Skip to main content

Was able to attend the Toy Fair in NYC this weekend.  Bachman had 2015 catalogs available.

Not sure if this info has been already been posted, the following are labeled as new in the catalog:

Chuggington - 2 locos and 4 pieces of rolling stock

additional rolling stock for RB&BB circus series

4-6-0 locos - B&O, SP

GP-38 - 4 new roadnames

GP-30 - 3 new roadnames

Alco FA-1 & FB-1 pair - UP, CP, GM&O, Erie

EZ street expressway set with Plasticville Interchange building

21 inch diameter EZ streets remote turnouts

Front runner intermodal cars in 4 roadnames

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

While there are a few new products, I believe that Bachmann Williams still needs to come out with more new products. For instance they only offer only one caboose type but it is the porthole which was not used on all road names. I also noticed that the MSRP's have risen significantly but the Williams street price has always been way below list. I guess my next trip to the train show will really tell the story. As the only manufacturer in the hobby with its own factories it is the price leader.  IMO, Bachmann Williams owns the conventional market but it looks like RMT is also good on price.

The catalog still shows HO pics for the "updated" GP-38 with True Blast Plus.  Still no word on when these will actually be produced.  And will they be another K-Line remake?

My favorite Williams stuff has been discontinued from production altogether, and the high (even street) prices for remaining products keep me searching in the secondary market.

The old E7 and scale GG1 are two examples of scarcity and higher pricing of some discontinued items in the secondary market.  There is presently only one set of E7 diesels listed on the auction site, and sold prices of certain roadnames of those units have been rising steadily.

the prices are nuts.  I know most people don't pay retail, but if I went & supported my LHS, they would charge full retail. Seems like a no win situation for all sides.   I'm surprised they dropped a lot of their classic engines - GG1, FM, etc.  GP9s are in the same road names as the last few years w/ fewer choices.    I would think they would offer more in the Golden Memories series too. 

I think this confirms what we already knew from the Lionel catalog, that costs of production and delivery of products have gone up substantially for whatever reasons.  I'm sure this is bothering the manufacturers at least as much as it bothers us .

One could speculate that Williams's sales are perhaps only 10-20% of Lionel's volume, at most, and that accounts for the high MSRPs, even for locos without command control or high quality sound.  Whatever economies of scale Lionel can muster might not apply to Williams.  That said, a LionChief + loco at the same MSRP as a conventional Williams loco will be difficult competition to meet.

Last edited by Landsteiner

A few items by Williams that are out are; E Z Streets turnpike set, and E Z Streets switches(both L & R) in D-21 size curve. Also one or two new E Z Street vehicles.

For better prices on WBB items check out www.trainworld.com

I saved over $100.00 ordering the E Z Street set through Train World on line.

The listed MSRP prices in their online website are way too high.

Lee Fritz

Last edited by phillyreading
Originally Posted by Martin H:

$77 for a MPC-era 40ft boxcar?  Those are about $13 on ebay.

I don't think WbB sells anything that was made by MPC!!!

Agreed that prices are to high for old Williams tooling that some goes back to the 1960's.

I had better hopes that Bachmann would continue the Williams legacy.

The GOOD news is there is TONS of Williams and  other brands on the used market on ebay, shows and best of all OGRforum members.  More than I'll ever need!

Originally Posted by Bill T:

Yep, the catalog list prices are way, way over the top. In the past most of the large dealers really discounted WBB trains big time, I wonder if that will be the same for 2015.

I dont think you will see that much discounting in the future.  Perfect example - I was looking at a Lionel coal dump car last night. Didn't matter which road name, just wanted to get one for the layout, although I was partial to Conrail.  The Conrail one just came out - cheapest I could find it was in the $50-60 range.  Older ones, of the same model were a lot cheaper, so the big cut of the MSRP may be shrinking. I didn't wind up getting the Conrail car at those prices btw. 

I for one have to wonder what the "brains" at WBB are thinking. List prices in the new catalog are out of sight (for WBB) and I just don't understand them dropping the scale GG1s. The WBB scale GG1 *was* one of the best values in O scale and one of their best locomotives. They are strong, reliable runners. Scale wise and detail wise they are "close enough' especially considering heir affordability. There are a couple of things n the new catalog that are interesting but I'll have to wait and see what the "street price" ends up being before I'll invest.

Originally Posted by Christopher2035:
Originally Posted by Bill T:

Yep, the catalog list prices are way, way over the top. In the past most of the large dealers really discounted WBB trains big time, I wonder if that will be the same for 2015.

I dont think you will see that much discounting in the future.  Perfect example - I was looking at a Lionel coal dump car last night. Didn't matter which road name, just wanted to get one for the layout, although I was partial to Conrail.  The Conrail one just came out - cheapest I could find it was in the $50-60 range.  Older ones, of the same model were a lot cheaper, so the big cut of the MSRP may be shrinking. I didn't wind up getting the Conrail car at those prices btw. 

Bachmann in large scale ends up selling 50 off list after some time. Just wait for Trainworld to eventually have blowout sale due to poor sales.

Originally Posted by Dennis LaGrua:

While there are a few new products, I believe that Bachmann Williams still needs to come out with more new products. For instance they only offer only one caboose type but it is the porthole which was not used on all road names. I also noticed that the MSRP's have risen significantly but the Williams street price has always been way below list. I guess my next trip to the train show will really tell the story. As the only manufacturer in the hobby with its own factories it is the price leader.  IMO, Bachmann Williams owns the conventional market but it looks like RMT is also good on price.

Not many universal cabeese out there short of the Reading type which a number of roads used.

Originally Posted by Landsteiner:

I think this confirms what we already knew from the Lionel catalog, that costs of production and delivery of products have gone up substantially for whatever reasons.  I'm sure this is bothering the manufacturers at least as much as it bothers us .

One could speculate that Williams's sales are perhaps only 10-20% of Lionel's volume, at most, and that accounts for the high MSRPs, even for locos without command control or high quality sound.  Whatever economies of scale Lionel can muster might not apply to Williams.  That said, a LionChief + loco at the same MSRP as a conventional Williams loco will be difficult competition to meet.

WBB is part of Kader Industries, they have their own manufacturing. Pretty sure WBB gets a pretty good deal on manufacturing from their parent company.

Originally Posted by AMCDave:
Originally Posted by Martin H:

$77 for a MPC-era 40ft boxcar?  Those are about $13 on ebay.

I don't think WbB sells anything that was made by MPC!!!

Agreed that prices are to high for old Williams tooling that some goes back to the 1960's.

I had better hopes that Bachmann would continue the Williams legacy.

The GOOD news is there is TONS of Williams and  other brands on the used market on ebay, shows and best of all OGRforum members.  More than I'll ever need!

60s?  Go back even further - 1950s for the boxcar, reefer and stockcar, as well as the original F unit that Williams offered use AMT dies that were cut in the 50s for my favorite Indiana-based model train company.   

Last edited by MTN
Originally Posted by jonnyspeed:

This moaning about pricing is ridiculous.

Example:

WBB Erie FAs:

MSRP $569.99

Street price (from a forum sponsor) $319.99

Inflated MSRP is just an old marketing trick. Nothing new to see here....move along.

Could you mention that in the innumerable threads concerning Lionel's catalog pricing???     That poor MSRP horse has been flogged to death...

I thing that the used market , is overshadowing the new market .there are so many dealers that sell just new old stock at good prices . the current manufactures have started to realize  this, and are adjusting there out put .to survive this , and the economic down turn. there has all was been a market for high end trains in this hobby. The first scale Hudson in 1937 sold for 75.00 dollars, which was the wage for the average man for a month , and Lionel sold them. wright know most of the post on the forum , read ,looking for the best price possible, and that market is flooded. History tends to repeat itself 2000.00 for a big boy in tough economy , with limited running capacity and they sold. I couldn't afford one , so I bought from the flush used market at deflated prices .   manufactures first and foremost are in business to make money, just my 10 cents techman     

I have also been a big fan of Williams. Thay were well built and run like the dickens and reasonably priced. I was apprehensive when Bachmann bought them.   I was afraid of what we are now seeing with price increases and some of their offerings.

I do wish them well but barring any deep discounts off list I'll have to go to the secondary market for something I can afford.

Ed

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.