Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

@Hent05 posted:

Wow they really look good BUT proposition 65 prohibits shipping to California. OUCH!

Hent05,

All boxcars produced after 2018, including these, are available to ship to California. There are about 30-40 boxcars that have the correct labeling. 

We've been proactive since the prop 65 came into effect and most everything released within that time span can be shipped to you. 

Unfortunately, the free box truck is not labeled in accordance to California's regulations.

Thank you,
Mark the Menards Train Guy

Re: Proposition 65.  What ever happened to the Freedom of Choice that Americans once enjoyed in the USofA from sea to shining sea?

You can't help but wonder what the Founding Fathers would think if they could see what is going on today in the USA. 

United We Stand, Divided We Fall?  Gads, what a thought......

P.S.  A message for Mark, the Menards Train Guy: Who determines which road names will be used on the rolling stock? 

@laming posted:

Question: Are those cars larger than a 6464?

Thanks.

Andre

I can’t say I know off the top of my head about the size comparison but generally the Menards box cars are more traditional sized cars similar to post war rolling stock.  Some of their flat cars a closer to scale or as I say close enough.  For the price you can’t beat Menards products. Rivet counters need not apply. 

Last edited by Chris Lonero

Thanks for the input, Chris.

I understand about rivets. Unfortunately, I'm still capable of counting them. (In my HO modeling.)

I'm trying to not be too picky with my fledgling 3-rail collection, however I confess that I have devised a set of "Givens n' Druthers" to guide me in my purchases. One of them being: No boxcars larger than the 6464's.

Reason for that is because I want all rolling stock to relate well proportionately with my choices of engines, which in a nutshell would be: PW Lionel cast frame FA's and Baby Hudson's and similar sized engines.

Seeing as there are zero Menard's in my region, I doubt I'll order one online for a look see.

Andre

Andre, Menards cars are based off of the old AMT/KMT/Williams cars, which are a little larger than 6464's.  They are closer in size to a scale Pennsy X29 boxcar.

Rusty

Thanks Rusty.

That helps me a lot. I thought I recalled from recent threads that the Menard's boxcars (like Rail King boxcars), are noticeably larger than the famed 6464 series car.

Lionel's Pennsy X29-type car is a great car for me to relate to, for the Greenberg book I have illustrates the X3854 (X29-type) alongside a 6454 (which is a tad smaller than a 6464). Vast difference.

I need to stick with my "known's". (6464's, 6454's, Industrial Rails, etc.)

Andre

@laming posted:

Thanks Rusty.

That helps me a lot. I thought I recalled from recent threads that the Menard's boxcars (like Rail King boxcars), are noticeably larger than the famed 6464 series car.

Lionel's Pennsy X29-type car is a great car for me to relate to, for the Greenberg book I have illustrates the X3854 (X29-type) alongside a 6454 (which is a tad smaller than a 6464). Vast difference.

I need to stick with my "known's". (6464's, 6454's, Industrial Rails, etc.)

Andre

K-Line had some "Goldilocks" cars:  Old Marx tooling (too small,) 1/4" scale sized (too big) and also their versions of the 6464's (just right.) 

Way back when, I had the K-Line 6464-ish Santa Fe "Map" series cars, they looked great behind my 204's.

Rusty

K-Line had some "Goldilocks" cars:  Old Marx tooling (too small,) 1/4" scale sized (too big) and also their versions of the 6464's (just right.) 

Way back when, I had the K-Line 6464-ish Santa Fe "Map" series cars, they looked great behind my 204's.

Rusty

Oh yeah! I had a ton of those K-Line 6464-wannabe's back in my 1990s Hey Day. Great cars. Had a ton of 'em including the map series. (BTW: 204's and 208's are my favorite stamp-frame FA's!)

I can find the K-Line 6464's (in singles) on The Bay, but that darn shipping is a deal breaker. Need to make some good train meets.

Train meets: Remember those? (Will we EVER be able to have train meets of old? NOT the "new" version of train meets: Cancelled or with so many restrictions that it neuters the meet experience.)

Rusty, you need to hop over to my "The Scent Of Ozone" thread and say "Hi". I've got some questions for you.

Anyway, back on topic:

The Menard's cars look great. Menard's is really providing a great service to 3-railers. I wish them the very best.

Andre

Last edited by laming

Nothing wrong with details however with my big clumsy paws and my eyes not being what they use to be the small details aren’t a big deal to me even in HO. How ever you enjoy the hobby is all that matters! 

SO true. I say "fun is where you find it".

To wit: If counting rivets is fun for you, go for it! If having the entire Mickey Mouse car collection is fun for you, go for it!

There is no wrong way for one to enjoy their hobby of trains.

Like a late-forumite (that I just can't remember the name of, so sorry) used to say decades ago in his sig line:

"It's a great big tent with room for everybody!"

Andre

P.S. I think the late-forumite that I refer to had "Bear" in some form in his nickname?

@Menards I'm new to the hobby as my grandfather left mytmy brother and I his collection after he passed a few years ago. I recently purchased a few box cars (weathered and graffitied cars) and I absolutely love them. I was wondering... Are you/have you made any passenger cars and/or sets? The passenger sets I've come across, when new, tend to run above well above my budget. Thanks!

...I was wondering... Are you/have you made any passenger cars and/or sets? The passenger sets I've come across, when new, tend to run above well above my budget. Thanks!

Thanks for your suggestion! While we have not made any passenger cars yet, it is a project we are looking at.

I'm curious of everyone's thoughts on passenger cars. Let me know if anyone has feedback.

1. What is a good length? 
2. What body style has the widest appeal?
3. What price would you be willing to pay?

Keep in mind, these won't necessarily be "scale" but we are in the business of having fun!

Thank you,

Last edited by Menards
@Menards posted:

Thanks for your suggestion! While we have not made any passenger cars yet, it is a project we are looking at.

I'm curious of everyone's thoughts on passenger cars. Let me know if anyone has feedback.

Keep in mind, these won't necessarily be "scale" but we are in the business of having fun!

Thank you,

Learn from the Lionel MPC 9500's.  How NOT to access the light bulbs.  Make it so easy George Jetson can change them out!

@Menards posted:

Thank you,

You might want to start a new thread on this topic. You will get lots of people commenting. 

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.