Skip to main content

Just stopped by my LHS and took a quick look, as I didn't have much time, at the new catalog. A new Legacy Pacific in 6 roadnames, heavyweight passenger hospital cars, some new tankcars W/O platforms, annual Christmas cars, one with music and reruns of the previous heavyweights and EP5's. Probably to get additional orders. A few anniversary offerings and some additional things that I didn't pay much attention to.

Last edited by richabr
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

@richabr posted:

Just stopped by my LHS and took a quick look, as I didn't have much time, at the new catalog. A new Legacy Pacific in 6 roadnames, heavyweight passenger hospital cars, some new tankcars W/O platforms, annual Christmas cars, one with music and reruns of the previous heavyweights and EP5's. Probably to get additional orders. A few anniversary offerings and some additional things that I didn't pay much attention to.

New Haven EP5’s? Are they Legacy or traditional?

@Ukaflyer posted:

They were keeping it hidden all these years so that they could re-introduce it especially for the 75th anniversary and hope people didn’t know it existed.

Well, I have a Chicago and Alton set and a B&O USRA Pacific (assuming that is the loco we are talking about) like Rusty's. Being TMCC fitted with Seuthe smoke units, I am absolutely sure that my previously purchased ones are technically superseded by a new Legacy Pacific. But, owning two samples of the previous engine takes the shine off of the reissues for me. Maybe, one will be able to obtain parts for a partial upgrade of the older Pacific (and Mikado) steamers. I shall look at the new catalog with interest.

Bob

Last edited by Bob Bubeck

If I remember right the Flyer Legacy pacific MSRP was $599 although I may be "misremembering."

Didn't check if the EP5's were Legacy, I assumed they were Flyerchief as before.

As soon as I saw Pacific, my first thought was "I hope they changed out the sleuth unit." I'm not an expert on pacific variations but it sure looked like the TMCC version. B&O was one of the offerings.

Catalog had a lot of items, just nothing that rang my bell as I glanced at it.

@Bob Bubeck posted:

Well, I have a Chicago and Alton set and a B&O USRA Pacific (assuming that is the loco we are talking about) like Rusty's. Being TMCC fitted with Seuthe smoke units, I am absolutely sure that my previously purchased ones are technically superseded by a new Legacy Pacific. But, owning two samples of the previous engine takes the shine off of the reissues for me. Maybe, one will be able to obtain parts for a partial upgrade of the older Pacific (and Mikado) steamers. I shall look at the new catalog with interest.

Bob

I have a Mikado with a failed Seuthe smoke unit. Still a very nice engine and I can live without the smoke, it wasn’t that impressive when it did work. Not sure if the 50/60 Hz was a problem as the sound is all screwed up as well, known  problem at the time.

I have a Mikado with a failed Seuthe smoke unit. Still a very nice engine and I can live without the smoke, it wasn’t that impressive when it did work. Not sure if the 50/60 Hz was a problem as the sound is all screwed up as well, known  problem at the time

Hopefully they squeezed one of currently used units into the smaller shell.

It is this engine pictured below. It is a "light" Pacific #6-48061, from the Lionel 2008 Vol.2 catalog. Catalog price was $649.99. These are TMCC with Seuthe smoke units. Go to Carl Tuvesons web site, he has an off the shelf mod to retrofit an MTH fan driven smoke unit, 4 chuffs/revolution and cruise control. These are very nice engines, equal in detail to the Y-3. This and the Mikado were made from all new tooling. There has not been a Legacy pacific made to date.

@richabr posted:

I am still confused.  Is that photo from the new catalog or of an old engine?  Can anybody confirm it is the old tooling or did they make new

It's not really a photo, it's the type of images used in all the catalogs. Difficult to tell without an actual comparison of catalogs.

Lionel in the past used images of the O Gauge version with the third rail photoshopped out or Flyer track photoshopped in...

I can wait a week.  They're not going to be produced any faster because of a catalog leak.

Rusty

Last edited by Rusty Traque

These are nice engines, now I am excited to see the catalog.

Here are two pictures. One shows the engine pulling away from a station, fan driven smoke makes a major difference. The other one is the NYC (it is the Mikado version) sitting in front of a Santa Fe Y-3. The detailing is excellent on these engines from 15 years ago.267D1286-DFDE-4F97-AB10-86D673850A7667852168-1A2E-4B0F-87E7-D3053D8AA01D

Attachments

Images (2)
  • 267D1286-DFDE-4F97-AB10-86D673850A76
  • 67852168-1A2E-4B0F-87E7-D3053D8AA01D
@Rocco posted:

If this is correct (And I have no reason to believe it is not), what a disappointment.  No new tooling.  No bringing back a Gilbert item from the past or even one they were going to build and didn’t.

I expected something really special for the 75th.

sigh

—Rocco—

I was hoping for a reissue of the 933 boxcar with a big 75 on the side...

Tom Stoltz

in Maine

Yep, although it was the other way around as the Mikado came out first.

Rusty

The Berkshire/Pacific/most likely the Mikado down the road are some positives for S scale folks. I have doubts that Lionel will revive the old Flyer Hudson and K-5 which are NYC and PRR specific. The USRA steam engines can be painted for a large number of roads without having to go fantasy. With tooling so expensive my hunch is if Lionel produces more S gauge steam it will be scale sized capable of navigating Gilbert sized curves. A scale version of the USRA 0-6-0 or 0-8-0 (hello Nickel Plate Road!) are a couple more steam locomotives that a lot of railroads owned.

@MTN posted:

The USRA steam engines can be painted for a large number of roads without having to go fantasy.

Oddly enough, they are fantasy paint schemes.  (But at least they're not outrageously painted...) Only the Atlantic Coast Line, Baltimore & Ohio and Louisville & Nashville bought USRA Light Pacific's.  Only other roads that bought what are known as "copies," purchased after the USRA was dissolved, were the Grand Trunk Western and Mobile and Ohio (merged later into the GM&O.)

No other roads bought USRA Light Pacific's or copies.

Now, the USRA Light Mikado: That was a locomotive purchased by a pretty good number of railroads.

Rusty

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.