Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

@TRAINMANTIM posted:

I agree about the two sets. Especially the Texas & Pacific set. Really like the swamp holly scheme.

The T&P set has a nice selection of cars, reminiscent of an old Gilbert Flyer set.  The Clinchfield GP7 is sort of an odd choice of roadname.

One thing I'm curious about, Ryan mentioned the set boxcars were Railsounds boxcars.  Why have two sound units?  I wonder if the Geeps have had the FlyerChief sounds deleted?  Guess we'll know tomorrow.

Rusty

@jonnyspeed posted:

Here's hoping there are some actual scale products in the catalog tomorrow.

@Jim S posted:

I'm only interested in scale items.  With me, it's either scale, or no sale!  

I tend to think if there were anything for the scale crowd, something would have been highlighted or hinted at in the presentation.

Of course, there's always the possibility of a blue and yellow A.C. Gilbert 75th Anniversary SD70, ES44 or cylindrical hopper...

Rusty

The T&P set has a nice selection of cars, reminiscent of an old Gilbert Flyer set.  The Clinchfield GP7 is sort of an odd choice of roadname.

One thing I'm curious about, Ryan mentioned the set boxcars were Railsounds boxcars.  Why have two sound units?  I wonder if the Geeps have had the FlyerChief sounds deleted?  Guess we'll know tomorrow.

Rusty

The T&P set has a freight sounds boxcar. Here are the features for the O Gauge freight sounds boxcars.

• Realistic sound that replicates train sounds play when car is in motion
    • Rail clatter
    • Wheel flange squeal
    • Coupler slack bumping
  • Each car includes a BABY FATBOY SPEAKER & sound enclosure for optimum sound performance
  • Operates on any conventional or command control layout
  • Volume control and on/off switch
  • Maximum / Minimum switch

It's a cool piece of rolling stock but I wish they would have put in a volume pot because the wheel flange squeal sound specifically is a bit loud.

@TRAINMANTIM posted:

The T&P set has a freight sounds boxcar. Here are the features for the O Gauge freight sounds boxcars.

I saw that once the actual catalog was up.

Anyway, the T&P set is particularly nice, it's very tempting, as is the Wabash GP7, but other than the NH EP5 I have on order, my interest in traditional Flyer has fallen by the wayside.

As I mentioned in my other thread, this is a good catalog for the traditional guys.

Rusty

The S gauge Freight Sounds boxcars are quite nice. I have four of them. One of the nice features of the S gauge version is the LED's embedded in the trucks that simulate wheel sparking. They are surprisingly realistic.

The S gauge Freight Sounds boxcars have two adjustment controls, one for volume and one to adjust how frequently the sound effects occur.

There are no Legacy engines in the new catalog so I can sit this one out.

@AmFlyer posted:

The S gauge Freight Sounds boxcars are quite nice. I have four of them. One of the nice features of the S gauge version is the LED's embedded in the trucks that simulate wheel sparking. They are surprisingly realistic.

Wait: what? "Sparking" is now an added feature? Heck, most of my PW Flyer stuff "sparks": does this now mean they are worth more?  😁

Mark in Oregon

The fake sparking effect is so realistic I cleaned the wheels twice before taking the time to actually look at the trucks in detail. Do not count on a value increase on the old stuff! I think Lionel did not do the best job marketing these box cars. With the volume controls they blend in subtly and realistically with other sounds. I initially bought one only because it was decorated for Vesuvius Crucible, a local Pittsburgh operation. I liked it so much I bought three more in different road names so multiple trains had a car in them.

All the S gauge Freight Sounds cars are the same except for the decorating. Below is a picture of my TP&W. The second shows the entire underside. The volume control pot is visible along with the slide switches for “On-Off’ and for “More or Less Frequent” effect rate.

The third picture is a closeup of a truck. The white item is the power connector, the black item adjacent to that is the LED pack for the sparking effect. Neither the Catalog description nor the full catalog cut mentioned the sparking effect. It was a pleasant surprise when I got the first car, after I figured out the wheels were not just dirty and really sparking.

29CFB20C-F499-44DF-9478-775A8C1D25073B75CA0D-8D7F-4A07-915A-547D3328908700954D4C-48B8-4958-9053-3A18F79BFF23

Attachments

Images (3)
  • 29CFB20C-F499-44DF-9478-775A8C1D2507
  • 3B75CA0D-8D7F-4A07-915A-547D33289087
  • 00954D4C-48B8-4958-9053-3A18F79BFF23
Last edited by AmFlyer
@AmFlyer posted:

The fake sparking effect is so realistic I cleaned the wheels twice before taking the time to actually look at the trucks in detail. Do not count on a value increase on the old stuff!

I guess I wasn't clear: I've tried to REDUCE sparking, thinking it was due to dirty wheels. Now we have Lionel offering rolling stock that, through more electronic magic (and perhaps at a higher cost) sparks on purpose! One wonders what's next...😄

Mark in Oregon

Mark, you were quite clear. With clean wheels and SHS solid rail track nothing sparks any more. That was why I was so shocked when I put the first FreightSounds car on the layout. I was going to fire the maintenance team, but that would have been me!

The optical sparking effect is visible on my layout even during the day. As is visible in the picture I have the effects slide switch at "minimum" so it only sparks maybe every 10' to 20'. I run most freights on Line 1 on my layout and that is 170' around, so a spark every 10' to 20' is still a lot.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.