Skip to main content

Take a look back at where your railroad and collection were a year ago and what has changed during the course of the year?

I did add to my collection picking up 5 new engines including the long awaited MTH Eire 0-8-8-0 camelback, a Lionel Docksider and three premier MTH diesels, along with a bunch of rolling stock. I was also able to sell off some items to make room and finance the new acquisitions. The home layout was advanced with some Arttista figures which still need to be permanently mounted and some minor scenic details. On the club front (TMB Model Railroad club) most of my spare time was dedicated to dismantling the old layout and the new build in our new location . I hope some of you have been following along with the development thread I have going in the track plan and layout section of the OGR Forum.

How was 2013 for you

Happy New Year

Steve

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Because Lionel didn't ship much Pennsylvania stuff I didn't add too much to my layout/collection.  I did incorporate the ZW-L though.

What I did add I got from the secondary market: the Lionel Oil Field; Rte 66 Dino; Plasticville Orange Roof Hangar; Colber Wig Wag (a gift); and some other hard to find items.

I did many repairs/services for two local shops, one a full fledged train store and the other is a Saturday only vendor with many booths in an antique mall.  I believe the repairs kept me in the black for the entire year.

What I really enjoyed was watching the Grandkids operate the trains and accessories on the layout all year.  The youngest, a beautiful Granddaughter, just turned one in Dec, now heads for the train room with her Brothers.

Last edited by Johnsgg1

I only bought 2 o-scale items this year, both being pre-built woodland scenic buildings. 

Standard Gauge tinplate is another story!  I purchased more than I thought I would.  But that will come to an end soon as I have almost all that I want.

I finally put together a workbench and started using it.  I have several building kits I would like to find the time for to put together.

On a personal note, I can't wait to see 2013 go.  I lost my hiking buddy of 16 years.  We've walked 1000's of miles together and I never found her limit.  Not a day goes by that I don't think of her:

iphone 2012-02-20 052

Attachments

Images (1)
  • iphone 2012-02-20 052

My sympathies.  Animal companions are family, and these losses are very painful indeed.  May 2014 bring you healing and peace.

I find myself buying mostly LCCA and other club specials these days.  Maybe, some day, I'll incorporate all that I've bought in a permanent layout again, but then again, maybe not .  The journey is the destination, apparently, for me.

On second thought, I bought some Miller neon signs (Lionel, Gilbert) that went on or around the Christmas tree this year. 

Last edited by Landsteiner

We had to move at the end of 2012 and lost our nice 24' x 16' layout in the process. Since moving into smaller quarters I've had to reluctantly reconsider my goals and aspirations.

Due to space constraints, I'm selling off some of our rolling stock (traditional sized) and many of the nice structures and bridges I was able to incorporate on the club layout.

Have also traded some of our motive power for others as they came available.

Still hope to be able to build another personal layout someday...

I should have done a 2013 Year in Review editorial for the magazine from an industry perspective (this topic just gave me the idea, albeit a bit too late).  I will, however, do one for the January 2015 edition and have already added the topic to my Preliminary Table of Contents.

It will be interesting to follow significant developments in our hobby over the course of the new year, and this forum will be a big help in doing so.  Compilation starts just two days from now.  

Last edited by Allan Miller

I added 4 engines to my collection in 2013.  In the last few years, I usually only buy 1 engine per year if that…so 2013 was unusual for me.   However, because of dealer blow-out sales and finding engines I have been looking for awhile, I ended up buying more than expected.  I was happy to finally get the long over due Lionel Milwaukee Road aluminum passenger cars to match my S-3.  I also bought several pieces of rolling stock and Lionel Southern Crescent Passenger Cars to match my Southern Crescent 4-6-2 that I got through a dealer blowout sale.  However, in 2014 I am not planning on buying as much as I did this past year.  I have 1 engine on pre-order from this past spring, but once I get that engine that will be it for awhile.  Happy New Year!! Ken

2013 was a great year on my Long Island and Scranton Branch Line Railroad.

I've changed must of my collection to scale sized and out with the 027. I added one engine this year a Norfolk Southern sd45-2 and a lot of scale rolling stock.

My layout was the addition of rock faces hills and roads in 2013. It was a good year. Check out the progress on my you tube channel. Happy New Year. 

http://www.youtube.com/channel...HzOHMCrXwEwggLpuDm0g

Well, the big thing was my beloved Grandfather turning 90 this year. His back has seen better days, but I love him more than I did when I was a baby.

Christmas 2013 006

Train-wise, nothing that spectacular came out exactly this year aside from the LionChief and Legacy iPad App systems from Lionel. I did like most of what I purchased, such as the Lionel Legacy Southern Crescent set, Classics Rail Chief set, MTH Premier Blue Comet, and TMCC starter pack.

Those things aside, this year was kind of drag compared to last year.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Christmas 2013 006
OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.