Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

OK.  All the fancy-schmancy electronic gee-gaws aren't my wheelhouse, so I'll skip those.

Y3's:

Nice to see them back, probably Lionel's best Flyer locomotive.  $700 increase over the 2012 run.  Ouch.  Whistle steam included.  DCC compatibility included.  Can't help but notice the illustrated models suffer from the rear engine eccentric crank being in the wrong position.  Hopefully that will be corrected in production...

PA's:

As mentioned by Erie Modeler above, pilot covers have been added like the original Gilbert PA's.  Nice touch, makes the locomotives more appealing when viewed.  Looks like the pilot cover might be removable as the features mention a non-operating front coupler is included.  $800.  Up $100 over 2017.  No mention of DCC compatibility.

The Gold Bonnet set:

Yep, there was a prototype for this Santa Fe set.  It was a GE sales promotional train in 1960 consisting of the PA, baggage car and three coaches.  It lasted only a month or so traveling in California.  The model was a good seller in O for both Lionel and MTH, so it was only natural it would show up in the Flyer lineup.

FlyerChief Freight Sets:

Nothing really new here except for a roadname change and $20 price increase on the Gravel set.

Passenger Car Sets:

Four sets with add on sets in roadnames to match the PA's in this catalog.  The New Have four car set suffers from cut-'n-pastitis, is listed as a two car set with the two car price.

Freight Cars:

Wood chip hoppers are a good adaptation for the triple hopper cars, although the loads look like tan painted coal loads.  2 numbers for the wood chip cars.  4 numbers for the coal hoppers.  Over all, a good selection of roadnames for all of the freight cars.  Looks like some cars went up $5.00.

Polar Express:

New boxcar and locomotive upgraded to Bluetooth 5.0

Track:

No new additions.

Conclusion:

Overall, I think it's a pretty good catalog, especially for the Flyer traditionalist.  Price increases were to be expected, but with the Y3 nearly doubling in price in 10 years, well that might cool some interest.  Is whistle steam worth an extra $700???  We'll see.

I always hold out on very teeny-tiny glimmer of hope that there would a new scale freight car (like the 2014 cancelled 57' mechanical reefer) but nope, not this time.

Rusty

Last edited by Rusty Traque

Y3's:

Nice to see them back, probably Lionel's best Flyer locomotive.  $700 increase over the 2012 run.  Ouch.  Whistle steam included.  DCC compatibility included.  Can't help but notice the illustrated models suffer from the rear engine eccentric crank being in the wrong position.  Hopefully that will be corrected in production...

Let’s hope they correct the crank for you. Then you need to put in a back order asap for a spare wheel assembly before others get one before you.

Nice to see the Y3 back. At the price listed it would be nice if the Legacy boards were the O gauge 200 absolute speed step versions rather than the 200 relative speed step version used so far in S gauge. However I doubt that is the case since the engine is DCC compatible and does not include Bluetooth. I plan to order at least the PRR version.

PA's:

As mentioned by Erie Modeler above, pilot covers have been added like the original Gilbert PA's.  Nice touch, makes the locomotives more appealing when viewed.  Looks like the pilot cover might be removable as the features mention a non-operating front coupler is included.  $800.  Up $100 over 2017.  No mention of DCC compatibility.

DCC compatibility is confirmed on page 11.

@Ed Kelly posted:

Just curious.  Does the Y-3 come with scale wheels?

Thanks,

Ed

The only scale wheel option was for the original run of Y3's back in 2012.  It was an after market conversion done by Fred Rouse of S Scale Locomotive and Supply.  The conversion was $500 plus another $75 for programming in DCC, which wasn't included by Lionel at the time.

Fred did conversions for as long as his material lasted.  He retains the SS&LS name, but has sold off the tools and inventory.

Rusty

@AmFlyer posted:

I doubt AM will be reworking their 4-8-4. Why not just go with River Raisin. Lionel is not in the S scale market, only the nicely detailed high rail business.

River Raisin hasn't made a 4-8-4.  They did make SP 4-8-2's and they still command over 2 grand when you can find one.

Plus most RR large steam requires at least 36" radius.  My MT4 didn't like my 33" radius at all.

Rusty

Attachments

Images (1)
  • mceclip0

Rusty, that is a nice engine. I look at RR once in a while but some of their engines will not work on my 30"R track. I was looking at the RR Sharks in their inventory but the PRR would be a no go because with scale wheels I need at least two powered units to pull on the 2.5% grades. That leaves the NYC A&B units. After paying for the conversions to Legacy and shipping it would be over two grand for a road name I did not especially want. Guess I will stay with Lionel for now.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
330-757-3020

www.ogaugerr.com
Link copied to your clipboard.