Skip to main content

In the process of building a complete toy-like "tin" layout, inspired by old 1920's/30's NYC/Chicago "EL" trains. 

The layout will consist of old tin toy parts from that era as well like Gilbert Erector girders, Bilt E-Z construction tin pieces and Bing 0-gauge tracks. I'll later include old Tootsietoy sedans, coupes and Mack trucks for scenery too.

I don't have much room where I live, which explains the small scale of the layout. But that's just how I like it, small and toy-like.

Please take a look at my Flickr site bellow for all my photos in progress (*aswell as other toys from my collection) Thanks for looking! 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ariville/

IMAG2047-1

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Gauge0-City_EL
Last edited by Elgaucho
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I just spent an enjoyable hour roaming your flickr site, you have a marvelous toy collection. I also collect architectural building toys and own several Bilt-E-Z sets. However, I was surprised that you didn't have an Anker Stone set in your collection. In case you don't know of them, here's a picture of couple sets.

Victorian Anchor Blocks

I look forward to updates on the 'El layout.

Thanks everyone!! 

To be honest, I don't own ALL the toys on my Flickr site. Some are simply reference photos from catalogs or the internets. I look to really old toys for inspiration and catalog images helps me in that. I love the whimsicalness of old tin/wood toys. 

Jon, I DO own one Anchor Set (*#4) and have several original manuals with cut-out figures and scenery pages. I love how these simple sets (along w/Erector and Bilt EZ) could spark a kids imagination to "build" something. They also have significant historical significance with the times.

*To the "realists & purists" out there though… I know this sort of "shape" of a layout isn't correct with regards to old Chicago/NYC transit plans. But with the little space I have and preferring more cute and toy-like esthetics, I'm happy with a simple figure-8  

Thanks everyone again for checking out my photos.

Originally Posted by Elgaucho: 

Jon, I DO own one Anchor Set (*#4) and have several original manuals with cut-out figures and scenery pages. I love how these simple sets (along w/Erector and Bilt EZ) could spark a kids imagination to "build" something. They also have significant historical significance with the times.

I haven't met a building toy that I didn't like. Anchor, or more correctly, Anker, with it's patent date of 1885, outdates most mass produced toys and continues to be manufactured today. It's zenith was pre WWl. The promotion and merchandising of Anker was revolutionary and ground breaking for it's time, much commonplace today. Over it's nearly 130-year history, 450-plus different sets have been produced employing over 1500 unique stone shapes. Larger sets enabled it's owner to build large and complex constructions, either with provided plans or structures of their own design.

Many sets included metal parts. In the interest of keeping this train orientated, here's an example that employs stone set #34 (I believe) and the all metal "Bridge Set of 1895." The metal, in this case, is a modern limited production set of it's antique counterpoint, the stones are antique.

Originally Posted by leavingtracks:

Jon...I didn't know that you collected architectural building sets...I do too!!  I have a nice collection of the old Bilt-E-Z sets and thought that some day I would use them to build a large skyscraper for my layout....something kind of different. 

Alan

Alan, why aren't I surprised that we share similar inflictions. I have only 3 mint Bilt-E-Z set in my collection that I found at a Holiday show in Wheaton, Ill., some 25-years ago. Among other things. I also have many Lincoln-Log sets a various manufacture, American-Bricks, and LEGOs in countless quantities, including all of the Architecture sets, and of course, LEGO trains. 

At several thousand pounds, the Anker stones are by far my biggest problem. I blame the problem entirely on my mother who gave me an antique set #5 for Christmas some 40-years ago. That event lead to lifelong love affair with Anker and a collection of well over 200 antique and modern sets, many quite rare. I lovingly curse her whenever I need to move them.

A category that is sorely missing from my collection are Girder & Panel sets. Outside of the box-less stash from my childhood, it's unrepresented. I marvel at the buildings that you have created with Girder & Panel for you layout, the kind a mere child could only dream of.

101_2620

Photo: Alan Arnold

Last edited by Mill City
Originally Posted by Southern Cresent:

The skyscrapers are absolutely great. What an assortment of building kits . Any Anker kits represented in the large layout picture Mill City? 

Thanks, but the credit for the skyscrapers belongs to OGRR's own Alan Arnold. As evident, his layout is spectacular. My intent by including his photo was to illustrate how well Girder & Panel works with O gauge trains. I apologize for the confusion.

Anker constructions are typically not glued with the intent of reuse. They're basically Jinga, probably not ideal for a layout. Collapses occur even with the most sage of builders, it's just part of the fun.

Brief Update!
I installed a running oval track around my city layout. Running a couple of Hafner Loco's w/Bub & AF coach cars.

Added a couple of my favourite tinplate windups from the 20's to add scenery (*Marx Whee- Whiz Auto Race and Strauss Knockout Boxers)

I love the sounds tinplate windups give! Such a hard, hitting the rails kinda grittiness. I got 4 new videos on my Youtube. Please enjoy. 

Photo and Video Links:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/...le/with/15576519687/

https://www.youtube.com/user/whataboutoddd/videos

IMAG2388-1

Really strong Hafner Locomotive.... with Bub coach cars.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Elevated City Layout
Videos (1)
VIDEO0019
Last edited by Elgaucho

Incredible stuff on your link, kept me busy for hours chasing memories and ideas.

Ever see "Brewsters Millions"? Im confident you could create the room Id want to die in. Your style, and photography is captivating. 

Thanks to you my eyes will be peeled for tin sqares at swapmeets & fleamarkets.

I would clear room for Bilt EZ panel buildings anytime!  

Wonderful bridges Chris! Do you construct them? Unfortunately I don't construct my own scenery but I use old tin toys from my collection to help decorate a scene.  

Brian, that article was amazing! Old Popular Science magazines are a WELL of information and "inspiration" for future layouts and general "toy construction" as well. One of my loves with old antique toys are the "construction" toys themselves. They get my mind racing with ideas with what to build with them!(haha)

Another construction toy I love are the old Mysto Erector sets. I've yet to use one of the motors that came with them but once I figure how to USE one.... I'll make some nice movable toys.

Adriatic.... thanks for the kind words! Now I gotta see Brewsters Millions!! (haha) Those little Bilt EZ squares are addictive also... Watch out!!! I draw ideas for new buildings with those things almost every day!!!

And thanks to everyone for all your kind words. I really appreciate it. I'm really happy you've all enjoyed my photos. I don't just collect trains but any interesting antique "plaything".

I'll try and keep interesting photos coming!!   

Last edited by Elgaucho

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.