I got myself an old Lionel 2020 turbine. It ran ok out the UPS box but today I tore it apart and greased/oiled/snugged/resoldered everything. I assume it was original grease because it wasn't very grease-like when I pulled it out. I don't know what smoke pellets are made of but I there was residue all in the front of the loco. I oiled the whistle motor too because it just growled when I gave it a shot. Now it's good and loud!
It made a huge difference in the operation. Quieter and smoother. I pretty much couldn't run slow before. Anyway, I'm proud of it! This is one of my favorite engines ever because it's just a full blown bruiser. I can't wait to get the actual layout started. The test loop isn't too much excitement haha