Skip to main content

Hi GUYZ,

With the dead line for pre orders happening tomorrow 3/15/15, I was wondering how many are ordering?  I just put my pre order into CHARLES RO, for the Santa Fe ES44AC cab number 444.  Even though the prices are high, I figure I have until September to save my pennies, lots of em.  What are you ordering if anything?

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I am still on the fence about the BNSF ES44AC, but placed my order yesterday at my LHS for these:

1 - Culvert Loader

1 - Culvert Unloader

2 - Culvert Gondolas - (Oops, this should have been 2 gondolas)

1 - Log Loader

1 - Gantry Crane

Wanted the Legacy crane car and tender, but the tab was already high enough on the above items so I stopped ordering. Maybe next time. 

Last edited by rtr12

I finally pulled the trigger and order a NS ES44AC from Nassau Hobby Center, yesterday.  The new pivoting pilot is what sealed the deal for me.  Purchased this engine to run with a NS Reading heritage engine (which I have yet to buy!)

Nassau had an excellent pre-order price of $520 for this engine.  

Jim

Jim

I ordered the Empire State Express set. Hopefully I will be able to complete the set later on, but my funds can't afford more than the set itself when the set is said to ship. As a hardcore NYC fan, and for one being really happy to see the beautiful ESE Hudson back with whistle steam, I had to have it, and it really is the star of this catalog.

I have never placed a pre-order for anything in my entire life. The best buys come on overstock, overruns, used, closeouts and surplus. You pay more when you pre-order; far less when you buy later. Since the stuff is not that important to me, I buy a year or two later at the lowest price possible.

I have found everything that I've ever wanted so far. The method seems to be working as I have a lot more money in my pocket than most.

I have never placed a pre-order for anything in my entire life. The best buys come on overstock, overruns, used, closeouts and surplus. You pay more when you pre-order; far less when you buy later. Since the stuff is not that important to me, I buy a year or two later at the lowest price possible.

I have found everything that I've ever wanted so far. The method seems to be working as I have a lot more money in my pocket than most.

Dennis,

Good luck with this approach in today manufacturing environment.  Except for a few outliers. there is a lot of stock that you would be lucky to even find one or two years after distribution, let alone at a discount. 

This is especially true of engines that have new features or new paint schemes.  (As an example, I have been looking for a Lionel NS Reading heritage engine.  Once in a blue moon I have seen them up on eBay, but usually around the original MSRP). 

You can pre-order a lot of engines at 15 - 20% MSRP, like what I've done with the NS ES44AC.

I have found quite a few terrific buys of new (or nearly new) engines and rolling stock on the second-hand market.  On the other hand, if there is something I want to enjoy now rather than later and its something I really want to have (like the 3rd rail ToT), a pre-order is the best way to get it at a good price.

I won't even go into trying to get warranty work done on these older engines.

Jim

I mulled over ordering a FEC ES44, but ultimately decided to pass as I thought the price is too high for my budget.

I did order one of the new Flyer "FlyerChief" Berkshires in Pere Marquette livery as I have a friend who worked on the original restoration many years ago and also want to let Lionel know there is a market for newly tooled "S"products if it is done half-way decently at a competitive price. It also gives me the option of running two locos on my single Flyer mainline using my one CabII and the new FlyerChief controller.

Originally Posted by laz1957:

Hi GUYZ,

With the dead line for pre orders happening tomorrow 3/15/15, I was wondering how many are ordering?  I just put my pre order into CHARLES RO, for the Santa Fe ES44AC cab number 444.  Even though the prices are high, I figure I have until September to save my pennies, lots of em.  What are you ordering if anything?

Pre-ordered the exact same thing. Santa Fe ES44AC cab number 444.

Last edited by WBC

I would have preferred an unstreamlined J3a, having requested one from Lionel the last few years they "kinda" came through.

The standard tender should negotiate my o-60 radius, I find the the less "fancy"/ more workhorse look/ arrangment  more appealing, not unlike a fully unstreamlined J3a. As a bonus, the "railroad finance manager" prefers it so...

I wasn't thrilled with the ESE hudson offering initially, but this one has "grown" on me. I'm waiting to hear from Mr. Muffin regarding delivery in December.....yeah, right, maybe 2016.

Last edited by RickO
LOL...Agree almost 100%...

I disagree about having more money in my pocket though...I have no money left because I think I got great deals hence I buy more

Originally Posted by Dennis LaGrua:

Last edited by BigBoy4014
Originally Posted by WBC:
Originally Posted by laz1957:

Hi GUYZ,

Pre-ordered the exact same thing. Santa Fe ES44AC cab number 444.

They are beautiful engines. Had a now retired Santa Fe friend over last week, said he had been saving in case these were ever done, was in for 4 units until Lionel told him they would come Norfolk Southern style, which makes the headlight in the wrong spot. He decided to vote with his wallet.

Last edited by Lima
Originally Posted by jd-train:

Dennis,

Good luck with this approach in today manufacturing environment.  Except for a few outliers. there is a lot of stock that you would be lucky to even find one or two years after distribution, let alone at a discount. 

This is especially true of engines that have new features or new paint schemes.  (As an example, I have been looking for a Lionel NS Reading heritage engine.  Once in a blue moon I have seen them up on eBay, but usually around the original MSRP). 

You can pre-order a lot of engines at 15 - 20% MSRP, like what I've done with the NS ES44AC.

I have found quite a few terrific buys of new (or nearly new) engines and rolling stock on the second-hand market.  On the other hand, if there is something I want to enjoy now rather than later and its something I really want to have (like the 3rd rail ToT), a pre-order is the best way to get it at a good price.

I won't even go into trying to get warranty work done on these older engines.

Jim

You state "Good luck with this approach in today manufacturing environment." What's changed? Creating a product that creates a demand. A product that must be priced to meet a consumers quality expectations of the product, long or short term.

JD-trains makes some valid points. The one major point of agreement is Pre-order.

I wouldn't put five dollars down for a pre-order.  Although, the overall build of the Asian product is good. Some of the recurrent issues, as smoke unit reliability is a big issue. 

So, scare me with build to order? I will lose out on a product? If I don't order now. Although, the real intent of BTO may have been to supply engines to customers that may not have been produced in the past. Personally, it does instill a lose out

"I have to by it now " mentality.

Also, available inventory is not affected by the consumer alone. Dealers can purchase as many as they like for spare inventory. So, one never knows the true inventory in the open market place.

You must also consider technology changes. I just bought into the sensor track technology. I really want all of my engines to have this technology. Someone that waited for engine x- that doesn't care about that feature, is going to get a good deal on some of my engines void of this feature.

There are many virtues to waiting. My life will go on without the hobby.

Dennis 

Last edited by shawn

Although, most of the product for PREORDER/BTO looks fantastic. I refuse to buy a product before seeing it in person. A review by a respected member in the Community is also a plus.

Although, Prices are through the roof. If the quality and durability of the product is high. I don't find some price increases a issue. 

The other issue is Lionel marketing. It is good business sense to create demand at the scale end. It is re**rded to hollow out the middle.

I still considerer not unifying the command systems from high to low. As one stupid A$ decision.

I'll sitting it out...

Last edited by shawn
Originally Posted by wtjohn:

Put my deposit on the following items:

US Air Force #46

USAF sound car

Missile carrying car

Sam Grant boxcar

enjoy your trains...

These were tempting, I think my grandson would have liked them, but as in my post above, the budget comfort limit was reached and I had to draw the totals line before adding these. On the brighter side, my LHS ordered some so I may get to see them, but the owner was talking about keeping them for himself. He liked them too.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.