Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

CBQer posted:

Now that Atlas and others are in the soup, I wonder if Atlas will still be in attendance?

Dick

Why wouldn't they? Atlas O still has an obligation to their dealers and they have product out there to promote. Atlas O most likely paid in advance for their space to begin with. The only question is who are the guinea pigs going out there to face the music of their fans and followers?

https://ogrforum.ogaugerr.com/...37#80551019616743337

Last edited by prrhorseshoecurve

It is 11:08 Saturday night. This was a good meet. Tonight we were treated to a presentation by Tony Koester about his design on Winside that will be shown in an upcoming M.R. Well done. In addition, he was the keynote speaker last night at our dinner discussing trends in model railroading. Both talks were to the point and very informative. Thank you, Tony.

Dick

This was my first O Scale Convention and Dave and the rest of the team did an excellent job. Even though I live in the area and have the good fortune to work on and operate on Dave's and Bernie's layouts, I was amazed at the number of O scalers within a 45 minute drive of my home. The clinics were all useful and informative and the vendors were friendly and helpful and there were bargains aplenty. Seeing Tony Koester's Wingate in completed form was amazing; I had seen it in the planning stages and Tony is a very personable guy who gives a lot to this hobby.

Again, congratulations to Dave and Company for an outstanding job and providing a first-class experience!

Jeff

I enjoyed the show and it seemed to be well attended and put together to me but what do I know. I did my part and bought an engine. On the first day I went to the trading hall and there were at least 4 boxes of reasonably priced Atlas track for sale in the halls. I figured I'd come back and get a couple of boxes on Saturday. Nope, all gone.

The best part to me was meeting and talking to people at my open house. I enjoyed it thoroughly. We had well over a hundred people visit the layout, sometimes in waves.

"The best part to me was meeting and talking to people at my open house. I enjoyed it thoroughly. We had well over a hundred people visit the layout, sometimes in waves."

Chris how about a photo or two or didn't you have enough time, in return I will snap a photo or two for you!

Not that I have many visitors but any O scalers that turn up in Perth are always welcome.

100 people is not a bad effort or is that normal for America ?  I would be flat out to take 20 here is the door to the train Room. It's 30 X 30 room .

Roo.

DSC03095

Attachments

Images (1)
  • DSC03095

I too give my congratulations to Terry Terrance, Dave Vaughan, David Friedlander, Dan Pence, Pat Mitchell, Rich Randall, Ken Nesper, Andrew Dodge, and the myriad of others who contributed to an outstanding and memorable convention.  It was extremely well organized and ran very smoothly, and I know that happens only if a lot of hard work was put in

Like Chris, I bought a few things to help the O Scale economy.  I attended a few clinics, and even held one.  And I hosted my layout in three sessions.  My log book shows only 72 people came through.  Not as many as Chris, but I did run my Aerotrain.  Thanks to all who fought DC traffic to come by

I trust the committee is now taking a well-deserved rest

John

PS. you can find some photos of the convention action on their website:

https://twitter.com/OScaleNatl2018

Last edited by John Sethian

Oh my gosh! Great shot, Dan. It must have been just after we were discussing the toilet.

Roo,

Somehow the convention landed less than 8 miles from my home and I was not even involved in the committee or anything. My proximity was the big factor to people getting to my layout for certain.

I also asked to be signed up for every time slot for the open houses because I enjoy it so much. I was open 4 nights including full days on Saturday and Sunday. I would have even opened up for later hours, no problem, but I just took what they gave me. If 20 people would have arrived at my house at one time, I probably would have had a panic attack, but there was a really nice stream with a few waves. I know some people were squeezed in at some points but that just happens. There were other times when only 3 to 5 people were here and that was okay, too.

I think John points out a problem with the region in the traffic. Getting to my home in traffic is a minor problem at 8 miles away, getting to John's house and others in Washington rush hour, good grief.

My wife was the hostess here for a good part of the time, and she said she heard two guys talking about how bad the traffic is and, "Do you want to go to the next layout," and the response was, "No, let's just go back to the hotel." That's too bad because the other layouts in the area are great. I always encouraged people to get through it get to the next place. If I'd have known John was going to run the Aerotrain, I'd have advised otherwise.

I did not take any photos. By the end of Saturday evening, I thought I was going to lose my voice from talking to people so much. Very little break until later, around 7 on Saturday evening. I had a stash of peanuts, waters, and V8 juice to get me through. It really was a great time, though. To my relief, the trains behaved perfectly during the whole time except for one very minor instance.

I'd add my hi-five to John's to the committee from every aspect I saw at the trading halls and the show. It really looked to be going well.

Last edited by christopher N&W

Thanks for the heads up Chris.

I could handle 4-5 visitors at one time, when you said 100 I thought good grief ! Are they coming in buses?  The layout would be wrecked as well as the house!

I had eight blokes from a local club turn up once but because I knew they were coming I made sure I had plenty of coffee, tea and food that way they would not be in the room all at the same time!

Great stuff thanks.

Roo. (Neville.)  

Very good meet / show! Maybe the best sales I've had.........well, ever!  Well attended and clinics appeared to be quite popular. Nice models in the contest room - read about that in a future issue of OST. I know nothing about the layout attendance numbers although I have seen quite a few in the past being sort of local to the area.  Traffic can be a very real issue in the DC area, but I was surprised at how light it was as opposed to the normal insanity. 

Atlas, MTH, Key, were all there. Norm Pullen was on site, but not Bill Davis.....and no Scale City Designs.... Managed to find a few bit and bobs about the various rooms while also exercising considerable restrain - not one big trading pit room but several along a hallway and in the back of the hotel. Lots of very good bargains available and several that after I got home I regretted not buying. NMRA co-sponsorship appeared to work out, too.  All in all, file this one as a real success for an O scale convention in recent history. 

Sets the bar pretty high for future Nat'l conventions.  Ok, was there any mention of any kind made anywhere, anytime made regarding next year's convention?

railroad-guy posted:
mwb posted:

Sets the bar pretty high for future Nat'l conventions.  Ok, was there any mention of any kind made anywhere, anytime made regarding next year's convention?

Yes, although the Website has not been updated it will be at O Scale West. Basically the same O Scale West with a banquet ....  

Thanks; I knew that much, but was sort of hoping for more...........used to be something announced at the banquet.....  So it goes. 

Indy meet in a month!

Last edited by mwb

Besides being spared the nightmare of D. C. traffic for the most part, the other added benefit that the folks coming in from out of town got spared from was the free sauna and afternoon deluges that Mother Nature usually provides this time of year although as I did layout visits I noticed it creeping back in Sunday.

I attended two talks and two hands-on clinics. "Convert 3 Rail Equipment to 2 Rail: Why, How and Upgrades"  by  J. Sethian and it was excellent! I wish he could have talked and demonstrated more. Both the "Cardstock Structures (Hands-On)" by J. Gore and "Mold making and Casting (Hands-On)"  by J. Beckham were very informative, inspirational, and fun – the time flew by. Overall I thought it was a terrific event.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.