Skip to main content

I am on the fence about whether to buy the new version that is in the lionel signature catalog,or wait for the next vision line steam engine to come out,i have 060 & 072 curves,but all of my switches for the sidings are 036,what i like about the challenger is the 031 radius so this would work well for me,what i would like to know is what do other forum members think of the lionmaster challenger?,i have done a search on the forum & it seems almost all who have these engines are happy with them, if the response is positive,i will most likely order one,then i may buy 1 more steam engine & it would probably be a vision line steamer,& that would probably be the last engine i buy because i already have about 12 or 13 engines as it is,it just doesn't make sense for to keep buying engines with the small size layout that i have,at least thats what i am saying now,we will wait & see about that part, so what do you think of this engine?,thanks for your responses.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

My medium sized layout has an 072 loop but the majority is 036 curves and switches.  I pre-ordered a 2015 legacy lionmaster challenger so I can use my recently aquired 990 throughout the layout. I also have a Legacy Tuscan K4 (catalog says 036 minimum) but without the Lionmaster line it is tough to find 036 capable Legacy steam that I like.

Challenger looks great and I am looking forward to the steam whistle smoke effect.

I would like to add 1 more thought to this,i really liked the scale polar express that was in the last signature catalog  i thought it had a lot of nice details on it,i didn't order it because i am still rebuilding my layout & i wasn't ready to be ordering any new engines,when i finish rebuilding,& if the scale polar express is available again i probably will order it.

If you listen to The Podcast, Mike made it very clear they brought them back because of customer requests, however if they don't sell, they will not keep making them.  So all you guys who have been complaining about Lionmasters not being made better buy them if you want to see anymore.  Otherwise this will probably be it.  With the BTO, they are protecting themselves from people who keep saying they want things and then never buy them when they are actually made.

Do it.  I have 6-11200 which was the last  release of Lionmaster. Great compressed look and even with the compromises it holds up with scale rolling stock and even other locos. 

See the O Gauge Union Pacific thread on the photo album forum for visuals.

JLC Legacy Big Boy (Top) Legacy 4-12-2 (Center) Legacy Lionmaster Challenger (Bottom) 

Lionel%20Union%20Pacific.8

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Lionel%20Union%20Pacific.8
Last edited by WITZ 41

IMO all the Lionmaster locos are great, I had all ( until I switched to full scale) of them except for the T1. Hudson, challenger, cab forward, bigboy, and class A my personal favorite.

They've had far more runs of challengers than any of the others.

IMO Lionel needs to bring back the hudson and A, they were only made once over 10 years ago. The Lionmaster a was, and still is one of my favorites, even though I no longer own it

And of course the NP challenger from 2003:

Attachments

Images (4)
Last edited by RickO
Originally Posted by rockstars1989:

I know the lion master challenger is rated at O-31 curves but I am having a hard time imagining a challenger locomotive going through O-36 turnouts.You have wide radius (O-72&O-60)curves.Why did you opt.to use O-36 turnouts?Nick

Yes O 36 turnouts not the best for these challengers either. The cab would swing out and hit the switch stand.

Just love the LionMaster Challenger which I've owned since 2008 and it runs just fine on 31 curve.  I will certainly consider buying the 2015 iteration which hopefully will have the upgraded whistle steam.  Looks ok too running with the other scale engines. When I was at York 2013, I mentioned to the Lionel marketing people that I thought they were missing out by not coming out with more LionMaster offerings. 

Rockstars1989, The reason i used 036 switches is i have 14 of them,all in perfect working order & i wasn't about to spend all that extra money for o60,or 072 switches,also even if an engine could not make it through  an 036 switch i can still run it on either the 060,or 072 loop,besides all those switches are for sidings only,where i park trains so it isn't necessary for an engine to go through a switch on the main loop,i would rather spend the money on a new engine,when you are limited to what you can spend,we have to make some compromises.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.