Skip to main content

We've all seen the 2016 catalog by now and many of us have placed orders for some of the newly released items. I for one have ordered the Katy SD70ACe as I had been waiting for that one for a long time. The Frisco Meteor Northern is another beautiful engine and I have added it to my want list. Both of these engines were a surprise to me and it tells me that Lionel hasn't swept the American Flyer line into the trash but is still willing to produce new models and/or paint schemes. The FlyerChief line will undoubtedly take a front seat in new production.

Assuming that's so I thought it might be worth the effort to seek out new engines or paint schemes that might entice Lionel to continue to make new product without breaking the bank so to speak. Asking for huge investments in new tooling for never before produced engines and cars is not the way to go at this time IMHO. So I wondered what types of engines could be produced with minimal changes to an existing mold.

Mark

Last edited by banjoflyer
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

That was a special paint job for a February 1964 General Electric sales campaign in Southern California, long after the last fire was dropped in 1957 on the Santa Fe.  By March, they saw a red chooch and they had to paint it black (Sorry, Mick...) .  I'm not even sure the 1010 was fired up for the promotion, being there's a coal pile on top of the tender's oil tank.

The Pacific/Mikado tooling is too nice to screw it up to try to make a stand-in for the rather homely 1000 class Prairie.

For those desiring a red Locomotive, look for the Flyer Alton Pacific, at least it's a lot closer to Alton's 4-6-2's:

C&A 4-6-2 659

Color doesn't necessarily sell, I keep seeing Flyer Southern Mikado's going for less than what they initially sold for:

SOU 2-8-2 4501

Might as well paint the Flyer Northern gold...

4-8-4 CBQ 5632 gold

Rusty

Attachments

Images (3)
  • C&A 4-6-2 659
  • SOU 2-8-2 4501
  • 4-8-4 CBQ 5632 gold
Last edited by Rusty Traque

You guys are bringing a smile to my face.  We just got the 2016 catalog so probably Lionel is months from planning or thinking about new Flyer tooling.  I don't think posting here causes Lionel to produce anything.  Look at what came out in the catalog after all the suggestions and ideas that were posted here.

Well, you might take credit for the Katy SD70?? 

When I interview Lionel at York in April I hope to get an idea of what is cooking.  Normally they released the catalog right before York so they are 4 months ahead this year.

Write more and let me grin for a month.  I love this stuff.  

Seriously, I'm not really worried about the next catalog because I believe there will be even less for the scale modeler than the current one... 

Except for the continuing mortal remains of the cylindrical hoppers...

Now there may be some new things of interest for the Flyer guys and that's OK, but that's not where my attention's shifted to.

Rusty

Mark,

I have one of the Berkshire's and I only ran it about twenty minutes poor smoke and a SQUEAK!  Sent it back for repair they returned it said they replaced smoke unit.This time it circled 8' oval about ten times and stalled halfway around stall&stall &stall .

The smoke output was very weak and it is going back again

LAST ONE FOR ME!

Gunny

Rusty Traque posted:

Might as well paint the Flyer Northern gold...

4-8-4 CBQ 5632 gold

Rusty

I would not mind the CB&Q O5 and/or O5A northerns in s-scale if Lionel did them. I not really a big "Q" guy but they sure did have some of my favorite freight color (Chinese Red, Black and Gray and that white color on their EMD F-3's). Come one LIONEL bring out scale sized GP-7/9's in either Chinese Red the Everywhere West slogan or Route of the Zephyrs slogan. 

TRAINMANTIM posted:

I would not mind the CB&Q O5 and/or O5A northerns in s-scale if Lionel did them. I not really a big "Q" guy but they sure did have some of my favorite freight color (Chinese Red, Black and Gray and that white color on their EMD F-3's). Come one LIONEL bring out scale sized GP-7/9's in either Chinese Red the Everywhere West slogan or Route of the Zephyrs slogan. 

Actually Everywhere West appeared on the engineer's side, Way of the Zephyrs on the fireman's side on the Blackbird's.  The slogans did not appear on the Redbirds, replaced by the large Burlington lettering as illustrated on this River Raisin SD9.

CBQ SD9 453 122312 01

The slogans did appear on the Chinese red boxcars (again one on each side) in far less grand script:

frt 051014 06

Rusty

Attachments

Images (2)
  • CBQ SD9 453 122312 01
  • frt 051014 06
Last edited by Rusty Traque
Rusty Traque posted:
TRAINMANTIM posted:

Actually Everywhere West appeared on the engineer's side, Way of the Zephyrs on the fireman's side on the Blackbird's.  The slogans did not appear on the Redbirds, replaced by the large Burlington lettering as illustrated on this River Raisin SD9.

CBQ SD9 453 122312 01

The slogans did appear on the Chinese red boxcars (again one on each side) in far less grand script:

frt 051014 06

Rusty

Thank you Rusty for the black bird name. At time I was writing the post before I couldn't think of that name. The diesel that Burlington had that I think would be nice to have are the SD24's, heck U30c's (which are C&S/CB&Q units) in Chinese wouldn't be bad.  Since the SD24's were built in 59 and into the 60's, they would only be in Chinese red? Are the CB&Q boxcars from American Models or S-Helper? 

TRAINMANTIM posted:

frt 051014 06

Rusty

Thank you Rusty for the black bird name. At time I was writing the post before I couldn't think of that name. The diesel that Burlington had that I think would be nice to have are the SD24's, heck U30c's (which are C&S/CB&Q units) in Chinese wouldn't be bad.  Since the SD24's were built in 59 and into the 60's, they would only be in Chinese red? Are the CB&Q boxcars from American Models or S-Helper? 

Tim, 

The SD24's were the first locomotives delivered in Chinese red. 

The boxcars are Pacific Rail Shops kits from around 2001-2002 if I remember correctly.  They were fundraisers for a Colorado club in order to host a convention.  Three road numbers were offered in CB&Q, two in C&S and one in FW&D.  Today, I'm kicking myself for not getting the C&S and FW&D cars.

AM still offers a CB&Q boxcar and SHS did a CB&Q custom run for John Huster about a decade ago.

Rusty

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.