Skip to main content

Any chance of 3rd Rail offering an option of having a 2 rail pilot & coupler on the lead unit for their 3 rail locomotives?  I have the D&H Alco Pa's on order and it would certainly be nice to have a 2 rail pilot instead of having to change the 3 rail one out.  I'm in the process of moving and have no workspace for awhile.

I have emailed them directly but wanted to perhaps stir some interest here too as it seems a good idea

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

c.sam posted:

Any chance of 3rd Rail offering an option of having a 2 rail pilot & coupler on the lead unit for their 3 rail locomotives?  I have the D&H Alco Pa's on order and it would certainly be nice to have a 2 rail pilot instead of having to change the 3 rail one out.  I'm in the process of moving and have no workspace for awhile.

I have emailed them directly but wanted to perhaps stir some interest here too as it seems a good idea

The 2-Rail scale size pilots are available from Sunset/3rd Rail. Simply remove the "stock" 3-Rail pilot, then remove the claw coupler, and then install the "optional upon request" scale pilot, and install the Kadee coupler and gear box assembly.

Hot Water posted:
The 2-Rail scale size pilots are available from Sunset/3rd Rail. 

Hmmm . . . are they really? I am supposedly "on order" for 2 rail scale pilots for my trio of E8s.  Certainly not available . . . . yet. Not sure they ever will be? I've sort of given up and installed a Kadee in the humongous gap on the lead unit.

CP1800 E8A Kadee

Was meant to be temporary as the claw was just not tolerable for me. But it may end up permanent.

Seems not so easy to get 2 rail pilots for Sunset 3 rail engines.

Some have already got them for their E8s? Hmmmm again. 

Attachments

Images (1)
  • CP1800 E8A Kadee
Last edited by Terry Danks
Terry Danks posted:
Hot Water posted:
The 2-Rail scale size pilots are available from Sunset/3rd Rail. 

Hmmm . . . are they really? I am supposedly "on order" for 2 rail scale pilots for my trio of E8s.  Certainly not available . . . . yet. Not sure they ever will be? I've sort of given up and installed a Kadee in the humongous gap on the lead unit. 

Was meant to be temporary as the claw was just not tolerable for me. But it may end up permanent.

Seems not so easy to get 2 rail pilots for Sunset 3 rail engines.

Some have already got them for their E8s? Hmmmm again. 

Have you sent an eMail directly to Scott? That generally works MUCH BETTER than whining here on the OGR Forum, in my opinion.

In my conversation with Scott, if the request for the 2rail pilot isn't made before production, then you will have to wait until they do a 2nd run to get the scale pilots. 

This happened to me on the E8s. I was late to the game, so I have my trains but my scale pilots won't be available until the factory does the 2nd run (hoping that it happens real soon here). Sounds like the original poster and I are in the same boat  

But I do agree, that it seems that more and more people are wanting to get these so it would sure be nice if there was a way to get them other than during the pre-order phase.  

I too am a relative newcomer to the 'scale' or 3 rail scale ordering process as these PA'a are my first 3 Rd Rail product. There is nothing that I have seen on their site about options for ordering extra parts, but it may be there as I am not very familiar with it overall. 

If unavailable, I'll probably add plastic or balsa to the opening and repaint the supplied pilot. If it wasn't for this Forum I would not have become aware of the (supposed) availability of the 2 rail pilots for separate order...

Thanks for the info fellas!

By the way, I have written to them asking if the 2 rail pilot could be substituted with my order.

I would think that most buyers of the 3 rail models would probably prefer the scale pilot on their lead units and that the lobster claw would be the exception!

Last edited by c.sam

Seems like a real waste to cast them off when a simple substitution during assembly would take care of it. Really now, with the attention to such accurate scale detail everywhere on these locomotives, how many buyers of this 'class' of product would ask for the huge coupler on the nose!

Would probably save Scott money in the long run if they didn't even offer the lobster claws. For continuity, both A units as well as the B's should have 'scale' couplers. It is an easy thing to have 'transition' cars (with different couplers on each end) to go in behind the locomotives and match up nicely with the rest of your rolling stock....

Last edited by c.sam
c.sam posted:

Seems like a real waste to cast them off when a simple substitution during assembly would take care of it.

And the builder will certainly charge for that "simple substitution"!

Really now, with the attention to such accurate scale detail everywhere on these locomotives, how many buyers of this 'class' of product would ask for the huge coupler on the nose!

Actually a LOT more 3-Rail purchasers are NOT into this 3RS mode of modeling, i.e with all Kadee couplers, that you realize.

Would probably save Scott money in the long run if they didn't even offer the lobster claws.

The he would NOT be able to sell ANY product to the 3-Rail/Hi-Rail/Toy Train crowd!

For continuity, both A units as well as the B's should have 'scale' couplers. It is an easy thing to have 'transition' cars (with different couplers on each end) to go in behind the locomotives and match up nicely with the rest of your rolling stock....

Apparently the vast majority of the 3-Rail/Toy Train world does NOT think that way.

Jack, you forgot to mehtion the logistical nightmare of having to run through orders to make sure that guy one gets one with a scale pilot on one loco and a 3 rail pilot on the other and then make sure he orders enough 3 rail with scale pilots and 3 rail with 3 rail pilots then communicate that to the factory and then keep them all straight through packaging and shipping. Its hard enough for him to get all the other things correct with the factory errors let alone introduce another level of complexity which will drive up the cost of the loco. The way he does it is just fine if you ask me. Just seems easier to make them all the same. I will adapt my behvior to fit the world and not try to adapt the world to fit my behavior.

My F7 order just showed up. On this order I was earlier and emailed my request to Scott for the 2R pilot with the smaller opening and sure enough. In each box I have a 2R pilot. 

So as others have mentioned. As long as you preorder and email Scott with the request, it appears to work well.  

Attachments

Images (2)
  • Pilot_comparison
  • Bag_o_parts

C. Sam

Regarding UP version. 

I had emails back and forth with Scott and Jonathan around July 7 regarding design details, paint, numbering and pilots.   I was pleased with what they were able to share with me at least regarding the union pacific model's paint, numbers. and design.   Jonathan seemed to indicate 1948 as delivered grey trucks, "Union Pacific" herald, and 604-607 numbering since they were "as delivered" but opened a larger modeling window (1948-1955).  I also humbly suggested a resource for research on the UP version if they didn't already have it as knowledgeable as they are.

Since I had already reserved a 3R AB set at that time I also requested the possibility of 2R pilot for the 3R A unit.   Scott indicated for the PAs he was trying to negotiate having 2R pilots included from the factory.    

Keep in mind this was several months ago.  But's that what I know.  Given the hub-bub on this thread I'll be emailing again to try and get clarification.  Scott's pretty tuned in so he may at some point chime in on this thread anyway.   I'm sure they're pretty busy right now sorting the container shipment and getting paid ordered items out to customers.  I just recently received a ship notice on 15 passenger cars I ordered.

** Update: 8pm CT:

Immediate response from Scott:

"..we plan on putting 2R Pilots in each 3 Rail box from now on."

I can't say enough about how great I think Sunset/3rd Rail/GGD's service is.

- Will

Last edited by WITZ 41

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.