Skip to main content

In another post Roundhouse Bill told us all that the 2018 AF items would be in one all-inclusive catalog issued by Lionel. That's how they used to show the Flyer stuff. So with 5 days to go what do you really want to see in the Lionel catalog as completely NEW for 2018?

I'll start the ball rolling with my vote for...

1. 57' mechanical reefers

2. Centerbeam flatcar

Mark

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Its hard not to be moderately impressed by what Lionel has done in S over the past decade - even though some of the QC/QA leaves something to be desired.  While I don't have any of the articulateds, I do have both the mikado and pacific from Lionel and I think the level of detail on them is really outstanding given the market.  Sure they aren't as spectacularly detailed as the really high-end stuff from River Raisin, et al., but I'm not that much of a rivet counter... (and neither is my wallet).  So, a steam engine approaching the mikado/pacific level of detail would be great - a Hudson, a decapod or my all time favorite, the UP 4-12-2 (someone, Lionel, MTH, ???, makes one of those in O).  For a diesel, how about some version of an SD-40 (an oft-kicked around request on this site).  I should also note that I recently acquired a Flyonel U-boat - again its pretty well done at a nice level of detail - a good model for what a diesel might look like in terms of detail

What I'd also like to see is the development of electronics that would make it possible to retrofit some of the Flyonel locos (not to mention the ACG-era stuff) with the latest and greatest command/control like bluetooth (which looks pretty slick to me - though I haven't done that... yet).

I'd also second some of the other suggestions made above - I have an EP5 which would be a good candidate for an electronics upgrade.  BTW, though at some point Flyonel had an EP5 dressed up in Milwaukee Road livery (GN too?), neither of those railroads had EP-5s in real life.  I'm not sure about Penn Central - presumably what they had would have been repainted NH locos.  Seems to me I read somewhere that there were only 10 of the 'jets' produced by GE - all originally for NH.

I could go for the 57' mechanical reefers and another run of cylindrical hoppers in non-fantasy roadnames with redesigned truck bolsters.   But, I'm not gonna hold my breath.

That said...

Strictly from the Flyer perspective, Lionel has never offered the Flyer walking brakeman car in a legitimate roadname, just that stupid zombie car.  If there ever was something that needed to be redeemed, it's that.

The PA's and EP5's need to have upgraded pilots like the GP7.  Here's another thought: A pair of powered GP7's that respond to the same F/C controller.

Lastly, I suspect the F/C Berkshire drive could be repurposed into a new F/C USRA Heavy Mikado.

And, if Lionel is looking for a high-end Legacy Flyer locomotive, complete the A.C. Gilbert legacy with:

2-6-6-6 C&O 1600

Rusty

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 2-6-6-6 C&O 1600
Last edited by Rusty Traque
Rusty Traque posted:

I could go for the 57' mechanical reefers and another run of cylindrical hoppers in non-fantasy roadnames with redesigned truck bolsters.   But, I'm not gonna hold my breath.

Agreed.  They teased us with the 57' reefers, then pulled the plug.  I pre-ordered a couple of them, and was disappointed they didn't follow through.

That said...

Strictly from the Flyer perspective, Lionel has never offered the Flyer walking brakeman car in a legitimate roadname, just that stupid zombie car.  If there ever was something that needed to be redeemed, it's that.

I wasn't sure, but I checked my Archives, and they did make a walking brakeman car in Santa Fe (6-49016 in 2004), Great Northern (6-49031 in 2006), and NYC (6-49022 in 2005).  There may have been more, but these are the ones I'm aware of.

The PA's and EP5's need to have upgraded pilots like the GP7.  Here's another thought: A pair of powered GP7's that respond to the same F/C controller.

If I read Lionel's instruction sheet for the Flyer Chief correctly, the controller will control like numbered locomotives at the same time.  Of course, if you want different numbers of the same road, you can still do it via a "numberectomy" on the shell to change it.  The electronics will remain the same and allow two units to be controlled with the same controller. 

Lastly, I suspect the F/C Berkshire drive could be repurposed into a new F/C USRA Heavy Mikado.

Good luck on that.

As far as what I'd REALLY like to see, how about better QC and more robust electronics.  Also, perhaps, interiors on their passenger cars.  But that would also mean redesigning the sheet metal frames and lighting.  That ain't happening either.  Longer boxcars would be nice.  The waffle sided cars were an attempt at this, and they are a tad longer than the traditional boxcar, but they took a shortcut in using the standard boxcar sheet metal frame.  It's a pity, since they had to design a slightly longer body from scratch and its mold.   While they were at it, why not the prototype's length?  A required longer frame wouldn't add THAT much to the price since the major expense is the plastic mold.  The frame, being simple sheet metal, would require a slightly longer piece of sheet metal and a slightly longer sheer and die to press it into shape. 

But we have to remember, we're talking about toys here,(not that there's anything wrong with THAT)not scale models.  For my money, I'll buy American Models' offerings any more.  They run and roll better, are more detailed, and they stock parts.  For instance, I just purchased two complete ALCo PA drive trains for a little project I have in mind.  And they didn't have to resort to cannibalizing returned units to do it.  . 

Rusty

Just my dos centavos,

I hate to rain on a parade, but are we REALLY doing this again -- what would you like to S-ee?  OK, I'll go along with it.

1) Something truly new (not seen before in body, road name, paint scheme, etc.) - like a Camelback, proportional American 4-4-0, proportional ten-wheeler (4-6-0 like Casey's #1), any one of the streamliner era steam or diesel/diesel-electric engines (a FC remake of the Gilbert 35X does not count).  As much as I like servicing what has been produced, when it comes to new, let's get out of this rut.   I don't even care about operating system -- make it conventional, just make it look good (like the Mikes and Mallies), run well, and last.  

Last edited by Sgaugian

Although they probably won't produce short term: the Reading T1 series - so many choices of engines and roads: in service, rambles, C&O Steam Special, Freedom Train, D&H Steam special, Blue Mountain & Reading etc. The T1s are very close in size to the Berks, but I don't count on it.

I love their passenger cars, but how about some with rounded roofs with interiors (LED lighting too).

I was told by a trusted source the most likely to appear in the catalog would be re-releases of the 2000 era.

We'll see, although Ryan and Dave were very responsive at York.

Roundhouse Bill posted:

This is fun.....But gee wiz Lionel made up their mind months ago and its already printed in the catalogs that are sitting in boxes in North Carolina.  

We probably won't see any aggressive items unless the long discussed Legacy Berkshire is there. I was told last April at York that this was still a possibility.  

And they've probably have their minds pretty well set for Vol 2.

All this supposition is fun and everyone has their favorites, but I'm really not expecting anything new.  Improved maybe, but truly new, no.

Tune in Tuesday...

Rusty

PHILA posted:

I'm with Roundhouse Bill on steam engines.  How about a 746 and 773 type steam engine.

Also, a FM would be nice too.

thanks,

Phil 

You mean like this from American Models?  Simple 3-position, reliable reverse unit and a smooth runner for $249.95.  $209.95 if you want simple DC which can be "updated" to your favorite control system by a qualified technician.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • blobid0

Not much point in talking about what we want in the 2018 Catalog, that is all determined. In future years I would still like a Legacy Berkshire and a Legacy NYC Hudson. Might be possible in 2019, more likely 2020.

An Erie Berkshire is in the mail to me, it takes a while to get to the west coast. I plan to run it for a couple of weeks then send it to Carl for the TMCC conversion. Check out the video on his website if you have not seen it.

poniaj posted:
PHILA posted:

I'm with Roundhouse Bill on steam engines.  How about a 746 and 773 type steam engine.

Also, a FM would be nice too.

thanks,

Phil 

You mean like this from American Models?  Simple 3-position, reliable reverse unit and a smooth runner for $249.95.  $209.95 if you want simple DC which can be "updated" to your favorite control system by a qualified technician.

Plus, they're available with scale wheels and Kadees at no extra cost. (In fact, 20 bucks less for a single, 30 bucks less for a pair than the AC versions...) :

KGB 112207 07

Rusty

Attachments

Images (1)
  • KGB 112207 07

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.