Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Producing tinplate is increasingly difficult and MTH is not seeing the market it once had.  Fewer dealers are ordering it.  I recently pleaded for more starter sets in O and STD gauges.  In my most recent conversation with MTH Sales Department, don't get too excited.

Tinplate items from MTH are going to be fewer and fewer.  The latest batch of cancellations tells us it won't be produced unless there is more demand from consumers and dealers for it.

The last few Christmas sets sold so well for us, we couldn't keep them in stock and I got them by the pallet!   Here are a few sets we sold and some we sold a LOT of:

MTH:  BRING YOUR STARTER SETS BACK!  It brings new people into the Tinplate hobby, even if it is only at Christmastime.

Sorry folks, I don't have any of the sets above available except I have only one of:

http://www.jrjunction.com/cgi-...action&key=15936

Consumers contacting MTH and demanding new tinplate will get heard.  Don't stop bugging them for it!

I seriously doubt that it will happen, but during some of my regular conversations with Rich Foster, we talked about the possibility of producing, e.g., the Big Boy or Challenger in tinplate, or some Great Northern (e.g., the R-2) or Northern Pacific big steam together with matching passenger cars (State or even Showroom cars); or even the Super 381 in such road names.  There is some precedent for doing real or past road names, but only time will tell.  As it stands, David and JRJunction are pretty much on the money.

However, as I noted in my first opening note and as JRJunction said, let MTH know what you want....so, again, write Mike at "mikew@mth-railking.com" and/or Rich Foster at "richf@mth-railking.com".  They do listen and if there is enough interest to warrant the production, it will happen over the course of time.

As someone who is slowly growing a tinplate collection, the lack of production from the last catalog is both frustrating and disheartening.  I had at least one of the transitional cars on order, wish it hadn’t been cancelled.  

I have collected 4 2816 hoppers, and plan to get about 2 or 3 more.  I am waiting on delivery of a 263e from the last catalog to pull them.  The caboose choices are slim, unless you really like squashed looking center cupola models. 

The lack of engine styles is one thing that held me back.  I like the tinplate look/style but I didn’t want the same thing that had been produced for 3/4 of a century.  I have even scoured evilbay and Yamazon to see if anyone had some beater 261, 262, 263 locomotives for sale with the intent of starting a bash/stretching project and almost always strike out.  

I will do as suggested and reach out to Mth to let them know I am still looking for new tinplate.

Jhz

JR Junction Train & Hobby posted:

The 390E Steam locomotives are finally on the water.  (We are still taking DISCOUNTED pre-orders for all of the 390E's.)  Tinplate track stock at MTH is being refreshed and there should be more O gauge tinplate released this spring.  No news on any new catalog.  That's all the news I know of!

Any news on the 263e's?

Hey, Thanks for the update, one quick question, any update on cars such as the Goetz 2814 beer car from 2015 that I think we were told it was on hold which is fine.  I also think some of us have been told by different sources that it may now be close to production or "on the boat".  Can you provide any info or update on the correctness of those rumors?  Thanks in advance.

Dennis Holler posted:

Hey, Thanks for the update, one quick question, any update on cars such as the Goetz 2814 beer car from 2015 that I think we were told it was on hold which is fine.  I also think some of us have been told by different sources that it may now be close to production or "on the boat".  Can you provide any info or update on the correctness of those rumors?  Thanks in advance.

Sorry,  I believe those are rumors.  We have no purchase orders for the 11-70117, which means it was most likely cancelled.  I suggest you check with your dealer to confirm my belief.

All the freight cars with postwar die cast trucks from the 2015 catalog were definitely cancelled for lack of pre orders.

No new LCT catalog this year.  If anything is announced it will be a pamphlet online.

really rather sad,but we had a lot of tinplate made that we never thought would happen,kinda good,,will help recover from all the big spending I have done in the last several years,ie all the af sets,may be time for mth to revisit the friends in korea again,thanks for all the updates,terry

terry hudon posted:

No new LCT catalog this year.  If anything is announced it will be a pamphlet online.

really rather sad,but we had a lot of tinplate made that we never thought would happen,kinda good,,will help recover from all the big spending I have done in the last several years,ie all the af sets,may be time for mth to revisit the friends in korea again,thanks for all the updates,terry

I'll say it's sad.  I've only been into tinplate for a couple months!  What's interesting is every dealer of tinplate I've spoken to has said the same thing: they sell the Christmas sets by the boatload.  You'd think they'd at least keep making those.  Makes me think it's a manufacturing issue.

Makes me think it's a manufacturing issue.

I'm inclined to think that overall consumer demand...or lack thereof...has a lot to do with this.

That's based on a brief comment Rich Foster made to me when I was picking up MTH catalogs at their truck at a York Meet...a couple years ago, anyway.  I had asked about an item on behalf of one of our customers (LHS).  He commented that tinplate overall was becoming a tough sell...or words to that effect. 

If there's a "manufacturing issue" it may have something to do with the declining size of a run for a given item.  So many (all?) of the importers in this hobby have to negotiate minimum run sizes re the cost of the product (translating: Price to us) before they even get a schedule of items, begin designs/tooling, etc..  Manufacturers, wholesalers, retailers are all not thrilled at the prospect of having shelves of unsold items just for the sake of helping hit a minimum.  Lionel's BTO (Build To Order) demonstrates how serious this issue is. 

So, it's still "No tickee, no washee!" ...build to the contracted commitment minimum, or it's a 'pass', postponement, cancellation, .....whatever.

And, if that is an increasingly frequent situation for a segment of the hobby....e.g., Tinplate...then it's hard to justify printing an annual catalog of, what?....dreams?....frustrations?.........anger?

I know Mike and his fellow leaders stand before us at several communication sessions preceding/during events/meets like York and take questions.  Polite candor on our part might get some educational candor on theirs.  Worth a try, anyway.

KD

Dennis Holler posted:

Sorry,  I believe those are rumors.  We have no purchase orders for the 11-70117, which means it was most likely cancelled.  I suggest you check with your dealer to confirm my belief.

All the freight cars with postwar die cast trucks from the 2015 catalog were definitely cancelled for lack of pre orders.

I didn't want to believe it, because my dealer certainly has pre-orders, but here you go... It's official! 

Screen Shot 2018-03-21 at 3.26.36 PM

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Screen Shot 2018-03-21 at 3.26.36 PM
dkdkrd posted:
 Makes me think it's a manufacturing issue.

I'm inclined to think that overall consumer demand...or lack thereof...has a lot to do with this.

That's based on a brief comment Rich Foster made to me when I was picking up MTH catalogs at their truck at a York Meet...a couple years ago, anyway.  I had asked about an item on behalf of one of our customers (LHS).  He commented that tinplate overall was becoming a tough sell...or words to that effect. 

If there's a "manufacturing issue" it may have something to do with the declining size of a run for a given item.  So many (all?) of the importers in this hobby have to negotiate minimum run sizes re the cost of the product (translating: Price to us) before they even get a schedule of items, begin designs/tooling, etc..  Manufacturers, wholesalers, retailers are all not thrilled at the prospect of having shelves of unsold items just for the sake of helping hit a minimum.  Lionel's BTO (Build To Order) demonstrates how serious this issue is. 

So, it's still "No tickee, no washee!" ...build to the contracted commitment minimum, or it's a 'pass', postponement, cancellation, .....whatever.

And, if that is an increasingly frequent situation for a segment of the hobby....e.g., Tinplate...then it's hard to justify printing an annual catalog of, what?....dreams?....frustrations?.........anger?

I know Mike and his fellow leaders stand before us at several communication sessions preceding/during events/meets like York and take questions.  Polite candor on our part might get some educational candor on theirs.  Worth a try, anyway.

KD

Maybe MTH could just sell us the artwork, and I will make my own decals...

Scratch that, they did! I just noticed a feature called "Generate ZIP file with product images".  Now, that gets me thinking... Hmmm?

George

Last edited by George S

all my work career I have been on the fringe of public relations,that being said,,,i would have thought it would be mth's duty to all the tinplaters out there,,,,to make some kind of statement about the catalogue of lack there of,i've always been a believer  a little information is better than none,none has the perception of hiding something,so mike man up and make a statement to your loyal tinplaters

I enjoy the tinplate reproductions and have bought many of them.  However, with a few exceptions, in the past few years it has been a case of "same item, different paint job".  How many 400E engines does a person need?  It's a catch 22 - the demand needs to be there in order to justify the cost and risk of producing the product, but there won't be any demand until there's something that's different from what people have already bought.

I think one of the biggest tinplate flubs was canceling the transition cars that were cataloged in I think 2015.  Having ready made options to mix tinplate and lobster claw equipped rolling stock would have got me into tin sooner.  Now just as I am fully embracing my need for shiny things, there is nothing being delivered.  Let alone anything truly new.  How many decades until a different wheel arrangement in finally offered in tin steam? I am trying to stay O gauge, but what about taking some thing beautiful like the AF brass piper and shrinking it to O gauge?  A guy can dream can’t he?

George S posted:
Dennis Holler posted:

I didn't want to believe it, because my dealer certainly has pre-orders, but here you go... It's official! 

Just gonna have to start looking for junker 814R and 2814R cars to customize...

Dennis Holler posted:
George S posted:
Dennis Holler posted:

Just gonna have to start looking for junker 814R and 2814R cars to customize...

I have a plan if I can get the decals. I will probably pay for a new MTH 2814r so I don't have to bondo the name plate areas. I don't feel too bad stripping and MTH car, because they are new and pretty available.

Any idea what color roof that is? I may just go with brown, but that looks like a brownish red.

George

Mallard4468 posted:

I enjoy the tinplate reproductions and have bought many of them.  However, with a few exceptions, in the past few years it has been a case of "same item, different paint job".  How many 400E engines does a person need?  It's a catch 22 - the demand needs to be there in order to justify the cost and risk of producing the product, but there won't be any demand until there's something that's different from what people have already bought.

this be true,how many 400's and 260e and can you buy/ have,yes I believe the advent of road names and colors really helped ,as tinplate would have progress thur the ages,i would love to see box couplers on steam engines ,no brainer with ps3,what ever happened to the great lti vandy and mil dies,,,,they are "lost" a red or blue vandy,a black and silver Hiawatha ,with some freight cars,,,just deaming,,,along with the subway cars,,,,but as I said before ,we lived well on the diet of modern tin !

Mot sure George, Brown or flat brick red, it won't matter!  You know Jeff Kane offers 2814R door sets on his Train tender web site.   Another trick for covering up the old plate recess would be to cut a thin .005" section of Brass to fit the overall panel area and solder that in.  You would not need any bondo and it would be flat.  You can't tell once it is in there.  I figured that trick out based on some 816 hoppers I got.

IMG_2420

I don't think you an tell it was done to this car...

Attachments

Images (1)
  • IMG_2420
Dennis Holler posted:

Mot sure George, Brown or flat brick red, it won't matter!  You know Jeff Kane offers 2814R door sets on his Train tender web site.   Another trick for covering up the old plate recess would be to cut a thin .005" section of Brass to fit the overall panel area and solder that in.  You would not need any bondo and it would be flat.  You can't tell once it is in there.  I figured that trick out based on some 816 hoppers I got.

IMG_2420

I don't think you an tell it was done to this car...

Looks good. I found an MTH in perfect condition for $49, so I bought it. Decals are in R&D. Sent you an email... 

George

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.