Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

My guess is that it will be featured in the 2014 Signature catalog due out in February. I think that a product number for it has also been designated. I would be shocked if this engine is not produced as there is a good deal of interest for it.

Just be a little patient, I am sure you will see it.

Originally Posted by glacierrunner:

Has anyone heard anything about the Black 2014 PE scale berk? When or if it is going to be produced? Price? Thanks, Don

Guys at the local store say it is a go, they are hoping for snow covered roofs, correctly placed lettering, and with the rounded off observation car deck and roof.

Last edited by Lima
Originally Posted by Passenger Train Collector:

... I think that a product number for it has also been designated. I would be shocked if this engine is not produced as there is a good deal of interest for it. ...

6-11450 is the gold version.
6-11451 is the black version.

Charlie Ro is taking preliminary pre-orders.  Similar arrangements as the VL Big Boy.  No established pricing yet.

David
I am somewhat interested in the upcoming PE 1225 because of the toy train/movie cow catcher.  Folks that are just Polar Express fans will appreciate it.  I am a Polar Ex fan and a Pere Marquette fan and do have the original Legacy loco with PM and PE tenders.  Still, the new one has my attention.  It would be interesting if Lionel does offer scale heavyweights with snow covered roofs, as Lima mentions.  I've already applied a snow effect to mine and rounded my observation car, but it would still be nice to see these cataloged.

I seriously doubt that the new scale PE coaches will be snow covered or the Observation car will be retooled to represent the rounded roof effect. My guess is this is wishful thinking. Most PE fans will be delighted just to have the ability to buy the passenger cars that are in short supply.

Our clever friend Keith took the initiative to modify the factory scale PE Observation car to produce a rounded roof, but I think there is little chance it will be replicated with the new release from Lionel. Here is a sample of Keith's work,

pe observation

Attachments

Images (1)
  • pe observation
Last edited by Former Member

I placed my order for one of each with my dealer with the rest of my order for my Christmas items after the Christmas catalog came out last year.

At the the last York meet I was talking to Mike at Lionel's booth and I asked about the PE and he got me with the person to who handles marketing. And I asked the question if they were going to bring out another regular scale observation to go with the new black scale PE engine. I was told that they are bringing out just the gold observation.

This disappointed me since I had ordered the black PE engine to give to my other daughter and I only need a observation to give her a set.

I think that there are people who are confusing the American Flyer PE which is showing the snow on the roofs with the O scale cars.

I'm sure we will learn more in about a month with Lionel's 2014 catalog.

Originally Posted by Passenger Train Collector:

Paul:

There is a solution to buy a gold edition Observation car and repaint it.

I ordered one of those and a few of coaches to go with the gold engine. I guess I could just give 1 of them a few extra cars to make up for not having a observation.

Brian,

Thank you, my friend, for the kind words and for posting the photo.

Originally Posted by RickO:
Originally Posted by Michigan & Ohio Valley Lines:
I am somewhat interested in the upcoming PE 1225 because of the toy train/movie cow catcher.  Folks that are just Polar Express fans will appreciate it.  

Can't wait for the " PE oversized pilot shorts out on center rail" threads

Don't you know it

Keith,

Your art is incredible.  You really need to examine producing some sort of kit to do the observation car update.  Many of us, including me, are not skilled enough to produce that upgrade from scratch.  But I'd bet many folks would be interested in a kit to do the upgrade.  It would be perfect timing for the 2014 anniversary and increased interest.

I wish I could afford the new PE Berk but afraid I'll have to live with my original PM 1225.  

Ron

Originally Posted by RickO:
Originally Posted by Michigan & Ohio Valley Lines:
I am somewhat interested in the upcoming PE 1225 because of the toy train/movie cow catcher.  Folks that are just Polar Express fans will appreciate it.  

Can't wait for the " PE oversized pilot shorts out on center rail" threads

Yes!! All the fun of folks with grades and pilots sparking posts

Originally Posted by Paul Kallus:

You guys are complaining about a pilot shorting out when the engine hasn't even been released yet. This model isn't being made in someone's garage, give Lionel some credit. This is not even an issue with the semi-scale PE berk which has the correct PE pilot.

Paul, I'm sure it will be great. My comment was not directed towards Lionels design of the model..........but rather..... well... I've been a forum member long enough to know what the outcome "might" be

You guys are complaining about a pilot shorting out when the engine hasn't even been released yet. This model isn't being made in someone's garage, give Lionel some credit. This is not even an issue with the semi-scale PE berk which has the correct PE pilot.

Was at two layouts last year where steam engine pilots shorted at the start (up) or end (down) of a hidden sharp home made grade. They said it had been happening since built but couldn't see the cause of it, they thought it was the engine itself. (The locos were not made in someone's garage but the track risers were!:-)

Last edited by Lima
Originally Posted by Lima:

Was at two layouts last year where steam engine pilots shorted at the start (up) or end (down) of a hidden sharp home made grade. They said it had been happening since built but couldn't see the cause of it, they thought it was the engine itself. (The locos were not made in someone's garage but the track risers were!:-)

Can't understand, Lima, why anyone would blame a manufacturer's product for failing in any situation where the user subjects it to unreasonable use and/or demands clearly beyond the realm of normal use for which that product was designed (i.e.,"a sharp homemade grade".) To me, common sense should prevail when building a layout and running trains.

Last edited by ogaugeguy
OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.