Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Originally Posted by Balto:

Here's a link to that set:

Kuddos to Hallmark for partnering with Lionel to promote o gauge and getting families thinking about trains during the holdidays. It would be great if the Hallmark Gold Crown Stores have this set displayed and operating beginning November 6th and continuing during the holiday season! Wonder how many of these sets have been manufactured and it doesn't say, but wonder if it includes a loop of FasTrack and a transformer?

Hallmark is going to have in November a complete Lionel Hallmark electric train set for $399.95

Last edited by ogaugeguy
Originally Posted by Mike W.:

Picked my ornaments up Saturday. Of course the colorway and mini Lionel set will be available in October.  I also picked up #2 in the Tin Toy Series...pressed tin Hallmark ornaments are always a favorite of mine.

Picked mine up too.  Did you have any particular thoughts on the railings on the engine and caboose, or how matched the units look size-wise?

I'm not a big fan of the unpainted plastic look on the actual Lionel models, and I have to admit I'm not thrilled with it here either.  The unpainted plastic orange handrails detract a bit for me.  Similar thoughts on the yellow railings on the ends of the caboose.

The series also seems a bit unmatched size wise if you put  them end to end.  The boxcar is maybe almost a high-cube (I didn't take out older  boxcars to check it, but it seems a bit on the tall side).  The caboose then looks pretty diminutive next to it.

I still like them, they will just not be in my favorites list from the series over the years.

-Dave

I got mine on Saturday, and I also took the Cougar Eliminator while I was there. Since it started, I've only missed one of the gold special editions. My wife used to work in a Hallmark store, so I got a nice discount back then. They dropped the Hallmark line, so I switched to another store in town. No discount, but they would sell me the locos in advance, then I would pick them up on the release day. Now they are gone too. Collecting things just keeps getting tougher.

Originally Posted by Andrew B.:

Went and looked today at the local Hallmark. Not a fan of the locomotives, or the 50th anni. Charlie Brown ornaments, but the Barney Fife is fun, and there's a Charlie Brown getting a Snoopy for Christmas I like (especially since it'll be my first Christmas with my new pup)

Be careful if you buy that one, I suspect the ears are quite fragile.  The one in my local store had the left ear missing when I was there within a few hours of the opening on Saturday.  I suppose it could have been dropped, etc, but it did seem naturally fragile and prone to breakage.  I wouldn't be surprised if it broke off just from a somewhat casual (not necessarily careless) inspection by a prospective buyer.

To keep my reply train related, I heard the employees discussing the Lionel set when I was there.  They apparently had people interested and were trying to figure out where to get more than their original allotment of 2 from to cover customer demand (I believe they were just looking for a third one, it didn't sound like they had 10 people ask about the set or anything like that).  Being part of a local franchise that probably has 20 or more stores in this area I suspect they will find enough for the demand.

I forget where, but I do recall seeing a date for the train set of November 7th or so.  I didn't know it was scheduled that late, but that would seem logical.

-Dave

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.