Skip to main content

So this tale starts back in 2013, when I spotted a rare American Flyer streamline set on an auction.  The auction was not a train auction and featured only two trains, a 1940 American Flyer streamline set with a 435 engine, tender, and three yellow streamline cars with 6-wheel trucks (Set 4013 from 1940) and a 429 switcher, tender, and freight cars (Set 4014 from 1940.

For those who do not collect American Flyer, the yellow streamline cars with 6 inch trucks are difficult to find because they were only sold in 1940, as AC Gilbert was closing out of their Chicago era Flyer cars and going to production of 3/16 scale items.  Previously these yellow streamline cars had been used in the City of Denver streamline set, but featuring belly pans and 4-wheel trucks.  I had also heard a story about these odd yellow streamline cars with 6-wheel trucks, which was that they were a special set that was only sold through a Buffalo, NY retailer.  I think the source of that story may have been the late Dave Garrigues.

To me, the freight set on the auction was not very exciting and I was after the passenger set.  The auction photos showed a single car box with each set, but no other photos of boxes.  I was lucky enough to win the yellow streamline set on the 2013 auction and passed on the freight set.  I paid for the auction and received the set a few weeks later.

Much to my surprise, the set came with all of the individual boxes and a set box.  In doing my typical research on a set after getting it, I discovered (to my dismay) that I had received the set box for the 1940 freight set, Set #4014.  I pondered calling the auction house and asking if they had a set box for the other set and had packed the wrong set in the correct box for my set.  However, since they did not show the set boxes in any of the pictures and also only a single car box in the pictures, I wondered did the other set have a set box?  I wondered and wondered and never called (still kicking myself for not calling). 

For the last 10 years I have searched for the correct numbered 4013 set box for my passenger set.  In early February I found a 4013 set box on ebay with individual boxes for a red streamline set.  I purchased it, even though it was not as nice as the 4014 set box that was with my set.  Two weeks later, as I am scrolling through an auction house listing, I note a 429 freight set, with the 4013 set box...coincidence?  It was too much of a coincidence to ignore, so I searched on-line and found the 2013 auction listing and photos.  In comparing the photos of the freight set on the 2013 auction and the freight set on the 2023 auction, I noted that the view of the power pick up on the bottom of the engines matched.

I was able to match the A that is penciled on the bottom of the fiber plate and the staining that is between the two rivets on the copper plate that the power pick ups attach to.  So it was the same set as was sold in 2013.  Now I had to buy this set at any cost, as I knew that it was the actual set box that came with my set.  Sadly that "buy it at any cost" came with a steeper price than the 2013 auction, but it was worth it to me.

An interesting coincidence, these two sets appear to have always been together (except for the last 10 years).  Both boxes are stamped with the J.N. Adams Co. Stamping out of Buffalo, NY.  Remember that story I heard about these yellow streamline sets being a special sold out of the Buffalo, NY area?  I am not sure that these sets were only sold out of Buffalo, but mine certainly was.

My thoughts of Set 4013, is that it could have came with any color of the streamline cars because the 1940 catalog does not specify the car color.  The 1938 and 1939 AC Gilbert catalogs always specified the color of cars that were sold in the sets, but not in 1940.  As this was the only streamline Chicago era car set sold in 1940, my thought is that they were using up all of their leftover cars in this particular set, so it could have came with blue, red, chrome, or yellow.

Note how nicely the two boxes match. 

NWL

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

My thoughts of Set 4013, is that it could have came with any color of the streamline cars because the 1940 catalog does not specify the car color.  The 1938 and 1939 AC Gilbert catalogs always specified the color of cars that were sold in the sets, but not in 1940.  As this was the only streamline Chicago era car set sold in 1940, my thought is that they were using up all of their leftover cars in this particular set, so it could have came with blue, red, chrome, or yellow.

All of this is very entertaining to me, as I have been watching all these sets and boxes move around lately as you outlined.

As a fan of the Gilbert era Chicago Flyer style trains, I've spent a lot of time studying all these sets, specifically the 1940 passenger set.  I have an old time friend who will basically go to the grave arguing that the only color passenger cars available in 1940 were the yellow 6 wheel truck.  He doesn't have any reasoning or proof, other than "David Garrigues told him that years ago, but he cannot remember the justification of why".

It's not really worth the argument with him anymore, but to better myself and my knowledge, I've spent a stupid amount of time looking at everything I see related to these trains just to attempt to find some clarity.  After our most recent argument, where I sent him all the pictures of the eBay box with red car component boxes, I went back and re-read the catalog description AGAIN, for about the 50th time.  This time, something stuck out at me that I didn't notice in the past.  In the attachment below of the catalog page, you'll note that the cars are described as having "imitation glass windows with silver curtain trim".  To the best of my knowledge, only one color of passenger cars comes with the silver window curtains.....Red.

Screen Shot 2023-02-16 at 8.59.05 PM

So since I share your belief that you could have gotten various colors of cars in set 4013 (in an attempt to clean out the factory of old product), I have to ask if you've seen or know of any other cars with silver window curtains besides the red?

I tend to believe that many/most of the 1940 sets were leftover sets with red cars (as cataloged in '39), thus why it is the most commonly found version of cars paired with a 436L&T combo.  Arguably it could have spanned 2 years of availability.

Most of the light yellow 6 wheel truck cars I've observed are factory converted from 4 wheel truck assembled cars, and you can see evidence of the belly pan being removed (paint disturbed in the screw holes as well as paint wear around the outboard mounting hole for the old 4 wheel trucks that were removed (The 6 wheel trucks have an inboard mounting hole in the floor).  So were these yellow cars used in the 1940 set?  Sold in a department store set?  Both?  We may never know exactly, but the lack of color suffix in the catalog is very telling of Gilberts loophole to clean house.

Anyway,  Fun Stuff!  

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Screen Shot 2023-02-16 at 8.59.05 PM

Ives1122,

I have spent a lot of time examining these streamline sets as well.  I believe I have examples of all of the streamliner sets that were produced in Chicago and in New Haven.  The most unusual is a boxed set c. 1937 with a 1680 Hudson, tender, and 4 Hiawatha cars.  The set included a Hudson whistling billboard from 1937 and track, all of which fits into the set box.  Supposedly the set below was a special set for Gimbels.

I never paid attention to the description of the windows, but that could be an oversight by the people writing the catalog way back when.  As for the colors of the window trim in the other sets, no the red cars are the only ones with silver trim as far as I know.  The chrome cars have blue trim windows, the blue cars have orange trim windows, and the yellow cars have green trim.  The green cars, Hiawatha cars, and early UP yellow cars do not have window inserts.

Years ago, I recall selling a 435 engine tender with 3 chrome cars that was a boxed set for a friend.  The one problem with that set is that there was no readable set number on the box, so I have no idea of what year the box was from or what set the box originally came with. 

As for the 4013 box you saw on ebay with the boxes for the red cars, I purchased that box, prior to the freight set that I just bought for the 4013 box.  I am not sure it had the correct inner boxes in it, as it came with a tender box for a 1680 Hudson (numbered 162?), which would not have been a correct number for 1940.  I don't believe the engine box had a flap with a number.  There were 3 boxes for the red cars, but given the mismatch and poor condition of the set box, one never really knows if they were born together.

As for my 6-wheel yellow cars, there is evidence that the cars did have 4-wheel trucks and belly pans on them at one time. 

NWL

I never paid attention to the description of the windows, but that could be an oversight by the people writing the catalog way back when.  

Years ago, I recall selling a 435 engine tender with 3 chrome cars that was a boxed set for a friend.  The one problem with that set is that there was no readable set number on the box, so I have no idea of what year the box was from or what set the box originally came with.

As for the 4013 box you saw on ebay with the boxes for the red cars, I purchased that box, prior to the freight set that I just bought for the 4013 box.  I am not sure it had the correct inner boxes in it, as it came with a tender box for a 1680 Hudson (numbered 162?), which would not have been a correct number for 1940.  I don't believe the engine box had a flap with a number.  There were 3 boxes for the red cars, but given the mismatch and poor condition of the set box, one never really knows if they were born together.

NWL

-Interestingly enough, the curtains are not mentioned in the previous Gilbert catalogs until 1940, which is why it caught my attention.  It's just so odd that in the previous two years there were vivid car color descriptors, then in 1940 all there is to talk about is silver window curtains, but no mention of paint.

-That Hudsonwatha set is pretty wild.

-Do you have the supposed department store / uncatalogued set with the 432/433t and 3 chrome cars?  I've seen two of these and one supposedly has boxes that are "in storage".  Hopefully someday I'll get to see the set #.  Seems like there are a few versions of uncat or dept. store sets out there.

Glad to see you reunite the two JN ADAMS boxes with each other and their respective trains.

@Ives1122 posted:

-Do you have the supposed department store / uncatalogued set with the 432/433t and 3 chrome cars?  I've seen two of these and one supposedly has boxes that are "in storage".  Hopefully someday I'll get to see the set #.  Seems like there are a few versions of uncat or dept. store sets out there.

I have no knowledge of the uncataloged 432 and 3 chrome car set, other than I was asked by a friend to sell it for them at York many years ago.  The seller was more of someone who invested in trains, as opposed to one who was interested in the history of the trains.

The set box was dirty and worn and there was no readable number on it.  So like I indicated, I could not really be sure it was even a correct set for the box.

It is interesting that you mention seeing multiple of these sets.

One of the problems with buying 80 to 120 year old trains, is that without the history or boxes how does one know they are true sets and not something that someone put together over the years?

I know that my 1939 blue streamline set with 432 came to me with a 43224 of 1938.  A former owner had put a tag on the engine indicating that they had replaced the original 432 with the 43224 due to the engine going bad (I assume the boiler disintegrating) and being unable to find a correct 432 to go with the set.  It is interesting to see all of the sets that have been created by sellers over the years.  One of the best I have seen was a #19 switcher set of 1939, where the "boxed" set was in an early 1920s #19 set box, with the early set being a windup passenger set that included a tunnel, station, and train in an oversized box.  The buyer had purchased it at a reputable auction house and did not know the difference in the styles of boxes / box labels or that the #19 set number had been used on two different sets in the Flyer prewar era.  That is a perfect example of the need for knowledge/history on these items.

NWL

Last edited by Nation Wide Lines

I have no knowledge of the uncataloged 432 and 3 chrome car set, other than I was asked by a friend to sell it for them at York many years ago.  The seller was more of someone who invested in trains, as opposed to one who was interested in the history of the trains.

The set box was dirty and worn and there was no readable number on it.  So like I indicated, I could not really be sure it was even a correct set for the box.

It is interesting that you mention seeing multiple of these sets.

One of the problems with buying 80 to 120 year old trains, is that without the history or boxes how does one know they are true sets and not something that someone put together over the years.

Absolutely, and I feel like Flyer is hard enough, but the Gilbert streamliner sets tend to be relatively scarce with any sort of provenance.  The boxes don't seem to age well either.

Do you have any passenger car boxes for the 6 wheel truck yellow cars?  I would be curious what the box label stamps say.

The story of the 432 with 3 chrome cars goes something like this.  My friend who debates with me on the 1940 set color constantly bought his boxed.  He originally thought it was "the" 1940 set, until Garrigues told him otherwise at York one time.  Supposedly Garrigues knew about the the 432 w/ 3x chrome cars as well and it is supposedly another department store set (year unknown).  Unfortunately I have never laid eyes on the set box as my friend keeps his boxes in a storage locker away from his house.  Also unfortunately, Garrigues is dead, along with his knowledge.  The other set I've seen sold without boxes of course.

@Ives1122 posted:

Do you have any passenger car boxes for the 6 wheel truck yellow cars?  I would be curious what the box label stamps say.

I have all 3 individual boxes for the yellow cars with 6 wheel trucks.  I would have to look at them again, but they are stamped signifying they are Yellow cars with 6 wheel trucks. 

I will take a photo of the boxes and post, when I get a chance.

@Ives1122 posted:

All of this is very entertaining to me, as I have been watching all these sets and boxes move around lately as you outlined.

As a fan of the Gilbert era Chicago Flyer style trains, I've spent a lot of time studying all these sets, specifically the 1940 passenger set.  I have an old time friend who will basically go to the grave arguing that the only color passenger cars available in 1940 were the yellow 6 wheel truck.  He doesn't have any reasoning or proof, other than "David Garrigues told him that years ago, but he cannot remember the justification of why".

It's not really worth the argument with him anymore, but to better myself and my knowledge, I've spent a stupid amount of time looking at everything I see related to these trains just to attempt to find some clarity.  After our most recent argument, where I sent him all the pictures of the eBay box with red car component boxes, I went back and re-read the catalog description AGAIN, for about the 50th time.  This time, something stuck out at me that I didn't notice in the past.  In the attachment below of the catalog page, you'll note that the cars are described as having "imitation glass windows with silver curtain trim".  To the best of my knowledge, only one color of passenger cars comes with the silver window curtains.....Red

Anyway,  Fun Stuff!  

I feel like I've heard this argument a few times in the last year or two..... You argue like an old married couple! I do appreciate the history you guys are sharing about these sets.

Last edited by Jon Edwards
@Ives1122 posted:

@Nation Wide Lines

Does the 435 that came with your yellow cars have the reverse lock out lever sticking out below the cab, through the firebox side?

Not all of the 435’s have this lever.

Im trying to understand if it was an early or later feature.

The locomotive boiler has the slot in the side for the lockout lever, but the motor does not have the lockout lever.  I know that some boiler castings do not have the slot for the lockout lever, but cannot tell you when the lever was specifically used on the 435. 

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.