of them I go to the UK every year this year my son and family are coming out here so we are not going I could throw in a few locos in the suitcase if you want them and bring them over no charge they are free!  He lives in the Kent area but we travel all over the place when we visit. Let me know and I will dig them out and see what in have otherwise they will go into the trash eventually.

Look the fact is the 3-rail blokes seem to be posting threads about layouts all the time and there are some great one's they have a lot of fun I just thought the 2-rail bloke could to. I have to be honest I am neutral when it comes to this 2 and 3 rail business I have never seen a 3-Rail layout except on the internet so to me everyone here are just Model Railroaders as long as it's O gauge/scale I'm happy.

Thanks everyone for posting please keep doing so lets give those 3-rail blokes some competition! I'm laughing.  Roo or Nev call me either I don't care.

2 Rail O Scale

Neville,

Can't help you with a forum name, but....

Get on "You Tube" and do a search for O Scale 2 rail and you will get stuff like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAjrZ_t6w28

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOTT4et0wFw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1BKGncHvWU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-7d1laEEz4

If you search Chi-Town Union Station on the "You Tube" search you will get a bunch of videos of a huge layout in Michigan

Simon

Last edited by Simon Winter

Hi,

I'm still working on my layout and I am really pleased with the operation, the make-up of the trains and the state of the layout in general at this point. My wife decided she want to delay our move to Florida for 3 years until our niece is out of high school. The train building is built there already and ready for transport of the layout.

My recent project was to make 26 marker lights out of brass and that was a real challenge.

The next project is to build a mine complex.

I think it has been a while since I've posted any photos and should probably take a few shots.

At any rate, I enjoy looking at the images other people post.

Flanger (Robert), your photos are showing "image not found"  on my screen.

Last edited by christopher N&W

There is an awful lot of O scale "days gone by" compared to what is going on today.  My 5 current pictures below.  Layout is three years okd but alot came from previous layout,  approx 20 x 40 plus a huge storage loop.  Went DCC in 2013.  Some body asked what it was like and my answer was is was like getting rid of the third rail.

Attachments

Images (6)
  • mceclip0
  • mceclip1
  • mceclip2
  • mceclip3
  • mceclip4
  • mceclip5

I'm not good at explaining things.....

We are seeing some fabulous layouts here and I never get tired of looking at them but I would like to see more  layouts that are, just started, half built, almost finished, that type of thing and blokes asking advice on how to do certain things I know the forum owners like to categorize subjects but this is a 2-Rail thread and it would be good if we could talk about how we do things on our layouts right here I guess where I live has something to do with this as it's rare I ever talk to anyone about American O Scale face to face. I do know there are other forums around that do that but what I like about this forum is everybody here seems to have fun while discussing their hobby.

Tom. I think your being modest.

ASTARR. great stuff very nice mate.

Chris. love to see some more photos.

Simon. Those are great videos.

Dick the main thing is to have fun who cares how you go about it. look at me I'm doing six projects at once some day they will be finished!

Stephen. 60 X 20 now I would love to have that 60 instead of 30 which I have now well it's really 29 X 29 the room another 30 feet and I could have a great staging area and improve the Steel Mill if my missus read this she would say no matter how much room you have you would never be satisfied ! Ha Ha she is probably right as usual.

I am building a staircase from the station platform up to the road bridge at the end of the staging area see photo early days yet.. Thanks keep the photos coming. Nev.

PS. Anybody building or already built a road bridge across their tracks if so any chance of a photo I might copy you. (Roo)

DSC00115

Attachments

Images (1)
  • DSC00115

[quote]Sunday shunter that track is amazing and trains actually run on it if those are old Atlas switchers I have a box of them some missing the cabs I don't use the rest of them I go to the UK every year this year my son and family are coming out here so we are not going I could throw in a few locos in the suitcase if you want them and bring them over no charge they are free!  He lives in the Kent area but we travel all over the place when we visit. Let me know and I will dig them out and see what in have otherwise they will go into the trash eventually.[/quote]

Nev, thanks for the offer! I have another Atlas WTD Switcher on the workbench at the moment & I have a couple of spare body shells, but I would be interested in the wheelsets, if you're going to bin them. They suffer from split gears on the axles - no surprise I suppose given how old these models are now, & I don't have any more axles with good gears to hold as spares. As they're also heavy little critters, if you didn't mind stripping out the wheelsets (just 6 screws hold on the baseplate) & bring just those to the UK they'd save you some kg on your luggage allowance!! I'd take the flangeless wheels too, as the axle is still part of the drivetrain.

Cheers, Jordan.

Roo.   The truth is acquiring the space for a layout, is the first great challenge. It took four years to build my last room, I had to build it myself, that's all I could afford, satisfying when Don though.  It's back to the drawing board now, this will be my third building, they each get better. The things we do for model trains!!!

Jordon.    Atlas gears, my fix is to use K&S tubing, around the same diameter as the shoulder of the gear, I forget the size of hand. Then carfully fill the shoulder til you get an interference fit with the inside diameter of the tubing, usually you need a slight tapper on the shoulder, and press it on, it has to be tight, one on each side. The Atlas F9 in my video has all its gears done this way. I trust this gives you an alteritive to fixing your gears, I've fixed a few Atlas loco,s this way including your shunter.           cTr....( Choose the Right )

Last edited by Stephen Bloy

Hi Jordan

You going to Telford this year - 31 Aug/1 Sep?  I'm trying to remind everyone that we can use cafe tables for our small number, so 2.00pm both days, very informal meet, just Stars'n'Stripes and Maple Leaf mini-flags on the table(s).  

Now, exactly what do you need for the WDT....

Hi Nev, see you next year at Telford?  Sat/Sun 5-6 Sept.  Now tell me, what's missing in this forum for asking straightforward "How do you ..." questions?  Remember the Gauge O Guild forum had headings to put particular subjects in (the occasional "Anyone heard from Nev..." crops up).

Jason

Roo posted:

Is there any forums that talk about 2-rail layouts what their doing, what they have done, what their future plans are, or have all 2-railers reached the age where they just can't be bothered anymore and would rather talk about the old days or what they built years ago have they all reached a point where everything is just to hard for them. Where are all the 2-rail layouts gone that the ordinary I repeat ordinary bloke builds I'm not talking about wealthy people or clubs or professionals, they are well documented, just average ordinary battlers like me who don't care about convention and are prepared to go public with their mistakes and lack of creativity. I'm talking about the average bloke who is not ashamed to show their average work we can't all be artists and mechanical engineers how about showing your work here I won't laugh I will encourage you we can help each other I might even find the time and tell you the real truth on how I build things I'm not as good as some people think, I cut corners when it suits me. Show us your layouts (if there are any left!) I'll like you. Roo.

Neville:     There is one major flaw in your reasoning! YOU and your layouts (and I have looked at a bunch of them over the years) are anything but ORDINARY, they are first rate.

Simon

PS: Here is a post on a layout under construction. If I find others, I will post them here.

https://ogrforum.ogaugerr.com/...e-road-layout-update

Last edited by Simon Winter

I'll tell you what Jordan I might be able to give the wheel sets to my son to take back at Christmas (2019) he flies business class I fly economy which means he is allowed more luggage and weight otherwise I can bring them over myself in September 2020 I hope to go to Telford that year as well as visit the family of course! It's not a drama for me going from Australia as my luggage is light it's coming back that's the problem.

Either way you will get them how many I don't know till I dig them out. I'm waiting for glue to dry on my stairs at the moment that's why I'm here.  Nev. (Roo)

Jordan and members.

Before I made an idiot of myself by promising things I might not have I thought Nev you better go outside to the shed and check what is there... only 40 years of O scale items or junk in that shed but being the organised person I am  look what I found in the second box eleven (11) of the little critters.so the crisis is adverted and I'm not embarrassed after all.  I'm really happy to help you Jordan same goes for anyone else here but the shipping is what kills everything in this case there is no shipping or costs to easy! Nev. 

The second photo is how I make a critter out of two Locomotives the loco on the left is a 1/43 Rivarossi the centre is an Atlas 1/48 and the blue critter on the right is what I end up with . I use the Rivarossi chassis the Atlas cab and bonnet add plenty of weight and Voila! a neat little critter hauling ingots from the BOF to the Stripper. This thread is getting better all the time great photos great videos. 

Good to hear from you Jason. I hope I make it to Telford next year and if you don't mind, give my regards to the blokes at the Guild I miss some of them but I made a decision and that's it.

DSC00118DSC00117

Attachments

Images (2)
  • DSC00118
  • DSC00117
Roo posted:

I am building a staircase from the station platform up to the road bridge at the end of the staging area see photo early days yet.. Thanks keep the photos coming. Nev.

PS. Anybody building or already built a road bridge across their tracks if so any chance of a photo I might copy you. (Roo)

DSC00115

Roo,

I,m really enjoying your thread and the excellent modeling... 

if you look up Art Williams layout.. Chugman is his forum handle.. he has done one of the best models of a road bridge like you describe that I have ever seen!  If I find it again I'll post a link....

Roo, et al

I love the concept of this thread, it is very timely for me.  To kick off my own small contribution, here's a pic of my first portable-layout section:

It is 400mm wide and approximately 1350mm on its longest side, 1180mm when measured along its centerline.  I have been messing around with this idea for a very long time, went through heart surgery and marriage break-up which threw some major spanners in the works but I am finally moving ahead once more.  In the beginning I made up a list of Givens & Druthers which helped me realise that I was more interested in railfanning than operation; big steam locos at the head of big trains is what I like best, followed by waterfront scenes and dense urban industrial, with operation coming a distant third - if I ever get to #2 then #3 will naturally follow anyway.  I needed large curves for those big trains but I lack space in which to build a permanent layout so a sectional portable layout is what I came up with.  The sections are all the same shape, and eight will make up an octagon able to fit a circle of track of radius 1500mm.  There is also space to fit easements where a curve meets straight track.

Scenery is to be foam blocks glued onto each section, protected on the sides with 3mm plywood fascias cut to match the contours of the foam.  A kit of hot knife and free-hand sculpting cutter arrived from Hot Wire Foam Factory a month ago (gosh they are such nice people to deal with!) and I built my own vertical hot wire cutter for dealing with the big 8'x4' sheets of foam I purchased from my local hardware store.  I'm thinking three layers of 50mm (2") foam under the track base to give me enough depth for 'vertical relief' below track level then a strip of 12mm ply for the track base and more foam above & cut around that.  I'm hoping to keep the finished weight of each section below 15kg (33lbs) - nasty back problems can totally ruin my day if I try lifting anything heavier than that.

Sorry, where are my manners - translation of metric to imperial: layout sections 16" wide x 53" on long side, 46.5" measured at centerline, track radius 59".

The layout section was built using a jig to ensure that every section is the same.  Each section is built upside down so that all the framing lies perfectly flush.  The blocks at the rear of the jig are removable wedges - once complete, the wedges are knocked out and the section pops out with no effort.  I am using 3mm plywood webs and gussets with 10mm square pine along top and bottom edges of all the webs, with the exception of the 12mm ply end-plates - I made these thicker so that I can match-drill pairs of sections and insert alignment dowels.  There are no nails or screws whatsoever, everything is glued.  A bare section weighs 2kg (4.4lbs) and is extremely strong & stiff.

I am currently waiting for the electrician to finish wiring up my shed, which includes a decent-sized workshop 8m x 3m, before I make the rest of them; should be about two weeks.

It would probably be sensible to start my own thread to show the finer details of construction, and post highlights here.  Next installment will be a track plan.  Until then, regards, Paul - Whangarei, New Zealand.

Hi Paul

You lucky devil - starting afresh in O 

I have a garage full of, er ... projects?  Yes, years of projects and having somewhere even just to test-run locos would be a good start.  Yes, UK garages are smaller.  So, big locos eh?  Sounds like part of a mainline loco facility with a bit of freight passing by to a yard where the shortline picks up freight for its customers who are all in the hidden sidings underneath.  Oh, maybe you don't need that last bit, I'm thinking of my small garage again!

Jason

Hi Jason

Yes, clean slate and a decent area in which to work, with large workshop alongside.  I might have to get a life-size cardboard cut-out photo of me to prop up at the dinner table, because it will be very tempting to spend all my time there.

You are not far off the mark with your vision of my layout; loco facility at the foot of a grade so there's locos being changed or added for the ascent, running light coming back down, and just a handful of industries served by spurs.  Staging will be a must, because I am treating this layout like a theater stage, with trains as the actors, waiting in the wings to play their part.  I have been gifted a MONSTER traversing table, 2400x600 with flash linear bearings and a ball-screw threaded rod to move it....magnificent piece of engineering, abandoned by a 7mm scale modeler's family after he passed away and they had to remove his possessions from the house he was renting.  I don't need to wonder why they left it behind; I estimate that it weighed 90-100kg in its original form, thanks to its frame made from heavy-wall 75x50mm rectangular hollow section steel!  I've ditched the outer frame and kept only the table with its bearings, to be fitted to a wooden frame on wheels or possibly winched up to the ceiling - when I have enough rolling stock to require staging.  Not only was it ridiculously heavy but the ball screw was fitted slightly out of parallel with the two guide rails so it bound up as the table approached one side....very hard to shift the mounting holes over just a couple of mm, much easier to build a new outer frame.  Regards, Paul.

Woodsworks posted:

Roo, et al

I love the concept of this thread, it is very timely for me.  To kick off my own small contribution, here's a pic of my first portable-layout section:

It is 400mm wide and approximately 1350mm on its longest side, 1180mm when measured along its centerline.  I have been messing around with this idea for a very long time, went through heart surgery and marriage break-up which threw some major spanners in the works but I am finally moving ahead once more.  In the beginning I made up a list of Givens & Druthers which helped me realise that I was more interested in railfanning than operation; big steam locos at the head of big trains is what I like best, followed by waterfront scenes and dense urban industrial, with operation coming a distant third - if I ever get to #2 then #3 will naturally follow anyway.  I needed large curves for those big trains but I lack space in which to build a permanent layout so a sectional portable layout is what I came up with.  The sections are all the same shape, and eight will make up an octagon able to fit a circle of track of radius 1500mm.  There is also space to fit easements where a curve meets straight track.

Scenery is to be foam blocks glued onto each section, protected on the sides with 3mm plywood fascias cut to match the contours of the foam.  A kit of hot knife and free-hand sculpting cutter arrived from Hot Wire Foam Factory a month ago (gosh they are such nice people to deal with!) and I built my own vertical hot wire cutter for dealing with the big 8'x4' sheets of foam I purchased from my local hardware store.  I'm thinking three layers of 50mm (2") foam under the track base to give me enough depth for 'vertical relief' below track level then a strip of 12mm ply for the track base and more foam above & cut around that.  I'm hoping to keep the finished weight of each section below 15kg (33lbs) - nasty back problems can totally ruin my day if I try lifting anything heavier than that.

Sorry, where are my manners - translation of metric to imperial: layout sections 16" wide x 53" on long side, 46.5" measured at centerline, track radius 59".

The layout section was built using a jig to ensure that every section is the same.  Each section is built upside down so that all the framing lies perfectly flush.  The blocks at the rear of the jig are removable wedges - once complete, the wedges are knocked out and the section pops out with no effort.  I am using 3mm plywood webs and gussets with 10mm square pine along top and bottom edges of all the webs, with the exception of the 12mm ply end-plates - I made these thicker so that I can match-drill pairs of sections and insert alignment dowels.  There are no nails or screws whatsoever, everything is glued.  A bare section weighs 2kg (4.4lbs) and is extremely strong & stiff.

I am currently waiting for the electrician to finish wiring up my shed, which includes a decent-sized workshop 8m x 3m, before I make the rest of them; should be about two weeks.

It would probably be sensible to start my own thread to show the finer details of construction, and post highlights here.  Next installment will be a track plan.  Until then, regards, Paul - Whangarei, New Zealand.

My guess is you didn't upload the images to the OGR Forum?

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.