Skip to main content

Hi all. I see that the National Convention is happening near my home. What happens there? Is it like a big train show? I’m considering joining TCA so that I can attend. I would appreciate candid opinions. Doubt that I’ll ever get to York, as I live in SoCal. Thank you.

Last edited by ChiBoyinLA
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The TCA convention is typically more than just a big train show; however, I am only familiar with pre-pandemic conventions and am not sure what the schedule is this year.

The convention typically lasts a week, with various tours being offered each day (again, pre-pandemic), with the trading hall being open on Friday and Saturday.

The tours typically highlight local/regional attractions and include layout tours.  I know that one of my friends is having his house open for an evening visit.

Again, this year's convention has been shuffled due to the pandemic, as the convention is typically held the last week of June and this year the location has been changed from Irvine? or somewhere else in Orange County, to Burbank and is being held in mid August. 

I was planning on visiting my friend for this year's convention, but as the date was up-in-the-air for quite some time, I ended up scheduling something for the week of the convention, prior to the current date being announced, so I am not going this year.

NWL

The 2021 TCA National Convention in Southern California will start this coming week, hosted by the Western Division. The first 3 of the 16 total tours are Wednesday during the day, with the highlight being a visit to the Southern California Railway Museum in Perris, where the famous Red Cars will be running, and Ward Kimball's Narrow gauge Grizzly Flats RR will be on display. That evening is the Welcome Party at the Los Angeles Marriott Burbank Airport Hotel. The buffet dinner will feature a silent auction with 69 lots. Thursday's events include 3 more tours. That night will feature a party at the Valley Relic Museum. Friday is the first day of trading in the marketplace, which will feature over 130 trading tables. And Friday evening is the traditional Home Layout Tours. Table trading and sales continues on Saturday, and this is the only day that the trading hall is open to the public ($20 entry fee). Saturday evening is the banquet, featuring an after dinner auction of 23 special lots of very collectible items. There are still tickets available for many of the tours, as well as for some of the other events, and any TCA members who have not registered yet, can still do so on-site, during the published hours that the registration desk will be in operation. For more information on the schedule of events, please visit https://www.tcaconvention.org or for the complete schedule visit here: https://tcaconvention.org/Schedule%20of%20Events.html

This year the convention is also featuring an Expo that the public may attend for free. The Expo features operating layouts, seminars and a special display of antique toy trains. For more information on the Expo visit this page: http://www.tcawestern.org/expo.htmTCA-Logo-REVISED�Color-Gradient

Attachments

Images (1)
  • TCA-Logo-REVISED�Color-Gradient

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.