Skip to main content

I purchased a pristine MTH Triplex recently.  Owner hadn't run it for years and strongly suggested I replace the battery before powering it up. Good advice. I would like to replace the batteries with a BCR.  Then I opened it up and found this: 2 AA Ni-Cd 1.2v batteries. (So I assume it's a 3v system...) (Manual calls for a 1.5v rechargeable NiCad battery...???)

IMG_7167IMG_7168

They look to be original.   Is there a BCR or equivalent I can use as a substitute for these two batteries?  I know J & W produces a 3v BCR-2 but not sure if or how I could use it.

bcr2-ver-3-trans

Is there something else available or are my only options to cut the wires to the battery case and install a plug compatible with the J & W BCR-2, if that's OK or, just replace the two Ni-Cd's with two new rechargeable 1.2v 700mAh batteries?

Thanks.

Attachments

Images (3)
  • IMG_7167
  • IMG_7168
  • bcr2-ver-3-trans
Last edited by ToledoEd
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

@harmonyards posted:

Ed, ….hard to tell in your pics, but at first glance, it looks like your speaker is flaking apart buddy!!…..stop & investigate, take a close up pic if unsure, and post it up for a double check,…..a flaking speaker can destroy the audio portion of your board set,…..best be safe, then sorry!!

Pat  

You are right Pat, that is a red flag!  Before you run that, I'd for SURE replace the speaker!

@harmonyards posted:

Ed, ….hard to tell in your pics, but at first glance, it looks like your speaker is flaking apart buddy!!…..stop & investigate, take a close up pic if unsure, and post it up for a double check,…..a flaking speaker can destroy the audio portion of your board set,…..best be safe, then sorry!!

Pat  

Thanks Pat!   Here's a pick...

Triplex Speaker

I noticed Peeling?"  It looks like what you described along the edges.  Is that what you meant?  Thanks again for spotting this.

Ed

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Triplex Speaker

Thanks for the info. I just ordered a speaker from DigiKey.  I'll pick up some batteries. i can't wait to see this beauty running....smoke from the tender, what a hoot!

Ed, I would install new 3V batteries first and make sure all is working first.  Also maybe replace the speaker as well........... If all works, I'd contact J&W, he may have a device to install the BCR... in this type of engine'...

Ted, that's now the plan. 

Add Reply

This forum is sponsored by MTH Electric Trains

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.