Skip to main content

I offered a realistic prediction. NOT what I hoped would happen. 

What i HOPE for is an accurate model of the ACF CENTER FLOW 4600 Cu Ft Capy, 3-bay covered hopper in O scale. 

What we will actually get are the paint schemes put on the existing ACF Center Flow, 4650 cu ft, 3-bay covered hoppers.

By now they have to have the regular BNSF Burlington Northern Santa Fe scheme on the ACF Center Flow, 4650 Cu. Ft., 3-bay covered  hoppers, but I predict that will not happen again. 

I predict these GTW and BNSF ACF Center Flow hoppers will get shut out again. 

gtw138188s03

BNSF-403373-GRAIN-CAR

Andrew

Attachments

Images (2)
  • gtw138188s03
  • BNSF-403373-GRAIN-CAR
Gene H posted:
I would like a Reading Camelback 4-4-2 Atlantic or a Reading I-10 Consolidation 2-8-0 or Premier Reading G-1 4-6-2 Pacific .

I doubt you will see the 4-4-2 Camelback as I too would love to see the PRR 4-4-2 Camelback.

prrCammelback-700s

However keep in mind you Can have a "Plan B" available to you. Its called International Hobby Corp 1950 4-4-2 brass camelback kit. And yes Virgionia, IT's based off a Reading Locomotive prototype!

PRRCammelbackproj8PRRCammelbackproj10PRRCammelbackproj11PRRCammelbackproj15PRRCammelbackproj16PRRCammelbackproj18

Yes its made of brass PLUS the best part is it's flanges are more tinplate width than Scale 2 rail including the tender. 

Keep in mind you would have to "beef up" the frame better but add a can motor [Original was an AC open would motor like a lionel Pulmore] and the TMCC or DCS and you are good to GO! Good luck!

Attachments

Images (7)
  • prrCammelback-700s
  • PRRCammelbackproj8
  • PRRCammelbackproj10
  • PRRCammelbackproj11
  • PRRCammelbackproj15
  • PRRCammelbackproj16
  • PRRCammelbackproj18
Last edited by prrhorseshoecurve
Carl Peduzzi posted:

Hey all.

Well, according to the MTH newsletter, the new catalog drops online Wednesday, October 17.  Regardless of what’s in the catalog, I always get excited for the possibility of new issues or exciting new paint schemes.

Does anyone have any predictions?

I predict that it will only contain exact reissues of engines and cars they've done before - meaning they will be identical in look and operating features to the prior versions.  

I say this with frustration and disappointment, as we started in the hobby about 7 years ago exclusively buying MTH products.  Over time we migrated to Lionel because the world of O gauge evolved - offering more play value (e.g. multitude of steamers with many steam effects and cars with rail sounds) - but MTH hasn't. 

Last edited by PJB
Engineer-Joe posted:
We can only hope that people like Thor will continue to offer pilots and parts for our wish list of 2 rail.

Maybe a SD70MAC next Thor? 

https://mthtrains.com/20-2710-1

Hah, well I don't own one of those yet, but anything is possible... 

I'm currently working on a pilot set for my Shay, which is a bit of a departure from the ones I've done so far. I'll post some details as it progresses.

I AM voting with my dollars and certainly ditto some of the comments above.  I may have bought a train car or two, but it seems like at least five years since l wanted anything in those expensive (fancier than car dealers', whose, oddly, stink lately, too) catalogs. I feel guilty picking up a catalog that l suspect and then verify contains only recycled reruns of roadnames l care diddly squat about.

The rumor approx 6-7 years ago was that MTH wasn't bothering to do anything other than regurgitate prior O gauge offerings for the US market (does anyone even recall that MTH coming out in the 1990s with myriad highly detailed scale models was a huge factor in  bringing O to a higher standard?) as it was investing deeply in Euro O because MTH was killing it in that market.  Well, unless MTH is issuing catalogues in Europe that aren't circulated here, then the core of MTH"s Euro offerings is comprised of the same 3-5 locomotives they've been regurgitating for say 6-8 or so years.  The jumbo, the crocodile, the 241, the royal coronation, and one other.

Unless there are Euro specific catalogues or the folks in Europe are happy to buy the same few reissues over and over again, then I can't see how MTH has been doing anything meaningful at all, in terms of actually putting out new O products, for almost a decade.  I know blue tooth and some other intelligence had been an MTH focus recently, but if my supposition on it's new train products is accurate (?) then MTH focusing on blue tooth etc. is almost like one car company in 2005 diverting all its attention to creating add-ons and operation upgrades for the 2005 models, and then not issuing any new car models for the next decade while all the other car companies continue to issue new models with more features.  

I'm not understanding their business model ...

PJB posted:

The rumor approx 6-7 years ago was that MTH wasn't bothering to do anything other than regurgitate prior O gauge offerings for the US market (does anyone even recall that MTH coming out in the 1990s with myriad highly detailed scale models was a huge factor in  bringing O to a higher standard?) as it was investing deeply in Euro O because MTH was killing it in that market.  Well, unless MTH is issuing catalogues in Europe that aren't circulated here, then the core of MTH"s Euro offerings is comprised of the same 3-5 locomotives they've been regurgitating for say 6-8 or so years.  The jumbo, the crocodile, the 241, the royal coronation, and one other.

Unless there are Euro specific catalogues or the folks in Europe are happy to buy the same few reissues over and over again, then I can't see how MTH has been doing anything meaningful at all, in terms of actually putting out new O products, for almost a decade.  I know blue tooth and some other intelligence had been an MTH focus recently, but if my supposition on it's new train products is accurate (?) then MTH focusing on blue tooth etc. is almost like one car company in 2005 diverting all its attention to creating add-ons and operation upgrades for the 2005 models, and then not issuing any new car models for the next decade while all the other car companies continue to issue new models with more features.  

Well, I live in the UK and, no we have no secret catalogues of European stuff (sigh). Just the same things being advertised until they sell out, I suppose.

Great shame

PJB posted:

I think MTH's creativity is done for o scale. Mike and his "crew" ( Andy E. Rich F, etc. ) Are up there in age and really want to retire.  Rumors abound that Mike W. Wants to sell off the company like Joe H. wanted to do with Weaver models. Unfortunately with demographic figures showing a declining interest in the hobby coupled that there is no one stepping up to the plate with deep pockets and any interest to keep the business going. Without the interest, there is no investment in new models, and a grim lookout of the future for the company.

PJB posted:

I know blue tooth and some other intelligence had been an MTH focus recently, but if my supposition on it's new train products is accurate (?) then MTH focusing on blue tooth etc. is almost like one car company in 2005 diverting all its attention to creating add-ons and operation upgrades for the 2005 models, and then not issuing any new car models for the next decade while all the other car companies continue to issue new models with more features.

Have you actually heard that MTH is considering adding Bluetooth?  Or are you just speculating?  I would be very excited about that.

"I think MTH's creativity is done for o scale. Mike and his "crew" ( Andy E. Rich F, etc. ) Are up there in age and really want to retire.  Rumors abound that Mike W. Wants to sell off the company like Joe H. wanted to do with Weaver models. Unfortunately with demographic figures showing a declining interest in the hobby coupled that there is no one stepping up to the plate with deep pockets and any interest to keep the business going. Without the interest, there is no investment in new models, and a grim lookout of the future for the company."

I see it that way, too. Right now there is still profit to be made in the 3RO hobby, but, I guess one reason is that so much of the tooling is paid for and old relationships exist. I have a feeling that we might come down to one "big" 3RO company (I used to think those boxes would be purple, but now I think they are more likely to be orange), a smaller one or two, and cottage industries. I can't complain personally - much I wanted was never made and now never will be (would that really ever end?) - and I have so much stuff that it actually bothers me (latent Puritanism?), but I have trouble selling it, both market-wise and emotionally. I never bought any of it to sell. And I often offer it at stupid-cheap prices. 

beachhead2 posted:
PJB posted:

I know blue tooth and some other intelligence had been an MTH focus recently, but if my supposition on it's new train products is accurate (?) then MTH focusing on blue tooth etc. is almost like one car company in 2005 diverting all its attention to creating add-ons and operation upgrades for the 2005 models, and then not issuing any new car models for the next decade while all the other car companies continue to issue new models with more features.

Have you actually heard that MTH is considering adding Bluetooth?  Or are you just speculating?  I would be very excited about that.

My apologies, I meant wifi and operation from your smart phone. 

Rusty Traque posted:

At least you O gauge guys have a catalog to complain about.  S gaugers haven't seen a new catalog from MTH in 5 years...  and it looks like the drought will continue.

Rusty

I had hopes - even expectations - that when MIke Wolf and his high-horsepower MTH entered the S-scale world, that S would finally start to get the respect it deserves, especially when Lionel was also doing S, old-AF and new S alike. MTH seemed to be the model RR company that was the 600-lb gorilla - when it rolled over, you rolled over.

But, no. If MTH and Lionel can't make S a major league format, it is truly doomed to footnote status. Too bad. It's almost the perfect size. (The perfect scale would be 1:56.)

D500 posted:

"I think MTH's creativity is done for o scale. Mike and his "crew" ( Andy E. Rich F, etc. ) Are up there in age and really want to retire.  Rumors abound that Mike W. Wants to sell off the company like Joe H. wanted to do with Weaver models. Unfortunately with demographic figures showing a declining interest in the hobby coupled that there is no one stepping up to the plate with deep pockets and any interest to keep the business going. Without the interest, there is no investment in new models, and a grim lookout of the future for the company."

I see it that way, too. Right now there is still profit to be made in the 3RO hobby, but, I guess one reason is that so much of the tooling is paid for and old relationships exist. I have a feeling that we might come down to one "big" 3RO company (I used to think those boxes would be purple, but now I think they are more likely to be orange), a smaller one or two, and cottage industries. I can't complain personally - much I wanted was never made and now never will be (would that really ever end?) - and I have so much stuff that it actually bothers me (latent Puritanism?), but I have trouble selling it, both market-wise and emotionally. I never bought any of it to sell. And I often offer it at stupid-cheap prices. 

Wow, I assumed MTH was a bigger operation and didn't rely on a few specific people for the company's survival.  

Don't want to digress this thread further, but this is one reason I have been reticent to buy locomotives from GGD and turnouts from RCS, as two examples.  As much as I think Steve is an awesome guy, has amazing products, and I've been to his place many times, I feel like RCS is 100% reliant on him being around. Same with Scott and GGD.  That's probably a  non-issue for most folks in this hobby who do their own repairs.  But  I'm a casual hobbyist and not at all educated on how to repair locomotives or turnouts. And frankly, with three children, don't have the time or desire to learn.  Love or hate Lionel (and Atlas for that matter), they are companies with leadership structues that provide stability and sustain each company's future despite people retiring or leaving.  This isnt a plug for Lionel or Atlas, or a knock on folks like Scott, Steve, or Mike Wolf, as I know honest pricing and product evolution only takes place through competition.  

D500 posted:

But, no. If MTH and Lionel can't make S a major league format, it is truly doomed to footnote status. Too bad. It's almost the perfect size. (The perfect scale would be 1:56.)

I am really curious how 1:56 is the perfect size? I can imagine it possibly from the standpoint of O gauge being too big and HO being too small but that is oddly specific.

I believe that Mike Wolf is one of the reasons thus hobby is still as strong as it is today.  He is  so passionate about this particular hobby, business, venue, that he would become an ignima ,involved in it to devote his life to it,  work it  create and offer unheard of products and the energy to excell in it.  Always offering more than we could expect with A+ product ù

The only other person I compare Mike to is Joshue Lionel Cohen.

He'll be around after many of us are gone and his Legacy will survive the test of time,

meanwhile you know the next catalog will offer something for everyone, period 

PJB posted:
D500 posted:

Wow, I assumed MTH was a bigger operation and didn't rely on a few specific people for the company's survival.  

Don't want to digress this thread further, but this is one reason I have been reticent to buy locomotives from GGD and turnouts from RCS, as two examples.  As much as I think Steve is an awesome guy, has amazing products, and I've been to his place many times, I feel like RCS is 100% reliant on him being around. Same with Scott and GGD.  That's probably a  non-issue for most folks in this hobby who do their own repairs.  But  I'm a casual hobbyist and not at all educated on how to repair locomotives or turnouts. And frankly, with three children, don't have the time or desire to learn.  Love or hate Lionel (and Atlas for that matter), they are companies with leadership structues that provide stability and sustain each company's future despite people retiring or leaving.  This isnt a plug for Lionel or Atlas, or a knock on folks like Scott, Steve, or Mike Wolf, as I know honest pricing and product evolution only takes place through competition.  

Ummm Scott Mann took over from his Father Mortt who built Sunset Models in the first place. Scott will be around for a while as long as the market supports his business.

prrhorseshoecurve posted:
PJB posted:
D500 posted:

Ummm Scott Mann took over from his Father Mortt who built Sunset Models in the first place. Scott will be around for a while as long as the market supports his business.

Scott Mann and Third Rail are topshelf

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.