Skip to main content

Just wanted to let u guys know that Im working with MTH on getting our special run  cars done in 2 rail as well as 3 rail.  Its noteasy.but we are working on it.  Rich at MTH is doing the best he can for me.

The cars on the books to be done, so far are...

Maine Central Steel drop bottom gondola (green, yellow letters, big MAINE CENTRAL)

C&EI steel drop bottom gondola  (tuscan, white letters big "CE&I"

NYO&W 2 bay hopper car, the last scheme, with the OW logo in the center of the car

I've picked these cars, so far, because they are later tooling , more detailed cars, than some of the earlier MTH freight cars.   The steel drop bottom gondolas are actually quite nice.  Some of the other really nice  MTH cars are not available for special runs right now, which is unfortunate. ..but Im doing the best with what's available.  The 40' AAR box cars with 6 foot doors are pretty nice,  but I'd have to sell them at $70 a car, and the Atlas AAR 40' box cars are only a few bucks more, and have more detail.   The advantage to the MTH ones is that the doors open.

The MTH 36' wood frig cars are really nice....Im working on some beer cars.   Since all the really existed in real life beer cars have been done, AFAIK, new ones involve new artwork, and licensing, if someone still owns the name...so its a long haul getting these done.

2 rail switchers is still something Im working on.

any comments are welcome..

beth

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The MTH 36' wood frig cars are really nice....Im working on some beer cars.   Since all the really existed in real life beer cars have been done, AFAIK, new ones involve new artwork, and licensing, if someone still owns the name...so its a long haul getting these done.

What about partnering with some modern day micro-breweries and doing retro 19th century style logos on those MTH beer cars? You got Anchor ans Sierra Nevada out there, plus about a hundred smaller ones.  Just a thought.

Last edited by rplst8

I'm curious as to how you are "working on" a 2R switcher with MTH when they never made a switcher with fixed pilots, full length handrails, and scale wheels? Especially with them closing down in a month or two.

Don't get me wrong, I'm interested. It's literally at the top of the list of what I always wanted MTH to make. When they brought out a newly tooled 44 tonner with swinging pilots and no Proto 3/2 I was shocked. Frankly that's when I knew for sure that they had given up.

I understand that things are in "flux", but I'm not sure what we're supposed to do? Hold our breath? Pray?  Is MTH going to continue do special runs? A little more information would be helpful.

As for the cars, I bought 6 of the 2R 64' passenger cars that you did and they were great. I'd certainly be interested in freight cars that came as 2R as well, but nothing you listed is a road name I'm interested in personally. Do some Erie, EL, B&O, Chessie, or PRR and I'm in.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.