Skip to main content

I picked up a set of circa 2001 -2002 Santa Fe scale engines. Currently, fixing the lurch and speed control issue. Using the err..motor driver board. Opened her up magnet was loose on flywheel...glad that didn't crack.

Anyway, these units had overly bright cab and number board lighting. Both using grain of wheat bulbs. I really don't want to wire the bulbs in series. Anyone, know of a good led Imcould replace the number board and cab lighting....resistor value...

will the old receiver board drive the led's?

shawn

Last edited by shawn
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hi Shawn,

This is an easy fix if your Santa Fe is wired the same as my NYC version of the same loco from 2002. There is an overly bright grain-of-wheat bulb fastened to the roof of the cab. The bulb is attached to a long wire. So, detach the bulb from the roof and tuck it behind the shield that surrounds the motor so that the bulb is no longer visible.

Allan

northeast posted:

Hi Shawn,

This is an easy fix if your Santa Fe is wired the same as my NYC version of the same loco from 2002. There is an overly bright grain-of-wheat bulb fastened to the roof of the cab. The bulb is attached to a long wire. So, detach the bulb from the roof and tuck it behind the shield that surrounds the motor so that the bulb is no longer visible.

Allan

Thanks for the help. Apparently lionel changed the design of the lighting in the cab. (Plastic assembly that sit on top of the cab insert. They changed the type of bulb (size) They also seem to be surrounded by small heat heat shields. I ordered 2 of these a wired in parallel as originally wired. Much dimmer lighting. Then put the number board light in series...Worked out great.

A question: Do your fan motors pulsate in conventional operation in neutral?

Hi Shawn,

I am running these locos with Legacy Lite at ~ 18 V and the powered A is a good smoker with no fan pulsating. I have never run it in conventional. If you are running in conventional, the fan will still require ~ 18 V, so crank up the throttle to the max while in neutral and see if this stops the pulsating.

Regards,

Allan

Chuck Sartor posted:

Yes, it will start and stop in neutral. Yours is working correctly.

Thanks - chuck. I didn't see your reply to right now! The new plastic lighting insert is much better then the older one. It sits on top of the cab wall insert. Instead of even with it. It seems as if the motor flywheel would hit the older version..

shawn posted:
northeast posted:

Hi Shawn,

Allan

Thanks for the help. Apparently lionel changed the design of the lighting in the cab. (Plastic assembly that sit on top of the cab insert. They changed the type of bulb (size) They also seem to be surrounded by small heat heat shields. I ordered 2 of these a wired in parallel as originally wired. Much dimmer lighting. Then put the number board light in series...Worked out great.

A question: Do your fan motors pulsate in conventional operation in neutral?

Shawn - My brother has the same SF set.  What did you order as a replacement? He's doesn't run his as he's seen photos of the lights melting the number boards. (I would have emailed you, but it's not in your profile)

Last edited by Jeff T

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.