Skip to main content

@jim mcclain - Thanks for your comment on my house.  Yes, those pasteboard (Made in Japan) houses were popular as under the Christmas tree village components for many years.  Certainly through most of the 1950's.  Your story must be a wonderful memory.  I know I got the Santa Fe A-B-A and the 25xx "Silver..." passenger cars around 1954.  While I was thrilled at the time I didn't know until I did some price/inflated $ research recently what a tremendous financial outlay that was at the time for my parents.  I don't know how they managed to afford it.   I guess we were just incredibly lucky kids at the time.

Best wishes for Christmas in 2022!!

Don

There are so many outstanding Christmas displays and thank you for sharing them. A general observation would be that we all got started with our interest in trains as part of our childhood anticipation of Christmas. I had not anticipated a Christmas scene but now I’m thinking how can I not.

My question is: Which buildings, Dept. 56, etc. match up closest to the scale?

Thank you, Jay

Well, we travel about 1155 miles for Christmas so the layout gets done at that location and not here so its fairly simple.  Here are some "Christmas" like scenes from our layout at home and other places.

The citizens of Small Town have started to get the town tree ready for decoration.  McDonalds already has their tree on the sidewalk.

Layout Small Town Center

Here is an interesting fellow, returning from summer vacation in Florida but trying to hitch a ride to the North Pole.

Lionel F3 and Santa

Here are some new Christmas houses that should make it to the layout this year.

Christmas houses 1

Hey look at that, looks like that fellow managed to get a ride from the Central !

Lionel NYC work caboose with Santa

Everybody around town is buying and bringing home their tree.

Christmas Tree on Trailer

Best Wishes

Don

Attachments

Images (5)
  • Layout Small Town Center
  • Lionel F3 and Santa
  • Christmas houses 1
  • Lionel NYC work caboose with Santa
  • Christmas Tree on Trailer
In 2020, which is pre-HO layout distractions, I directed my hobby funds to a bunch of FasTrak and built the Christmas layout of my dreams - because what else did I have to do during lockdown!?
2020.JPG
Video of it in operation...
By 2021, a tubular O-gauge trolley out-and-back with crossover and reversing loop had been added.
2021.JPG
Last year my then 4-year-old only wanted to run the trolley, and didn't like the trains because they were too loud in her opinion.  Sure enough, this year we started talking about the Christmas layout in October and all she wanted was trolley.  So...thanks to Menards I expanded a bit.  Now with two switches wired so they throw simultaneously in the same direction, and "select" between two different stations.  She hasn't stopped running it at every chance!
AnyRail.JPG
Video of it in operation...
Merry Christmas, and happy holidays to all!  Thanks to everyone for posting and adding to the inspiration for next year!

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.