Skip to main content

Reading on the MTH Web Site this locomotive has a Steaming Quillable Whistle but no instructions on how to fill it with smoke fluid. I downloaded the entire manual and there is noting in it about the whistle. It did come with a very small long funnel and the white does have a hole in it for the smoke to come out but how do you get the fluid into it?

09/27/22: Just unpacked and installed my two PRR Heavy Pacific's 20-3818-1 & 20-3819-1 and like the SRR 20-3820-1 I can not get the whistle smoke to function. I depress the two soft keys SPW & FSW both will high light and the word Whistle comes up in the display but no whistle smoke the 3820-1 will give me a quill able whistle but not able to get the 3818-1 or 3819-1 to work.All three of my remotes do the same thing so I know it has to be something that I am doing wrong. HELP AGAIN!!!

Last edited by RJT
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

In fact, pretty sure I can see even in this photo that back steam dome nearer the cab looks removeable in this photo Zoom in on it.

Copied from that other whistle steam topic

IMG_3268

Again, the lesson of the day is:

#1 All MTH that I am aware of ever made to this date that had steaming whistle, have some form of completely separate smoke unit not connected to the main smoke unit and thus MUST be separately filled for steaming whistle function. In other words, not like a Lionel with single stack fill.

#2 the fill location will vary engine by engine, and sometimes it's a removeable dome or other feature, or you are forced to fill through the smoke port (example J-class).

Again, MTH does not make in O scale "dual" smoke units that share a common smoke well and wick. HO, yes, maybe, but not O scale.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • mceclip0
Last edited by Vernon Barry

Found the removable Steam Dome primed the whistle smoke unit but can't seemed to get it turned on. No information in the downloaded MTH Manual looked at my Big Boy Manual and tried the softly feature of selecting the "SPW" key and then the "FSW" key but that does not seem to work. It is like there is one step missing. With both keys highlighted the whistle will not work and depressing the keys a second time removes the highlighting but still no whistle smoke. I am confused!!!! HELP!!!

@RJT posted:

Found the removable Steam Dome primed the whistle smoke unit but can't seemed to get it turned on. No information in the downloaded MTH Manual looked at my Big Boy Manual and tried the softly feature of selecting the "SPW" key and then the "FSW" key but that does not seem to work. It is like there is one step missing. With both keys highlighted the whistle will not work and depressing the keys a second time removes the highlighting but still no whistle smoke. I am confused!!!! HELP!!!

The Steaming whistle is a small smoke unit with single resistor. Thus be careful to not overfill it compared to the normal main stack unit.

That unit also does not have a large fan impeller and so because steaming whistle has a small tube path for the smoke it exit, often may get a smoke fluid drop blocking the path that the fan is not strong enough to just blow past and out.

As such, it's recommended to check for function by holding the fill cover off since smoke can then flow out of the larger hole. Test and get it to smoke this way first, then attempt to clear the blockage in the smaller exit hole path for the whistle

Also, you may need to toggle the FSW (steaming whistle on and off a few times) to ensure it actually turns on. I know that is crazy and annoying, but that was my personal experience with the 2 heavy pacifics I also own.

Attachments

Images (2)
  • mceclip0
  • mceclip1
@RJT posted:

With the SPW button pressed and rolling the thumb wheel up, is there any sound?

Add Reply

This forum is sponsored by MTH Electric Trains

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.