Skip to main content

Hello,

I happily just received my long-awaited Lionel Milwaukee Road 86' Hi-Cube Boxcar from Nassau Hobby. Lionel had a typical lead-time for them but well worth the wait & the cost. Crisp details, awesome scale, etc. They are monsters & take up some real estate though. I appreciate Nassau's superb service & quick shipping. Thanks!

20150209_163537

20150209_163144

20150209_163246

20150209_163155

Attachments

Images (4)
  • 20150209_163537
  • 20150209_163144
  • 20150209_163246
  • 20150209_163155
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Package tracking says mine will arrive tomorrow. Not sure it was a good idea to pre-order it -  I'm rapidly losing interest in modern trains of any kind. It's too big to run at home; I can only run it at the museum/club where I am a member. On the up side, it will anchor a consist of 89' Atlas piggyback flat cars, 60' hi-cube auto parts cars, and other 60-foot-plus modern or semi-modern cars. It will make an impressive train at the museum. 

A couple of things I'd advise:

1. Add some weight to the cars. They're a bit light. They'll track better.
  2. Put them towards the rear of the train, even behind the Atlas 89-foot flats and articulated auto racks. As you drag a long train through model railroad sharp curves, you'll need the shorter (hopefully properly weighted) cars up front to put more "flanges per foot" in the curve to keep the train from string-lining. Long-wheelbase cars don't help unless they're REALLY heavy.

Originally Posted by T4TT:

Doug,

Those cars look closer with the kinematic lobster claws than with the kadees.  Is that correct or is just an illusion due to the camera angle?  Just curious....

thanks

His second photos shows a high cube coupled to an autorack.

Because of the nature of the cushion under fame and the difference in overhang, the high cube carbodies are further apart than on autoracks.

86fhc

85far

Rusty

Attachments

Images (2)
  • 85far
  • 86fhc
Last edited by Rusty Traque

I believe it means only that the cars in the two-packs and the single cars for each road name don't duplicate numbers (and that probably holds true for the ones in the set with the CSX locomotive).

Lionel repeated that phrase in the catalog for the eight-door cars, but the dealer I ordered those from told me there is only one number for each road name for the 8-door model.

David

Originally Posted by NKP Muncie:

I believe it means only that the cars in the two-packs and the single cars for each road name don't duplicate numbers (and that probably holds true for the ones in the set with the CSX locomotive).

Lionel repeated that phrase in the catalog for the eight-door cars, but the dealer I ordered those from told me there is only one number for each road name for the 8-door model.

David

Thank you for the info. If that's the case, I'll have to find a single Santa fe - and maybe add one of the Rock Island 8 doors to my list - as a likely cross-road unit. I havent seen a real world example of a Santa fe 8 door - you'd think if Lionel had, it would have been a first run.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.