Skip to main content

It's that time of year again, I've been planning for my annual holiday layout at the historic Redford Theatre in Detroit.

Over the past couple days, I've been working on a custom River Leaf Model's kit of the theater.  I sent Andre a couple photos and within a week, had the kit in my hands ready for construction.  While it's not an exact model of the theater, he got the feeling of the facade, which is what I was looking for.  Obviously a full sized model of the theater would take up an enormous amount of real estate, and would dwarf the ceramic village buildings I use on the layout, so he scaled it back a bit for me.

My kit building experience is limited to some plasticville buildings, so this was a new one for me.  Luckily Andre made a very easy to assemble kit, even with no directions (due to his having never built the kit himself since it's a one of a kind).  He included some computer drawings of the building to assist.  I still have a ways to go before I'll call it finished, but it's getting pretty close.

Last edited by SantaFe158
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Originally Posted by AG - River Leaf Models:

WOW,

I talk with you few days ago and voila the theater is done, you are good! 

Nice job, the white panels are acrylic so if you light them from inside will work as the real one.

Thank you!

Andre. 

Lighting is phase 2 of this project.  I'll have to experiment a bit and see what looks good.

Thanks again for making the kit!

When I was a kid, I used to ride my bicycle to the "Redford Theater".

Now I go for the old movies and the Live Pipe Organ Performances before each movie.

Gary

• Cheers from The Detroit and Mackinac Railway

Below is a LP, from the Redford, that I still enjoy to play.

• Click photo to enlarge.

Sounds of Pipes Redford Cover LP

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Sounds of Pipes Redford Cover LP
Originally Posted by towdog:

Many of us eagerly follow news and pictures about this layout every year and this is going to be a huge hit on the layout for sure.  Cannot wait to see it light up and on the layout.  Bring on the holiday season!

Thanks!  This year is especially interesting due to my hectic schedule.  I'm attending school 4 days a week currently and working on 1:1 scale trains the other 3 days, so my free time is very limited.  Squeezing in work sessions is going to be a challenge, but it'll get done.

Originally Posted by BobbyD:

Very nice work Andre and Jake, and looking forward to the layout images.

On a side note, got to hear The Shoop Shoop Song (aka as It's In His Kiss) performed on the pipe organ at a local theatre a few years back prior to a Herman's  Hermits concert. Two oldies I guess!!

Thanks!  Theater pipe organs are more common than most people would think, but they are definitely still a rare thing in today's world.  Just about every theater in the 1920's had one, but most were removed sometime between the end of silent movies and the demolition of many theaters in later years.

Thanks for the compliments!

For a first structure kit build, I'm quite pleased with how this project came out.  Andre's planning when making the kit definitely helped that.  Each piece was pretty obvious as to where it went, so things went together quickly.  I can't wait to get some lights inside.  I have a cutout of a photo of the lobby to mount inside the doors when I get the wiring done, so that should help bring it to life even more.

Jake,

What are the dates at the Redford Theater this year...I'm sure a few of us will be coming in from Marshall...mostly to see your train display. I have most of what we are going to do here, ready to go...thanks for all of the input. Working on the final details for the location. I want it up and running in time for our community Christmas Parade on November 30th and then it will run through Christmas. I'll send you updates by email as things progress.

Paul

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.