Skip to main content

I noticed in the 2015 catalog the missile launching engine has listed is a "can motor" in the description of the engine features.      Can anyone confirm that? The older TMCC versions had an AC motor. I think a can would be a good thing but I'm not sure if it is a typo in the catalog? 

Last edited by Chris Lonero
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
I've avoided buying one, even though it looks like fun, because I was told they are very poor locos.  Is there room to add much weight to improve traction in the older models?  it looks like there might not be much space to add weights, etc., given everything and the shape of the body, etc.

Poor runners by what standard?

I have owned a number of the Postwar ones.

The postwar ones have a standard Alco/switcher motor with magnetraction, a three position e-unit and a dummy coupler (no front coupler). They run as well as any of the switchers / ALCOs of the period.

IMHO, the biggest downside is that the shells are fragile. It is very common for some of the steps to be broken off, and for the front bumper to be broken off.

I also have both of the Modern era sets. I never got around to running the modern era ones.

I run the Army 44 remake with additional cars.  I swapped out the Magnetraction only truck for a truck with both Magnetraction and traction tire (used on some of the Geeps).  It pulls eveything now.

This was discussed several years ago on the forum, when the remakes first came out.

If the 2015 ones have a can motor they are going to need some added weight, in addition to the traction tire.

Originally Posted by Chris Lonero:

I noticed in the 2015 catalog the missile launching engine has listed is a "can motor" in the description of the engine features.      Can anyone confirm that? The older TMCC versions had an AC motor. I think a can would be a good thing but I'm not sure if it is a typo in the catalog? 

I'd check with Lionel but I cannot imagine that after all these years they have changed this model to a can motor. For one thing, there isn't the space in the motor location (under the cab) for a can motor either mounted upright or horizontally - I looked into converting my US Army TMCC version of this to can motor power and decided it could not be done.

I think that the catalog description of the motor is definitely a typo.

Anyway, I am a great fan of the current version of this engine even if the AC motor is prone to jackrabbit starts and the missile firing mechanism needs to be sitting on or near a terminal track section to work reliably. I can live with these things and the rocket firing sound effects sure do please the visitors.

Originally Posted by C W Burfle:

Poor runners by what standard?

I was told that they will only pull five or six cars, that they tend to spin their wheels - lots of power, no traction.  I have several military trains with some heavy (diecast armor) I'd like to pull: about 10-12 cars.

They look really cool - very "I'm eight-years-old-and-will-die-if-I-don't-get-one"  

Chris

I have not run either of mine so I can't comment on that. But, I love the old toy look and they look great to me. I will be ordering the two new complete sets . Air Force and the other that matches my Operation Eagle Justice Set.

I don't think I have missed getting any of the Lionel military sets or cars in the modern era. I'm a sucker for them.

Besides,  Charlie has already made a good dent in the MSRP pre orders on these, just FYI.

Larry

DSCN3551

Attachments

Images (1)
  • DSCN3551

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.