Skip to main content

I have run this engine off and on over the past couple of years and all has worked fine.  A couple of weeks ago the engine was running around 25 when it hesitated a couple then wouldn't run.  Shut it down and just now getting back to it to troubleshoot. Note all other engines continue to operate correctly through this track area, so don't believe it is a track issue.

I started up and ran engine for about 5 minutes and all worked properly (speed, lights, couplers, PFA, etc.) until I turned on smoke. The engine hesitated and tried to draw 7 or so amps.  I turned off smoke which eliminated the high current draw for a short time.  Shut it down and restarted engine with no smoke where it ran for less than 30 seconds when the current draw would surge up and down and engine would not run smoothly.  I opened it up thinking maybe excess smoke fluid but there was none. I verified all switch settings and found no pinched wires.

Wondering if there is anything else I can check or if it needs to go to an MTH tech?

This is a PS3 engine

Ken

Last edited by Kenjr
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

See if the gears are jamming. I had an MTH engine that the idler gear ovaled itself out and would run for a few minutes and ultimately jam itself up. So it would run one truck and not the other. That will run up the amps as the motor driver tries to compensate for the lack of speed, especially if its the tach reader truck that jams. Let it run with the shell off and watch the flywheels. If it keeps on running, then try turning on the smoke unit. If the smoke unit is whats nuking it, then, honestly, Id just clip the wires to the smoke unit and not bother with it, but if you must, explore the resistor circuit as the probable culprit.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.