Skip to main content

A quick note from Friday at the S Fest.

The MTH S Fest Sprecher reefers didn't make it for the Fest and are due in December.  They have sold well.  (Maybe the F3's are in the same container?)  Registrations for Friday, including walk in's was around 250.

Couple of empty tables, but some folks can only make it on Saturday.  Pretty much the usual suspects for the Fest.  Mostly Flyer and Hi-Rail, but some gems for the scale guys, too.

Fox Valley Models was showing off samples of their new track: (Cell phone shots)

S Fest 110416 004S Fest 110416 005

35.4" Flex track, #5 turnouts (available as Hi-Rail or Scale) insulated and regular rail joiners.  Bundle of 6 sections of Flex $65.00, turnouts $34.00.

Most interesting items seen so far: A custom painted AM GG1 in Milwaukee Road (well done, too...)

S Fest 110416 003

And at the model contest: Take 2 K5's an an AM tender, stir, bake at 350 degrees for 2 hours and Presto!  A freelance Cab Forward:

S Fest 110416 006

Well, it's a little more complicated than that, but it's a pretty nice model.

That's it for now.  Gotta get ready to go back.

Rusty

Attachments

Images (4)
  • S Fest 110416 004
  • S Fest 110416 005
  • S Fest 110416 003
  • S Fest 110416 006
Last edited by Rusty Traque
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Rusty Traque posted:

A quick note from Friday at the S Fest.

The MTH S Fest Sprecher reefers didn't make it for the Fest and are due in December.  They have sold well.  (Maybe the F3's are in the same container?)  Registrations for Friday, including walk in's was around 250.

Couple of empty tables, but some folks can only make it on Saturday.  Pretty much the usual suspects for the Fest.  Mostly Flyer and Hi-Rail, but some gems for the scale guys, too.

Fox Valley Models was showing off samples of their new track: (Cell phone shots)

S Fest 110416 004S Fest 110416 005

35.4" Flex track, #5 turnouts (available as Hi-Rail or Scale) insulated and regular rail joiners.  Bundle of 6 sections of Flex $65.00, turnouts $34.00.

Most interesting items seen so far: A custom painted AM GG1 in Milwaukee Road (well done, too...)

S Fest 110416 003

And at the model contest: Take 2 K5's an an AM tender, stir, bake at 350 degrees for 2 hours and Presto!  A freelance Cab Forward:

S Fest 110416 006

Well, it's a little more complicated than that, but it's a pretty nice model.

That's it for now.  Gotta get ready to go back.

Rusty

Thanks Rusty, I always enjoy your reviews and your photos. They give me hope for the future

Don 

Hit the road back to S Fest on Saturday.  A couple of more cell phone shots from the model contest.  Seems my phone isn't fond of meeting hall shots.  Next time I'm bringing my pocket camera.

A pair of modified AM E8's for Rock Island:

S Fest 110516 001

And the kinda neat mining loco for the Gilbert dump cars:

S Fest 110516 007

Next year's Fest is being hosted by the Stateline group.  Here's what the 2017 S Fest car will be:

S Fest 110516 002

I'm in...

And now, my Fest finds:

First up, this American Models boxcar was a Spring S Spree car for the Cuyahoga Valley S Gaugers, sometime in the late 80's as I recall.  It's on my list to be scalified.

KGB 110616 006

Next, I picked up this custom painted AM covered Hopper by Ken Zeiska.

KGB 110616 008

And finally, I've been orbiting around AM Superliner sets for the past couple of Fests, wondering whether or not to pick up a set.   I finally bit the bullet and at the best price I've seen for one.  Scale, phase III paint and with the extra diner, no box, no track for much less than a boxed set.  Good things come to those who wait.

KGB 110616 002KGB 110616 004

Also, this set came to the Fest via the Empire Builder!

Anyways...  There was a good mix of old and new Flyer, Hirail  and Scale at this Fest.  AM must be cleaning house, they had a couple of AC Hirail SD60's available and even a PA or two.  Sadly, it seems were beginning to see more collections of those that have passed on or are leaving the scale for various reasons in general.  Still, folks seemed pretty upbeat.

I didn't hear any buzz about MTH (except for the delay of Fest cars) one way or the other.

Overall, it's always good to be where S folks gather.  Whether a Fest is good or bad is pretty much an individual perspective.  Of course, there's the social aspect, seeing many folks one hasn't seen in a year.   Then there's the stuff.  Old, new, unique and commonplace.  The occasional surprise.  It's all there.

Adding up the total experience, at least from my perspective, the Fest was a success.

Rusty

Attachments

Images (7)
  • S Fest 110516 001
  • S Fest 110516 007
  • S Fest 110516 002
  • KGB 110616 008
  • KGB 110616 002
  • KGB 110616 004
  • KGB 110616 006
Last edited by Rusty Traque

I too like to fest car for next year. I wish I would have realized that fox valley models was there, it would have been nice to prod them to see if there is anything from their HO/N line in the future will be scaled up.  

All in all it was a good time, and I look forward to next year.  Now in one weekend I will be at Trainfest, chasing down Lionel and MTH.  

A view to the left and right walking in.

IMG_3613IMG_3614

Some additional pick ups. 

IMG_3623IMG_3624IMG_3625

Ben

Attachments

Images (5)
  • IMG_3613
  • IMG_3614
  • IMG_3623
  • IMG_3624
  • IMG_3625

Ben, looks like you came prepared to buy. I wish I could ave been there. The UP E8 is one of the engines Ed just finished modifying for me. 

On the other posts I think anyone making scale appearing high rail turnouts for S is a positive development. The turnouts pictured do not have wing rails or guide rails. Those could be added so the turnouts could accommodate both high rail and scale. The frog depth may need to be modified as well.  

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.