Skip to main content

My Atlas 70T roller bearing trucks and Kadee 743s just came from JD'S Trains ( thanks Jeff ),  so I got right into it. I opted to just pull the Lionel trucks instead of cutting them up to install NWSL wheelsts- I'll sell them off later. Attaching the Atlas 2-rail 70T roller bearing trucks are a bolt-on deal, but adding the Kadee 743s are not.

I used a 5/64" drill bit to make the hole for the 2-56 screw to secure the Kadee box to the car body- thankfully Lionel provides a pilot hole in the correct position to drill the hole. You also have to add a small .040" styrene strip under the coupler to shim it to outer edge of the car body so the couplers will be level.

I didn't have a Kadee height gauge, but it coupled at the same height as an Atlas 2-rail 17k tank car, so I'm thinking the height is spot on. The short shank of the 743s appears took look good too-only operating the cars will tell if they prove too short for 36" radius curves. I plan on running 45" and 49.5" radius curves on my mainlines, so I should be fine.

Geno

Attachments

Images (3)
  • 20151104_204725
  • 20151104_204749
  • 20151104_204853
Last edited by 72blackbird
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Naveen,

I see great minds think alike- even if the information gets lost, inventive people figure out ways to make it happen. I know the O scale crowd isn't as excited about Gunderson Husky stacks as intermodal fans, but I never tire of seeing them- I've wanted to convert these Lionel Husky stacks for years, so it's a goal I realized last night and was very happy.

The Kadee 743's only use a single screw, vs. the 747 Kadees using 2 screws- I'm wondering if they will have the strength to handle a long train of diecast intermodal cars. I may switch to your choice down the road, but I have enough 743's to do 8 cars, so I might as well use them.

Your post on the 2-rail Lionel Husky Stack conversion was definitely impressive- I really liked the CAD drawings, and the wealth of intermodel modeling data was invaluable. Your diorama of an intermodal unloading area is also very realistic. A thank you to Calvin (calsz06) for creating the XPS file and allowing me to see the extent of your work.

Geno

Thank you, Mike.

The one additional thing I can add is the screws supplied with the Atlas 70T RB trucks won't work with the Lionel Husky stack. Fortunately, Lionel supplies longer screws with the shim kit they provide with each car. You'll have to file/sand the screw head down to make it fit in the shank of the truck, but once you do that it works nicely, and secures the 2-rail truck to the car body well.

Geno

Geno,

You're definitely right there.  I've typically cleaned out the bolter screw hole with a 4-40 tap and used 4-40 screws. 

Originally Posted by 72blackbird:

Thank you, Mike.

The one additional thing I can add is the screws supplied with the Atlas 70T RB trucks won't work with the Lionel Husky stack. Fortunately, Lionel supplies longer screws with the shim kit they provide with each car. You'll have to file/sand the screw head down to make it fit in the shank of the truck, but once you do that it works nicely, and secures the 2-rail truck to the car body well.

Geno

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.