Skip to main content

Hello all,

Like an idiot I wasn't paying attention and I ran my subject engine off the table but luckily on a carpet. There was no cosmetic damage or electrical damage. But one motor is harder to turn and hesitates very much on a track. Please advise what you think might have cause the motor to be tight and hesitate now when running. I did remove the motor from the truck assembly and the loose motor is still tight. Is there anything I can do or is there any one that might have an extra can motor for my engine. Might this be a generic motor?

As usual much thanks for your help, Jerry

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hi Bob,

I did look to see if the frame was bent and I will look again however I disassembled the motor from the truck assembly and it was still hard to turn relative to the other motor. Could I have damaged a bushing or something and do you have any idea how I could get it fixed? I hope I don't have to buy a motor assembly but if I do do you have any idea where I can get one?

Again much thanks Jerry

Have you called MTH and asked about the price to order?  I have a MTH steam locomotive that I got used with issues.  You can tell from looking at it that it was clearly dropped.  Everything is fine except the motor.  The shaft is bent somehow so it still turns freely, but the counter weight is now off center and it vibrates just a phone, so it doesn't run so well.  With the right angle of force with that flywheel on the small motor shaft in these locomotives it is possible to damage the motor and nothing else.  IMHO your best bet is to call MTH, give them the catalog number of your locomotive and pay for a new motor to be shipped to you.

The truck seems fine and loose. I banged on the top of the motor and it seems to be running much looser now. Still not perfect but will run at 2 or 3 miles an hour? Maybe the rubbing wore itself out I don't know. I did spray a little oil on the top of the motor by the shaft and maybe that helped. Anyhow, much thanks for all your notes.

Jerry

Add Reply

This forum is sponsored by MTH Electric Trains

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.