Skip to main content

Hey gang....

I'm going to try to get some 2 rail SW9's made.  Believe me, Id rather do S-2's or S-4's, or SW1's......But SW9's i think is my best shot.

I cant talk about manufacturers, but the plan is horizontal drive and either full DCC/sound package or straight DC.  Probably one or the other.  Full DCC and sound is really cool, but straight DC might be easier to get done, and would cost less.  I know some ppl would rather put in their own fav DCC and sound boards....LMK.

So here the roads im considering.   IHB (1970's NYC black/white scheme) , PRR, SP tiger stripe (1 unit SP #, 1 unit T&NO #) , SF zebra stripe. , LV  earlier Cornell red/black with small lettering..the best/classic LV scheme).....EL 1963 black/ yellow, CB&Q black/gray/yellow/red "everywhere west", RI Maroon (block letters),  T&P (MoPac blue) , and black, unlettered.

Here's the point.....I need to be able to sell 30 of each paint scheme, at, lets say..$450 each.  So please dont tell me u want Appalachicola Northern, unless u think I can seriously sell 30 of them. Believe me, AN is a great paint scheme, so is IT.  But i need to do something that has a broad enough appeal to sell 30 units at 450 each.

If i could get 10 road names, 10 of each done, this would be a no brainer, but 30 pcs of each is the absolute min i could hope for.

Chime in.

beth

public delivery track

Last edited by Rich Melvin
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Switchers are one of those bread-and-butter things that are badly needed but in short supply.  I’d be interested in an SP tiger stripe switcher and possibly a Santa Fe zebra stripe machine.

I agree with you that a straight DC but  DCC ready system is probably the way to go. Some of us might not only thinking of DCC but also about battery-powered “dead-rail.” However, I’m just one guy and I don’t know how the rest of the crowd feels.

I think I’d be willing to put down  a larger deposit up front for the SW-9.  If this were an ideal world, I’d be reserving an ALCO-GE HH-660 or an S-2, but it’s the world we live in.  I’ll take what I can get.

Hey gang....

I'm going to try to get some 2 rail SW-9's made.  Believe me, Id rather do S-2's or S-4's, or SW-1's......But SW-9's i think is my best shot.

I cant talk about manufacturers, but the plan is horizontal drive and either full DCC/sound package or straight DC.  Probably one or the other.  Full DCC and sound is really cool, but straight DC might be easier to get done, and would cost less.  I know some ppl would rather put in their own fav DCC and sound boards....LMK.

So here the roads im considering.   IHB (1970's NYC black/white scheme) , PRR, SP tiger stripe (1 unit SP #, 1 unit T&NO #) , SF zebra stripe. , LV  earlier Cornell red/black with small lettering..the best/classic LV scheme).....EL 1963 black/ yellow, CB&Q black/gray/yellow/red "everywhere west", RI Maroon (block letters),  T&P (MoPac blue) , and black, unlettered.

Here's the point.....I need to be able to sell 30 of each paint scheme, at, lets say..$450 each.  So please dont tell me u want Appalachicola Northern, unless u think I can seriously sell 30 of them. Believe me, AN is a great paint scheme, so is IT.  But i need to do something that has a broad enough appeal to sell 30 units at 450 each.

If i could get 10 road names, 10 of each done, this would be a no brainer, but 30 pcs of each is the absolute min i could hope for.

Chime in.

beth

public delivery track

Why only 2rail ?  I’d be in for T&P if 3rail offered.

I don’t understand the three-rail market as well as I might, but I hope Beth concentrates her efforts on bringing out the two-rail switchers first.  Some of us have been waiting for a long time for two-rail switchers—at least five years. I know I’ve had switcher reservations since before Atlas started having problems with their suppliers and Weaver shut down and that my reservations were cancelled.

Three-railers  have been blessed with a lot of switchers in a lot of road names during the same time period. I can’t help but imagine the remaining Big Guys releasing SW-9s in their pet road names to dealers while Beth is waiting for her stuff to go into production.

@Mister_Lee posted:

I don’t understand the three-rail market as well as I might, but I hope Beth concentrates her efforts on bringing out the two-rail switchers first.  Some of us have been waiting for a long time for two-rail switchers—at least five years. I know I’ve had switcher reservations since before Atlas started having problems with their suppliers and Weaver shut down and that my reservations were cancelled.

Three-railers  have been blessed with a lot of switchers in a lot of road names during the same time period. I can’t help but imagine the remaining Big Guys releasing SW-9s in their pet road names to dealers while Beth is waiting for her stuff to go into production.

I sympathize with you 2railers about lack of product. For this very reason I chose to do 3rail - MANY More Choices !!!  Even still - I don’t have that many choices as I collect/run “Midwest” roads MP/TP, Frisco, MKT. These aren’t offered as much as I’d like to see. Atlas was Great but has been MIA for 10 years or so. 3rd Rail Sunset has been doing my roads lately so they get my business - though no switchers. If you are unaware, They do both 2 and 3 rail - BTO.

Black, unlettered .... I'll commit to one, but maybe two;   

--------     (preferably with the separately-applied details NOT installed, and in a separate bag, as                   Atlas does it)

I think Conrail had a large fleet of SW9s. Just saying.

A SW9 with horizontal drive is a great choice. Having said that, I am a bit leery of the unknown. I have been patiently waiting and hoping for Atlas to announce more SWs ... because smoothly creeping down the tract is critically important to me.

Thanks, Beth

Last edited by CNJ Jim

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.